Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

trade my 2 door in for a 4 door?

Old 04-02-2012, 06:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trade my 2 door in for a 4 door?

I may have an opportunity to trade my 2 door sahara in for a 4 door rubicon with some upgraded features (half steel doors, factory navigation) both are the same year and the rubicon has about 25000 less miles. The only problem is my credit and monthly payments would be about 100 more.

My credit will be ok since i will have a definate cosigner but i just recently put a front bumper, winch, 4 door springs up front and 4 fog lights on the 2 door but im looking to build up a decent overlanding style vehicle further on down the line.

What are your thoughts on the situation?

My current title is a buyback (i know it sucks but it was cheap and hasn't given me any problems ever) I still owe a little less than 17k on the vehicle and the rubicon is going for 22k. I am hoping that they will be ok with that knowing that there hasnt been any issue with it thus far and give me at LEAST an even trade for my vehicle

if they do it should i take the 100ish dollar per month hit or stick with what i got now and just use it? I have a kid on the way and were looking at purchasing a house soon.

I do not plan on wheeling it "hardcore" but I do like the option for the e discos and lockers.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:45 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

If $100 a month won't kill you, I say go for the rubi, and pull off your current mods and swap them over. Sounds like you will be needing the 4 doors anyways
Old 04-02-2012, 06:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
If $100 a month won't kill you, I say go for the rubi, and pull off your current mods and swap them over. Sounds like you will be needing the 4 doors anyways
Im curious if it will make the trade in value higher even though its a buyback if i just leave the mods on and sell it with the mods. I just purchased them a few weeks ago and I dono if i want to try and put the factory bumper back on thats a lot of work
Old 04-02-2012, 07:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

It was a lot of work to get that stuff on there :( I'm not sure I would be able to get the stock equipment back on the exact same way is my only concern.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:24 AM
JK Junkie

I would say with the baby on the way, if you can afford it, the 4 door would be choice.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have both a two door and a child. Trust me, go with the 4 door. Getting a child in and out of a carseat with a two door is a PITA. I'm actually thiniing of trying to trade mine in for a 4 door also.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jedi Knight
I have both a two door and a child. Trust me, go with the 4 door. Getting a child in and out of a carseat with a two door is a PITA. I'm actually thiniing of trying to trade mine in for a 4 door also.
That was exactly my thoughts.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

bastards sold it. fml whats the point of living any more :b eer:
Old 04-03-2012, 04:02 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Start looking on auto trader, craigslist an other sites... I'm sure you will find another
Old 04-03-2012, 04:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Just thinking out-loud... Vehicles that have been lemon'd aren't easy to move. The dealer was probably happy as pie to see it leave the lot with you driving it. They might not be too keen on taking it back. Before you get your hopes up, have a conversation with them.

That said, I am heading down the expedition road myself and I do regret not getting a JKU. Not as much about not getting a Rubi, because the territory I see doesn't require lockers to be effective and e-disco's are a bonus.. But the extra space is, without question, something to be considered a necessity, not a bonus. That's not to say there aren't some really effective overland two doors, but try sleeping in one of those..

Quick Reply: trade my 2 door in for a 4 door?