Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Transmission: Low Tran Oil Pressure

Old 08-21-2024, 05:32 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission: Low Tran Oil Pressure

Hello,

I recently got an engine light and my mechanic said it was 'low transmission oil pressure' (sorry don't have exact code number)
At the same time I noticed there was a lag when starting from a standing still position in drive
for example: could barely drive up a steep hill if starting from a stopped position as if there isn't enough power.
Other then that it drives fine and shifts gears (auto) easily.

My mechanic looked at everything and said the issue is probably related to the transmission code.

I brought it to a recommended transmission place where their diagnostic seems to be only to take it for a test drive, say its internal and I need to spend $5,500.00 for a new trans and charge me $150.00
It has 131k on it and I have never done anything with the transmission except check to make sure it full when I get the oil changed.
am I about to get ripped off?

should I:
Drain and refill?
filter?
solenoid?
other?

any other thoughts welcome...
Old 08-21-2024, 08:22 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,929 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Good lord....test drive and a "y, you need a new transmission"?? How long has it been since you changed the tranny fluid? Vehicle is 14 years old now....are you the original owner?

I think if that were my jeep i'd 1) want to know the exact code thrown in the transmission module, and 2) change the fluid and filter as a starting point. That could be total wishful thinking, but it's not expensive to do to see if there is any difference. Could be looking at something as simple as dirty ATF or filter, especially since things appear to be running fine otherwise. I'd certainly try that before plopping $5500+ into a transmission. jeesh
The following users liked this post:
Jay2013jk (08-21-2024)

Quick Reply: Transmission: Low Tran Oil Pressure