Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Truth about motor oils and how they perform

Old 06-20-2010, 07:30 PM
HV
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Motor oil and religion: arguments can't be won by either side.
just read it . brother I have run mobil 1 on my 911 turbo my hd etc I was a fan till I read it
Old 06-20-2010, 07:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

you can really see now why Royal Purple is so popular
Old 06-20-2010, 07:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Royal Purple only
Old 06-20-2010, 07:39 PM
HV
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ngbsn1
Royal Purple only
yup
Old 06-20-2010, 07:40 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by harold
just read it . brother I have run mobil 1 on my 911 turbo my hd etc I was a fan till I read it
Yeah, I'll dismiss my personal experience about motor oil in favor of something I read on the Internet on a site called "animegame.com".
Old 06-20-2010, 08:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

IMO people would be better served to choose an oil based on real world experience than one single test that doesn't prove much of anything at all.

The author himself said that this test was only based on one aspect of these oils and different tests could show far different results.

I've ran Mobil 1 for a lot of years. I've ran numerous used oil analysis reports on the different engines I've used it in. I've yet to have a UOA come back stating that M1 wasn't doing an excellent job at protecting my engines.

I'll continue to use M1 until the UOAs come back saying its not working well in my engines. I'm not going to switch based on a SINGLE internet article.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:44 PM
HV
JK Enthusiast

its just oil come on know
Old 06-21-2010, 02:13 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you change your oil often and don't run your vehicle 24 hours a day, most synthetic oils will be fine. I have run Mobil One in my Jeep and the cheaper Valvoline Synthetic in the wife's car with no problems.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:29 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by tslewisz
Yeah, I'll dismiss my personal experience about motor oil in favor of something I read on the Internet on a site called "animegame.com".
I'm with you. But, I would add that the entire premise of the paper is based on one particular test, the Timken OK Load Rating Test. The paper itself goes on to briefly mention that they tested only one specific attribute of the oils. And that from that single test, they drew conclusions about the long-term wear of the oil. However, consider this comment from another website:

"Between 1935 and 1972, The Timken Company produced and sold a lubricant test machine that was used to determine the EP (extreme pressure) characteristics of grease and oil lubricants. It became an industry-standard test. A bearing race is mounted on a tapered arbor that is rotating at a high speed. A square, steel test block is then loaded against the rotating race, with the contact area flooded with the test lubricant. The load on the block is increased in increments until the oil film is broken and the spinning race produces a score mark on the test block. The load-value that produces the score is then called the Timken “O.K.” load rating.

It was generally assumed that the higher the O.K. value, the more load the lube could hold without the film strength being compromised. However, this is not necessarily the case, and the primary purpose of the test is to determine whether or not the lube has an EP additive. Values higher than 35 lbs. indicate the presence of an EP additive."

Where did I find that quote? From the Timken Corporate website. I think you folks using Royal Purple will be fine. As for me, I'm sticking with Mobile 1--As I have since the mid-70s.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

i run Amsoil

Quick Reply: Truth about motor oils and how they perform