Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

U-Haul gripes

Old 03-26-2012, 01:39 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default U-Haul gripes

Tried renting a trailer from U-Haul yesterday and they would not.rent me a trailer with the soft top on. Had to run home and swap out the tops before they rented it to me. Luckily I have the dual top so i had the hardtop sitting at home but if you only have the soft top they won't rent it to you if they are abiding by "company" policy. I was pissed but I need to move some things yesterday and needed the trailer so I succumbed.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:15 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep that is their corporate policy. Somehow they think the thin plastic hardtop is safer than the fabric soft top. Probably some dumb insurance thing.

Oh and check this out...at one time they were not renting trailers if you drove a Ford Explorer.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

The Explorer thing was due to several generations of Explorers having goofy trailer hitches and tow ratings from the factory. Sadly U-haul is very lawsuit scared so they apply their rules broadly.

Try Penske next time. ALL their equipment is better, better maintained, and usually cheaper. Employees seem less "mouthbreathing" and more informed.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I rented from u-haul, picked the trailer up with the 3/4 ton GMC and brought it back with the jeep, they weren't to impressed and gave me the verbal list of what they are allowed to hook to. The ford explorer is still on their list with the jeep wrangler (hard or soft top)
but it was fun screwing with them.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

I rented one about a month ago. The guy on the phone said he'd never heard of problems with jeeps renting to tow, only explorers. One of their guys even hooked the trailer up for me. I think it depends on the particular store, although the site says no soft tops (maybe that's for mustangs and similar cars?)
Old 03-26-2012, 05:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mariner
I rented from u-haul, picked the trailer up with the 3/4 ton GMC and brought it back with the jeep, they weren't to impressed and gave me the verbal list of what they are allowed to hook to. The ford explorer is still on their list with the jeep wrangler (hard or soft top)
but it was fun screwing with them.
I like that!

Quick Reply: U-Haul gripes