Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Trading 2008 JKs

Old 11-02-2008, 03:53 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trading 2008 JKs

I have a 2008 JK X 2 door soft top with 5500 miles that is one year old. My wife wanted me to get a 4 door but I resisted. I also have a 1998 Yukon. I have used the Yukon for all kinds of chores. After a year of hearing from my wife I am going to trade it and the yukon for a 2008 4 door that is still on the lot. It's a Sahara hard top with the auto trans. which is of no concern to me. I have driven it all weekend and noticed it didn't get the same 20-22 mpg that my X does (manual transmission). I did notice that it has the 3.73 axle with towing package. My X has the 3.21 I think. I will likely not be towing anything such as a boat, etc. Should I get the Sahara or look for one with a 3.21 ratio? Face it, gas is high. I have looked for an X with hard top and all of the amenities of the Sahara but can't find one. Any suggestions?
Old 11-02-2008, 04:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Captain Skippy
I have a 2008 JK X 2 door soft top with 5500 miles that is one year old. My wife wanted me to get a 4 door but I resisted. I also have a 1998 Yukon. I have used the Yukon for all kinds of chores. After a year of hearing from my wife I am going to trade it and the yukon for a 2008 4 door that is still on the lot. It's a Sahara hard top with the auto trans. which is of no concern to me. I have driven it all weekend and noticed it didn't get the same 20-22 mpg that my X does (manual transmission). I did notice that it has the 3.73 axle with towing package. My X has the 3.21 I think. I will likely not be towing anything such as a boat, etc. Should I get the Sahara or look for one with a 3.21 ratio? Face it, gas is high. I have looked for an X with hard top and all of the amenities of the Sahara but can't find one. Any suggestions?
The computer hasn't had a chance to learn your driving pattern on the Jeep you are test driving, one weekend just ins't enough time to work it out.

Also remember the 4 door is heavier than your 2 door. Also what size tire are you running on the x versus the Sahara?

It is just hard to compare sometimes
Old 11-02-2008, 04:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

how high is gas?
im paying 406 ijn japan.........it cant be that bad
Old 11-02-2008, 04:11 PM
JK Newbie

Both jeeps have 255 x 17. Goodyear Wranglers on the 2 dr. and the narly cool BF Goodrich (Rubicon) tires on the 4 dr.

Gas is down to $1.99 now in South Carolina (temporalily I am sure) but was over $4. Only time will tell. I am not sure if the speedo on the 4 dr. is right. To be honest I usually travel at 70-75 on the interstate. Today it seemed like everyone was passing me.
Old 11-02-2008, 04:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Captain Skippy
Both jeeps have 255 x 17. Goodyear Wranglers on the 2 dr. and the narly cool BF Goodrich (Rubicon) tires on the 4 dr.

Gas is down to $1.99 now in South Carolina (temporalily I am sure) but was over $4. Only time will tell. I am not sure if the speedo on the 4 dr. is right. To be honest I usually travel at 70-75 on the interstate. Today it seemed like everyone was passing me.
Its funny you say that, when gas was getting close to 4 bucks I swear that people had slowed down on the interstate, now that it is back down to 2 bucks they are back up to full speed again.

The MTs probably also gets it a little less MPG compared to the all weathers, would think that the rolling resistance is a TAD higher.

If you give up 2 miles a gallon it will cost you about about $4 more a tank at current prices. Worth it to get what you (she) wants
Old 11-02-2008, 04:30 PM
JK Newbie

Haven't thought of it that way. You make a very good point. The Shara is solid black and darn sexy. Guess I will do it if the dealer get's his heart right.

Thanks
Old 11-02-2008, 04:47 PM
JK Freak

I have an '08 2-door Rubi w/ 4:10's and a manual tranny. Get 20-22 mpg. Everyone I've talked to with the autop tran gets 16 mpg no matter how they drive it. Hope that helps.

Rock On
Old 11-02-2008, 05:07 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by bluerubicon08
I have an '08 2-door Rubi w/ 4:10's and a manual tranny. Get 20-22 mpg. Everyone I've talked to with the autop tran gets 16 mpg no matter how they drive it. Hope that helps.

Rock On
I average 19-21 on the hiway....hand calculated...not the onboard computer...
Old 11-04-2008, 02:49 AM
JK Newbie

Default Bought it!

I made the deal yesterday and sign the papers today. After all, what's 2-3 mpg? The black Sahara is beautiful, but I will miss the "jeepiness" of the two door. My dealer really offered alot: lifetime monthly car washes, lifetime oil and lube, front and rear slush mats which I like, and the rear cargo liner. I have bought numerous vehicles from this guy over the years and he is a good Christian man.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you want to be on the safe side , let your wife decide for it , then you will be a happy man

Quick Reply: Trading 2008 JKs