Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

trailers

Old 10-16-2011, 05:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I won't divulge how much I've towed with my manual 2dr, but I'll confirm that its capable of much more than Jeep recommends, *with proper weight distribution* and some common sense with regard to braking and inclines. By the same token, an improperly loaded trailer can be dangerous, even under the 1000 lb factory limit.

Another thing that new trailer owners might not realize, but a longer trailer is much easier to back and tow than a shorter one. Longer trailers are easier to see and anticipate, react much more slowly and intuitively, and therefore more forgiving for correction and over-correction. A longer trailer also pulls better than a shorter one, with less motion imparted into your vehicle.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Tried mine out yesterday. I didn't tow it far but did take it out on the interstate. It pulled 70mph in 4th gear ok. It's a 5x12 and weighs around 1800lbs empty.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3151804529.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	224416
Old 10-16-2011, 01:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CerOf
Krynn,

Did you talk to a Chrysler engineer about this? If you did, I'll back down; however, I did speak to a Chrysler engineer and what you said isn't true.

The reasoning he gave is different. He advised it having to do with the JKs inability to maintain speed up various grades. The drivetrain itself is more than sturdy.

[SNIP]

I suspect cooling has something to do with it too, but I did not press for more as I wished to be respectful of his time. He did say the drivetrain was up to the task. He mentioned "at the hottest times" quite a bit and this is why Infeel cooling plays a role when combined with what people have posted about overheating transmissions.
Ah, ok. Interesting, as I was told by a Chrysler rep (no idea if he was an engineer or not) that the reason was the ring gear on the Dana 44 wasn't beefy enough to handle hauling around the weight of a fully loaded JKU plus more than 3500 lbs for an extended period of time. He did mention that there was a bit of a safety margin built into that number, but advised against pushing the limits. When I asked about the JK's 2000 lb limit since it has the same driveline, he said it was due to the short wheelbase creating handling problems when towing anything much heavier than that. Again, he said there was a safety margin, but again recommended not pushing it.

On the flipside, your explanation makes plenty of sense as well... I've been on highways with steep enough grades where I couldn't maintain speed without going down to 4th, and that was without a trailer. And yeah, if it was warm out, holding a high RPM for an extended period with that much of a load behind the Jeep would probably cook the engine in no time.

Anyway, regardless if what I was told is true or not, there's perfectly good reasons to not push your luck when towing... not unless you've dropped a hemi under the hood and put a PR60 out back.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:45 PM
JK Super Freak

The ring and pinion is quite strong on the D44.

Look at it this way, the tow rating on my WJ was 6,000 lbs. it had a D44 with a shorter wheel base and fairly soft springs too. The big difference was it had a V8.

My ZJ was 5,000 lbs with a shorter wheel base and a D35 rear and D30 front (low pinion which means power goes to the coast side of the gears).

When I consider this, I conclude I was being given the straight answer.

Euro spec have a tow rating for their JK's in excess of 5,000lbs.

The Ford explorer of the late 90's had a similar engine power wise V6 to V6. It's rear end was an 8.8 which specs out to the same as a d44. It's tow rating was 5,000 lbs.

F150 which weighs as much and more in some configurations and used an 8.8 at least on their 2009 models tows 5k+
Old 10-16-2011, 06:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would be surprised if the Dana 44 ring gear was the weak point. Last I knew they were using them in the SRT Challenger. I changed the oil on my gears after 20k with the 6.1 and front and rear gears looked great.

However, the auto tranny overheats for some people on the 07-11 JK's without towing anything. I would not tow with any auto on any vehicle very far without a decent tranny cooler.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:02 PM
JK Newbie

I tow a trailer with my two quads on a regular basis with my auto with no issues. I do run with the od off.

Quick Reply: trailers