Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

U-Haul wouldn't rent me a trailer :(

Old 09-03-2007, 05:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This isn't really new news. They have had this rule for many many years. I would think that it's more than just vehicle integrity, but also vehicle occupant protection in the event of an accident. Either way, their rules are only as effective as the staff that upholds them.

The Ford Explorer is subject to the same no-rent restrictions:

"Ford Explorer owners: U-Haul has chosen not to rent behind this tow vehicle based on our history of excessive costs in defending lawsuits involving Ford Explorer towing combinations. This policy is not related to safety issues. This is an unusual circumstance for U-Haul – we have built our success for over 59 years by saying "yes" to our customers, and do not like saying "no" instead. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and are committed to working with our customers to find alternative options to help with their move. Please contact 1-800-GO-UHAUL (1-800-468-4285) for assistance with alternative options."

And for the Wrangler, the only policy they share externally is "Sport-utility vehicles cannot tow U-Haul towing equipment if the top or any portion of the top is not a hard top, or is removed. "
Old 09-03-2007, 05:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Ted_Grevers
This isn't really new news. They have had this rule for many many years. I would think that it's more than just vehicle integrity, but also vehicle occupant protection in the event of an accident. Either way, their rules are only as effective as the staff that upholds them.

The Ford Explorer is subject to the same no-rent restrictions:

"Ford Explorer owners: U-Haul has chosen not to rent behind this tow vehicle based on our history of excessive costs in defending lawsuits involving Ford Explorer towing combinations. This policy is not related to safety issues. This is an unusual circumstance for U-Haul – we have built our success for over 59 years by saying "yes" to our customers, and do not like saying "no" instead. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and are committed to working with our customers to find alternative options to help with their move. Please contact 1-800-GO-UHAUL (1-800-468-4285) for assistance with alternative options."

And for the Wrangler, the only policy they share externally is "Sport-utility vehicles cannot tow U-Haul towing equipment if the top or any portion of the top is not a hard top, or is removed. "
Wow, I guess there is no reason for me to call U haul now. Thank you for the info. Ted. I can't believe this, that is just stupid. Who in the world believes this trash. I used to tow a tent trailer fully loaded for 2 week hunting trips, behind my CJ7 and felt perfectly safe. Well they don't get anymore of my business. I'll go to penske if I need a truck and borrow a trailer from friends. Lets boycott U-haul. Hey should I use this in my run for the white house?
Old 09-03-2007, 06:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

I saw a newer VW bug pulling a U-haul trailer the other day, that looked real safe. Some rules are so stupid.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:19 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by smack2020
I saw a newer VW bug pulling a U-haul trailer the other day, that looked real safe. Some rules are so stupid.

Actually, U-haul's website will let me make a reservation for a Lotus Elise with a class 1 hitch
Old 09-03-2007, 07:38 AM
JK Freak

Default So we should consider ourselves lucky?

So either the policies are different for different States / UHaul locations or the employees were just nice?

Go figure...I hadn't checked their website (left that up to the son) but will go check now...
Old 09-03-2007, 06:32 PM
HEK
JK Freak

it's not U-Haul's fault the people they have doing the service or rentals are morons, I once asked if they could provide me with a "box" to cover the 3 pin terminal and the "kid" who was helping me said, nope...but I can cut yours off and add these terminals at the end ( same deal as I already have.....rubber boot that covers the terminals... ) so i said....hummm...and I would end up with??...he said the same thing you have now..... , I almost started laughing at him for such stupid answer ...but I figured he probably makes minimum wage and I should thank U-Haul for at least keeping him off drugs.....well at least until he gets off work....
Old 09-03-2007, 09:46 PM
Foo
JK Enthusiast

My buddy works for their accident Investigation branch, and you'd be surprised what people will put in the trailers....

Also U-Haul is self-insured. I'm sure at some point in the past a soft top CJ or something flipped and the trailer hit them in the head and U-Haul got sued and lost.

They can't trust their peons to tell what kind of Jeep it is so they probably say Soft-top no way.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:47 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HEK
it's not U-Haul's fault the people they have doing the service or rentals are morons, ...
Actually, it's precisely their fault. They choose to hire the morons and the morons that hire the morons. The people are the company.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:04 AM
JK Super Freak

At least the morons have a place to work. And that the morons are working instead of standing on the corner with their signs that read "Will work cheap, as long as I don't really have to work and if I do, it has to pay union wages and can not make me work up a sweat or make me pickup anything over 2 lbs. or work around anything that might make me productive. God Bless" So I'm glad that U haul is hiring them and that I no longer use them.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

I will be putting the hardtop back on permanently.........I did not realize until now (thanks to U-Haul) how unsafe we were!!!!!!!!! Can you imagine my embarrasment?

Quick Reply: U-Haul wouldn't rent me a trailer :(