Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Unbelievable

Old 09-23-2010, 07:31 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unbelievable

I was helping my brother yesterday put his hard top on his 96 Jeep Wrangler. He told me he was pulled over the other day by cop because according to the cop, his tires were too wide. The cop said that when it rains or snows it would throw up to much rain or snow.

I would think the cops would have something better to do that pull somebody over because their tires were too wide.

Has this happened to anybody else?
Old 09-23-2010, 07:43 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep

Here:

And again:

And what we had to do to our jeep:
Old 09-23-2010, 07:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Really?

Was it Officer "Fatty Mcbutterpants"?

My guys don't nit pick with shit like that unless you drug about 60 lbs of mud on the highway.......if we get calls ...then you get a ticket, and frankly its just not that many calls on jeeps that don't have mud flaps. (and yes it is a law but it isn't enforced here in Fart-Land.)

you weren't out of state by chance? (with an out of state tag?)

Last edited by d2constable; 09-23-2010 at 08:04 AM.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:01 AM
JK Newbie

No. My brother lives in South Minneapolis and has Minnesota plates. Must have been a slow day for police work.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MN10JKMountain
No. My brother lives in South Minneapolis and has Minnesota plates. Must have been a slow day for police work.
X2.

I get onto my guys sometimes ....for harrassing the local people...especially around election time.

Im sure they could find something better to do, and at the most a warning would have sufficed. I see it was the Hwy Patrol pretty good guys...generally. Its possible they were C.I.U. (criminal interdiction units) and they were using wide tires as PC (probable cause) to get a good look at your rig.

Last edited by d2constable; 09-23-2010 at 10:06 AM.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:25 PM
JK Newbie

i got a warning in my xj, the tires stuck out about 4''

Mudguards
66. (3) Every motor vehicle and every trailer shall be equipped with mudguards or fenders or other device adequate to reduce effectively the wheel spray or splash of water from the roadway to the rear thereof, unless adequate protection is afforded by the body of the motor vehicle or trailer or by a trailer drawn by the motor vehicle. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 66 (3).

Summary: Your wheels can stick out all they want, but when it is wet this law can be used against you. This law is subjective to the police officers opinion. The body of the vehicle (including your fender flares) must reduce effectively the wheel spray or you will need to have mudguards installed, or wider fender flares. This offence can only be issued when the roads are wet. If you are leaving huge rooster tails behind your 35's, you can expect a ticket.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before my stock tires on my Rubicon wore down, I could get a good rooster tail in the snow and rain. How are these legal but wider tires are not.

No logic in this whatsoever.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:24 PM
JK Newbie

MN10JK, I'm reading your thread thinking wow that sucks...what an anal dink-a-saurus...wonder where your brother lives...and uh-oh, you're my neighbor. What town is he in. Was it a local or a trooper. I'm in Northfield. We'll have to trade dealer stories sometime.

Chowbird
Old 09-24-2010, 06:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default cops

we don't mess with the Jeeps around here.......unless they got more Mods than ours.

sorry for the crappy cell pic.

Better Luck with the Po Po next time.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:59 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Chowbird
MN10JK, I'm reading your thread thinking wow that sucks...what an anal dink-a-saurus...wonder where your brother lives...and uh-oh, you're my neighbor. What town is he in. Was it a local or a trooper. I'm in Northfield. We'll have to trade dealer stories sometime.

Chowbird
My brother lives in South Minneapolis. I live in Monticello.
The cop was a Hennipin County Deput Sheriff.
Definitely have to share dealerstories.

Any places around Northfield you can take a Jeep off road?

Quick Reply: Unbelievable