Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Ultra short sockets?

Old 05-29-2011, 08:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultra short sockets?

I am trying to get the the bolt on the passenger side upper control arm torqued to spec, you know the one blocked by the exhaust.

I cannot get my wrench up there with a standard socket. Does anyone know where I can find some ultra short or low profile sockets (1/2")?
I have looked online and can't fid anything.
Other suggestions welcome.

Thanks
Old 05-29-2011, 08:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Craftsman and a few others make ratchetable box wrenches.. That should do the trick.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:25 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A ratchet wrenching what you need. That's what I used. Worked great once you shimmy your hand in there.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:27 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 270 Posts

I agree with the previous posters, although that doesn't solve your problem of getting a torque wrench in there.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:29 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use a gear wrench. Make it tight.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:56 AM
JK Super Freak

You could use crows foot wrenches. They look like an open end wrench with a cut out for your ratchet to go into
Old 05-29-2011, 12:58 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Bonedoc
You could use crows foot wrenches. They look like an open end wrench with a cut out for your ratchet to go into
If this will work, turn the crowfoot opening at 90° to the torque wrench handle. If you can't do that and must keep it in line with the handle, you'll need to make an adjustment to the torque value--Google can help you figure that out. But, I don't think a crowfoot can get in there-- or I overlooked that possibility when I ran into the same issue.
Old 05-29-2011, 02:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the input, until I get it torqued to spec the paranoid side of me will just check it everyday. Wonder if I could get somebody to shave a few cm's off of a standard socket???? We'll see. Thnks again.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:00 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by GeoJeep33
Thanks for the input, until I get it torqued to spec the paranoid side of me will just check it everyday. Wonder if I could get somebody to shave a few cm's off of a standard socket???? We'll see. Thnks again.
Don't be so paranoid. Taking off a few CM on a bench grinder would be an easy job. Just use the gear wrench.

If you want to be semi sure, set up a bolt in a vise, and pull the required torque as many times as you feel you need to judge it. You would be very surprised at how accurate you can be at the same length. When I was working navigation, I would have to torque a bolt to 140ft/lbs with an 18" torque bar on a daily basis. Always set it first with a breaker bar. After a while I was just about there every time, 1/8 of a turn or so. As long as you know how hard to pull (and you need the torque wrench for that) you can be close enough by feel. +/- 10% easy.

If that doesn't work for you get the crows foot wrench.

Quick Reply: Ultra short sockets?