Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Trek top in the winter?

Old 10-29-2009, 05:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trek top in the winter?

So I'm 95% positive I'm selling my hard top, and keep my trek top on year round. Are there any problems with having the trek top on during the winter? Obviously if it gets cold the material will shrink and it would be hard to get it back on if I took it off, but that should be about it right?

Granted it doesn't get tooooooooooooooo cold here in Charleston during the winter but I may take a trip here or there to visit relatives or worst case scenario I might move north at some point. Any problems with the top surviving the winter?

thanks!
Old 10-29-2009, 06:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

be careful with opening the back window when its cold, i broke a few on my yj that way
Old 10-29-2009, 08:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Worst case if you move north- just buy a regular softop with frame. They do great year round. Never understood the need for a hard top anyway.

Sounds like you got some money for mods coming.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

haha i wish, i had a quick build up, but i've hit a pause. I definitely want/need to get 4.88's, some new wheels, new fender flares, other fun stuff buttttt now i've got a few bills I have to take care of first unfortunately. Why can't I just hit the lottery? I guess I heard you actually have to start playing the lottery first in order to win it but that's just a minor detail ha
Old 10-29-2009, 10:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Phishjeep
. Never understood the need for a hard top anyway.

You're kidding right?
Old 10-29-2009, 02:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just took my trek top off for the winter, there is no problem with snow or ice but the back window is going to be the weak point, last spring we had a few really cold days and i almost cracked the back window, had to leave it open till i got the jeep into the garage and warmed up.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:07 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Phishjeep
Worst case if you move north- just buy a regular softop with frame. They do great year round. Never understood the need for a hard top anyway.

Even assuming you are warm blooded critter from the North Pole, so interior temperature is not important, the hard top leaks less than than the soft top! Maybe.

Quick Reply: Trek top in the winter?