Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

U-Haul wouldn't rent me a trailer :(

Old 09-02-2007, 06:30 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default U-Haul wouldn't rent me a trailer :(

I did a search and found mention of this in another thread, but no specific thread on it, so I though I would make one! (BTW I have a 4-door)

When I went to pick up my parts yesterday, the tires looked a little big to fit in the jeep. Anyway, I went up the street to U-Haul to see if they would rent me a trailer. Well, after waiting in line for a bit I got up to the counter where I asked the guy if they had any trailers available. First, he laughed at me for not having a reservation. I told him I only needed it for 2 hours and he told me it didn't matter, it was either available or not. But lo and behold, they did have one available that would be perfect. He started asking if I had a hitch and what not. I told him I did and it has a 2" ball. Then he asked what kind of vehicle. I told him a jeep wrangler....

This is where it gets good...

He goes "ooooohhhhhhhh" and asks me if its a soft top. I said yes. He said he couldn't rent me a trailer because it was a softop. I asked why? So he tells me that the hard top makes it more structurally rigid. I told him that's ridiculous because I bought the vehicle like it is with the towing package, softtop, and 3500 lb tow rating. I also explained that the top doesn't have much to do with the structural rigidity for a body on frame vehicle.

Then the lady servicing the next line over got in on it and said that the reason was actually that the Jeep was too light with a softop and had a much greater chance of flipping over if the trailer started fishtailing. I replied that yes, making a vehicle more top heavy was a sure way to ensure it wouldn't flip over

She kind of ignored my previous statment, but then went on to explain that if something did hapen, and the Jeep did flip over, that the hardtop would provide more protection from the trailer hitting me in the head! I told her that that was alot of "what ifs" and she said it's a liability risk that U-Haul wont take.

So I left, trailerless, and ended up getting everything in 2 trips. What pisses me off is that if I hadn't wasted so much time, I wouldn't have been in such a hurry on the 2nd trip (the shop was closing), and I wouldn't have forgotten my lug nuts
Old 09-02-2007, 06:38 AM
JK Jedi Master

Around here there are corner service stations and local rent shops that will rent a utility from $18 to $25 per day. I wouldn't think that most care what you pull it with. Just another option if you need it in the future.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Next time make a run to home depot they rent tralers
Old 09-02-2007, 10:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

gawd. Thats like saying "we won't rent you a trailer for your pickup because you have no camper shell to make it more stable"... derrr.....dumbasses.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Well just about the time you think you've heard it all, then something else comes along and shows you it aint over yet. That is so stupid. I might give U haul a call here and see if it is the same here. Sorry for your troubles.
Old 09-02-2007, 06:43 PM
JK Super Freak

I will not get into my reasons here but I f-in hate U-haul.
That said the reasoning is such a crock however that is what I expect from them.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by RiggerMike
I will sleep much better now knowing that my hard top adds so much structural support and imparts anti-rollover capabilities to my vehicle. Thanks to U-haul for my extra beauty sleep!
Amen to that. I knew I was making a good decision when I chose a hardtop!
Old 09-02-2007, 08:23 PM
JK Freak

Default Wow!

My son and I just rented a UHaul trailer for a 1600 mile journey cross country (AZ to MN).

He went over first with the 4 Runner that we were actually taking and they gave him grief about not being 21 so I went with him and took the Jeep as the 4 Runner was over getting new tires.

We got there - they looked at the Jeep - no problems - no questions - and the soft top was down as usual!

Seems like the typical corporation these days - not a bit of consistency from a policy perspective - and the caliber of employees varies wildly from location to location!
Old 09-02-2007, 08:40 PM
JK Junkie

i would go back... ask again... if they still give you the same BS reason... inform her that...

"inbreeding causes people to work for u-haul and give customers BS responses like the one you and your husband... errr... brother just gave me."

watch her get pissy... call BBB... and move forward...

i hate stupid people... they are almost as bad as H2 drivers
Old 09-02-2007, 08:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Should have told them Dual tops. That way you get 1.5 x the protection.

Quick Reply: U-Haul wouldn't rent me a trailer :(