Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

U-Haul wouldn't rent me a trailer :(

Old 09-04-2007, 07:41 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ted_Grevers
This isn't really new news. They have had this rule for many many years. I would think that it's more than just vehicle integrity, but also vehicle occupant protection in the event of an accident. Either way, their rules are only as effective as the staff that upholds them.

The Ford Explorer is subject to the same no-rent restrictions:

"Ford Explorer owners: U-Haul has chosen not to rent behind this tow vehicle based on our history of excessive costs in defending lawsuits involving Ford Explorer towing combinations. This policy is not related to safety issues. This is an unusual circumstance for U-Haul – we have built our success for over 59 years by saying "yes" to our customers, and do not like saying "no" instead. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and are committed to working with our customers to find alternative options to help with their move. Please contact 1-800-GO-UHAUL (1-800-468-4285) for assistance with alternative options."

And for the Wrangler, the only policy they share externally is "Sport-utility vehicles cannot tow U-Haul towing equipment if the top or any portion of the top is not a hard top, or is removed. "

Unless they've changed it recently, UHaul will rent to owners of the Mercury Mountaneer . . . the Exploder clone.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We had a similar issue with U-Haul, only it was with my wife's Grand Cherokee.

When we moved here to MT from TX, we were going to tow my '06 Mustang behind my wife's '06 Grand Cherokee Overland. The Overland had a Hemi and a 6500 lb tow rating plus the Class IV tow package. The Mustang weighed in at right around 3500 lbs. I'm guessing the trailer would have been 1k lb or so putting the total at around 4500, give or take.

U-Haul repeatedly told us (we tried several different locations) that the Overland couldn't tow the Mustang and that it didn't weigh enough to pull a trailer with a vehicle on it. Uh, ok. It has a 6500 lb tow rating. Why else would you put a Hemi in a Grand Cherokee if you weren't going to tow something with it? But alas, we were constantly turned down.

Ultimately, I ended up trading the Mustang in on the JK before we moved and drove them both up.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:32 PM
JK Newbie

Exact came thing happened to me in Montreal !! U-Haul told me that the soft top wouldn't protect the passengers if something from the trailer went flying !! . I had to leave my new unlimited rubi at u-haul and rent one of their crappy Ford 14 foot box of $%?&*(
Old 09-05-2008, 05:43 PM
jmc
JK Enthusiast

I am glad that someone posted about this. I was thinking about renting a trailer to move some stuff up with us at the end of the year to Virginia.
The rest of the stuff will be moved by a moving company, so mainly just boxes and stuff that we do not want them to touch. I will have to call them first before I get down there to see what they say.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:25 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I rented one a few weeks ago with my hardtop off, and they never asked questions. I know they used to have signs posted at all of them and online about the fact that they don't rent trailers to Ford Explorers shortly after the whole Firestone tire issues.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:51 PM
JK Freak

I don't see what the problem is here. Yes it is an inconvenience. However, I have always seen a clear statement on their website that it is their company policy NOT to rent to vehicles with soft tops.

That said, there are a lot of other companies out there that rent utility trailers for reasonable rates, sometimes equal to or better than Uhaul. I have often seen better quality out of these independent agencies.

Too bad about your bad experience, but if you are dealing with a large corporate entity, this doesn't surprise me.

Cheers.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:07 PM
JK Newbie

Angry u-haul rejection

we own a jk and the wife works at u-haul, i have tried to rent a trailer too. last year there was a big news report on people pulling trailers and wrecking due to inexperience or my opinion just plain stupidity. well whats the first thing people do when they screw up ? u got it blame someone else..guess who that was?..right again..u-haul ...just so happens a jeep soft top owners was one of the people blaming u-haul for renting them a trailer that their vehicle could not safely pull..yeap they won and u-haul payed out...hmmm well its simple math dont rent to people with soft tops and stricten up on all the rules for renting trailers . im not taking up for u-haul , but there is just as many undeserved lawsuits as they are excuses not to rent a trailer to someone. these people at u-haul do need to explain theirselves better than the excuses they gave you..just saying im sure its not personal , but you can thank the idiots that sued for these idiotic rules.
Old 11-06-2008, 06:29 PM
JK Newbie

I had the same problem in San Antonio when I rented a tow dolly to pull a kia rio down the interstate. He said that if I had the soft top on he would not rent it to me. I even explained to him that the hard top has a sticker saying it only protects you from the eliments and not a roll over. I thought about taking the hard top off to take the tow dolly back but figured it was too much trouble.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

I pull a small utility trailer- with my KingQuad- or to just haul stuff since I went from only ever owning pick-ups to my JK, I've found that with a 2 or 2.5" drop the tounge is "up" so weight is tranfered back- not proper tounge wght- rear of trailer fishtails, scrubs back and forth- I bought a 5.5" drop and it pulls a lot better- SAFER. Joe
Old 11-07-2008, 08:04 AM
JK Newbie

What fools... that reminds me of my experience with a certain car rental place in Charlotte Airport.

I picked up a minivan and was off to my destination. 10 minutes down the road I see 2 ants on the floor in between the drivers & passenger seats. Hmmm, someone must have spilled their soda.

15 miles down the road I see about 10 ants.
20 miles down the road they are crawling up my leg.

I stop and call the rental place and explain the situation. "Yes you heard me right. Ants in the van, crawling up my legs. How many? A lot. Sure, I can bring it back."

So I drive back to get a new van and the attendant in the office sees me and recognized that I am the "guy with the ants".

"OK, just so you know, my boss told me what to do in case this happens again. What you do is roll up the windows, start the engine, turn the heater all the way up, and leave it run with the doors closed for 1/2 hour. The ants.... they will go away."

"Thanks. Can I have my new car now?"

Quick Reply: U-Haul wouldn't rent me a trailer :(