Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

UNBELIEVABLE! New JKU hit today....

Old 09-29-2011, 04:34 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UNBELIEVABLE! New JKU hit today....

So my one month old (600 mi) '12 JKU was hit today. The cliff notes......A neighbor lady was making a U-turn today in our development and somehow managed to hit my Jeep. As you can tell, she hit the front left corner of the bumper and also clipped the wheel/tire. There's a small gash in the wheel that's hard to see, but it's there. Tire just has scrape marks. I wasn't to worried until I went to take the Jeep for a drive. The alignment is way off, there's a noise coming from that side, and the ESP goes on and off. My Jeep is officially out of commission! It's going to have to be towed to get looked at. I'm not sure what to do until I get the word on actual damage, but I'm just at a loss of words right now. I'm a nursing student and don't need this added stress right now (anybody who's a nurse or a nursing student would understand)

Old 09-29-2011, 04:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Sorry to hear that. I hope you get it all taken care of through her insurance.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

From the look of how the plastic bumper was folded, and the fact that it looks like she hit the tire, pushing it in, before she hit the bumper, it looks like your Jeep took a pretty good hit. The factory tie rods are weak and you may have gotten it bent or worse something else got bent.

Definately go through the normal insurance route, then if it's simple like the tie rod take the money directly instead of dropping off at a shop. But have it checked out at the LEAST! You can get a really good aftermarket tie rod with that same money, maybe cheaper.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Wow that sucks man. hope you are able to get it all sorted out.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:58 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get a nice aftermarket bumper out of this!
Old 09-29-2011, 04:59 PM
JK Freak

I would just deal with her direct maybe and ask for $200. and then go out and buy urself a stubby front bumper. That way ur rates do not go up at all and it would be cheaper for her and all would be happy. Just an idea but good luck ..
Old 09-29-2011, 05:06 PM
JK Freak

How fast was she going during that u-turn? And how did she not see a big Jeep?
Old 09-29-2011, 05:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Cosmetically it looks like just a bumper however I wouldn't be surprised if it messed with your suspension and possibly steering. Make sure axles, tir rod, drag link or any of those components aren't bent. It might not be noticable to the naked eye so make sure they double check those..

Like someone said, have them pay you the repair fees then go for some aftermarket parts usually about r in the same cost as dealerships have a hefty mark up for stock items..
E
My sister in laws an RN so I know what you're going through. Good luck.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:26 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should file an insurance claim with your neighbor's insurance and have the dealership check out your Jeep. I would get them to repair the damage to the steering components, if any, and buy an aftermarket bumper.

Good luck and sorry for the hassle.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:27 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BrettDez
From the look of how the plastic bumper was folded, and the fact that it looks like she hit the tire, pushing it in, before she hit the bumper, it looks like your Jeep took a pretty good hit. The factory tie rods are weak and you may have gotten it bent or worse something else got bent.

Definately go through the normal insurance route, then if it's simple like the tie rod take the money directly instead of dropping off at a shop. But have it checked out at the LEAST! You can get a really good aftermarket tie rod with that same money, maybe cheaper.
Insurance company all ready notified. Hopefully they'll make it right and not try to low-ball me on an estimate. I've never dealt with an issue like this so not sure what to expect....

Originally Posted by teamgreen666
I would just deal with her direct maybe and ask for $200. and then go out and buy urself a stubby front bumper. That way ur rates do not go up at all and it would be cheaper for her and all would be happy. Just an idea but good luck ..
$200 would barely cover the cost for someone to look at the alignment/steering issues.

Originally Posted by 20JK10
How fast was she going during that u-turn? And how did she not see a big Jeep?
Must have been going pretty fast because the tires were turned opposite direction as you see in that pic. Her car sustained pretty good damage to the bumper, grill, and hood. How did she not see jeep? Well maybe the dog in the car and the McDonalds food she had on her lap caused a bit of a distraction

Quick Reply: UNBELIEVABLE! New JKU hit today....