Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.
View Poll Results: Trailer Tow Group
Trailer Tow Group
83.02%
Go Aftermarket
16.98%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Trailer Tow Group

Old 02-02-2007, 05:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Be carefull with wiring harness, I read or heard somewhere that in order for the trailer wiring to work properly the computer must be flashed as well. Apparently if not flashed in could damage some of the relays.

Just heresay
Old 02-02-2007, 08:36 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by redWRANGLER
Thanks for the update on production. I assume that I'm getting the Dana44 and 4.10 ratio because my unlimited hasn't seen the assembly line yet.
As far as aftermarket hitch, do we have to remove the bumper to install?
i'm guessing that you ordered the automatic transmission. if that's the case, then ya you're getting the 4.10 gear ratio. as for the hitch, don't quote me, but i believe you just have to remove the rear tow hook and it bolts on without removal of the bumper.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by superboo
...wanting to keep my financed amount as low as possible. this way i can just add it at my own leisure for cash.
that's the way i was thinking i will do after market too. i gotta go check if i got the 44

*crosses fingers*
Old 02-03-2007, 08:09 AM
JK Jedi Master

I picked up my 4 pin wire harness at the Jeep service dept. for $49.00 you do not have to get the computer flashed for the 4 pin. If you get a 7 pin harness it is about $79.00, and you need to have the computer flashed.
I got an after market hitch from Quadratec for $99.00. I installed it without removing the rear bumper. There is a little piece of weld on the frame that needs to be filed down to make the hitch slip on easily.
To remove the rear bumper there is 6 bolts and it weighs less than 20lbs.
I have an X w/ Dana 44 & 4:10 gears.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:10 AM
JK Freak

Default Ordered

I added the trailer tow package to my build. It's a few bucks more than going aftermarket but this way it will be under warranty and it's one modification I can check off the list.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:20 AM
JK Super Freak

I went aftermarket. I knew I would want to replace the rear bumper as soon as some were available, and most of those either work with the aftermarket hitches or have a hitch built in. I needed a hitch for the interim and bought it with the 4 pin wiring for $135 shipped from Quadratech. When I get a new bumper, if it has a hitch built in, then I will just sell this hitch.

I also had the welding slag that I had to grind down. I did it with a file without taking off the rear bumper or muffler (before I replaced the mufler). Then just a few good whacks with a 3lb deadblow.
Old 02-03-2007, 12:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Robar where did you find the info on flashing for the 7 pin harness? I'd like to have something in writing to show the service dept. I called them after I posted and nobody could give an answer. I have a small utility trailer that came wired with a 7 pin

I knew I heard it somewhere

Thanks
Old 02-05-2007, 06:16 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Keep in mind that if you have any inclination to change the rear bumper at any point, many of them come with an integral hitch receiver. - No sense in buying something twice, and $220 bucks for a just wiring harness (assuming you got the auto/d44 already with other options) is pretty rediculous.

Edit: Ooops, what Phishjeep said.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:18 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
Keep in mind that if you have any inclination to change the rear bumper at any point, many of them come with an integral hitch receiver. - No sense in buying something twice, and $220 bucks for a just wiring harness (assuming you got the auto/d44 already with other options) is pretty rediculous.
No plans on changing the rear bumper, yet. I did take that into consideration.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:25 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by redWRANGLER
An aftermarket reviever is any where from $99-$150.
Plus the $50 for the 4.10.

And it's $220 from the factory. It's seems like a wash.

Besides, my salesmen doesn't think the 4.10 is available for the "X".
Your salesman, like most, doesn't know what he's talking about, they are available on all models for $50.00... quadratec has the hitch for 100 bux, and wiring a hitch plug is a peice of cake, you can buy them from walmart for cheap too. I'm going to be putting my own on soon... i have the rubi with 4.10's and 44's.. so i 'm all set there. Whatever you do, get the 4.10's. if you're going to put bigger tires later, you'll seriously regret not having them. Plus, you could get them later, but then they wont be under factory warranty and it will cost you a butt load of money. Just my .02

Quick Reply: Trailer Tow Group