Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Tranny cooler

Old 05-04-2011, 12:51 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny cooler

Not sure how some people get this done, but i spent a long afternoon in conversation with my dealerships service manager regarding the much discussed tsb for warranty work. He checked tsb07-002-10 and made some phone calls to the jeep representative, and we were told that this is not a standard service bulletin, but it is available for anyone who is having heating issues with their transmissions to have this work done at your own cost. I have a 2011, and was told they would not honor any warranty work for adding a cooler, when the "only" issue was overheating in 4h. I was told to just put it in neutral, and rev the engine to cool the tranny down. My feelings about the jk being off road ready were met with some disdain and i saw i was going no where. Just thought i would let you all know. By the way, the cost of having this mopar unit installed is 555.00. I guess you actually need to burn up your transmission before they feel it is warranty ready.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:48 PM
JK Freak

I know everyone wants this done free but for fifty bucks and less time than you spent trying to be cheap you could have had a cooler installed.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When the recall/update came out the letter to jeep owners said to bring the jeep in for an update (flash for the hot oil light to appear). However if you already installed a aux tranny cooler, then if you provided receipts they would pay for it.... and they still flashed your computer for the hot oil light.

So the Hot Oil light is the fix. .....
Old 05-05-2011, 05:08 AM
JK Freak

Appreciate all the responses, but in the end it still says one thing, Jeep is a piece of work when it comes to offering customer service. They claim to build a trail ready vehicle and they are full of it. I drove a new Tacoma several years back with a lift and larger tires, and never had to do anything else to the tranny, rear ends, suspension, etc., that one must with a trail ready Jeep. Let's face it, we love the damn things but they are really a questionable piece of work.
By the way, I was not trying to be cheap, as I have never questioned price for any of the mods I have done. I do get frustrated however when some dealerships will take in their units and fix them and want customers to be happy. Cannot say that about Salt Lake dealerships.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:37 AM
JK Newbie

largo; you're absolutely right. I also bought an 11'; maybe the difference w/ me is I bought it in spite of Jeep's terrible reliability record and Chrysler's terrible service record; there's not another vehicle like it; I've never planned on talking to any Chrysler dealer for whatever time I own the Jeep unless I have a major issue that might be covered under warranty; and maybe not even then. I have a local shop that does great work for a very reasonable cost; whatever issues I have that I can't fix myself I'll go to them. Like I said there's not anything else like it at the moment; if there was a different manufacturer with a better reliability record that made a similar vehicle I definately would have went with them instead of Jeep. I didn't even visit the dealership to buy my Jeep; I did it all over the phone and they delivered the Jeep; the less time having to be face to face w/ Chrysler employees the better. Btw; I haven't had any trans. problems yet but my B&M supercooler came in the mail yesterday.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:12 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The overheating transmission generally occurs when the TC is constantly unlocking causing the heat build up. This is more a problem in on-road conditions in traffic and/or hilly areas when OD is not turned off.

Off-road, the issue seems to occur mostly when in 4-hi, especially on sand.

This isn't really a trail-rated issue (use 4-lo). Plenty of experienced off-roaders avoid the problem by judicious use of the transmission options to avoid locking/unlocking the TC.

The real problem is the overheating that occurs in normal on-road conditions. For this, spend the $60 and get a cooler. For off-road, use 4-lo more often.

As for low-reliability of wranglers, it is well-known that because of the high number of people who actually modify and wheel hard, things break. That drives up the numbers of repairs etc. So when consumer reports or whoever presents data that isn't normalized to be a fair comparison, then I say: who cares? After all, they aren't comparing the mall-crawling jeeps to the other mall-crawling Fjs, hummers, and land rovers.

my two cents
//end rant
Old 05-05-2011, 12:44 PM
JK Freak

Agree with you both. I wish I had a local shop that really did good work on JK's. The last one we had in my area went out of business and we are left with no one other than the dealer. I do everything I can myself, but warranty issues I have to leave to them. I just found it intereting that when I called they immediately said there was no TSB at all, and when I insisted they check, they found the one mentioned earlier in this thread, and then claim they called and it is not available unless you throw a code and have them look at it and then they will upgrade to the Mopar H/D cooler. I am just going to get a B&M and install and forget the issue.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:03 PM
JK Super Freak

You will be happier with the B&M cooler because you can mount it however you want it. The Mopar one they will just use those zip tie things that mount to the radiator.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sure this has been posted but thought I would post it here. Which transmission cooler is better. The normal radiator style or I saw on one post the heat sink style. Also how difficult of an in stall is it for someone with mechanical skills.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by icerk
Sure this has been posted but thought I would post it here. Which transmission cooler is better. The normal radiator style or I saw on one post the heat sink style. Also how difficult of an in stall is it for someone with mechanical skills.
I have the radiator style and it is fine. I don't know much about comparing it to the heat sink style.

The install is simple. The hardest part is deciding how you want it mounted.

Quick Reply: Tranny cooler