Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

trade jk for tj

Old 02-22-2009, 07:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trade jk for tj

i am really considering ditching the jk and going with the tj
i am tired of the air sensors and the other sensors and all the computer module failures and the key reprograming. tired of worrying about how the engine will react when i put non aftermarket dana 60 and 70 in it. tired of fighting with chrysler about electric warranty issues. tired of towing the jk off the trail every sunday when the computer fails. ive hit rock bottom with the jk
Old 02-22-2009, 07:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by OlegFl
Can't you use the AEV module to disable most of the computer problems, and worst case scenario reset the trouble codes?
what is this aev module you speak of
Old 02-22-2009, 07:35 PM
JK Super Freak

thanks but that will not fix the jeeps problems
Old 02-23-2009, 06:52 AM
JK Super Freak

I wouldn't trade it for a TJ but that's your call.

Can you lemon law it?
Old 02-23-2009, 06:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry bud. I can only say I've been there. I had to lemon law mine. I had the wiring harness replaced twice in once year. Never worked right after that, even. I also had a million (seriously) other issues. It was in the shop 54 days in the first 8 months and would've been in there more if all I had to do was take it in to the dealer when there were issues.

I was torn whether to replace it with a JK or a TJ. I really wanted to believe that all JKs weren't pieces of shit so I got another. A 2009. I was wrong. It has all the problems my 07 had plus a few more.

I ended up buying an LJ also. I don't know what to do with the JK now. I don't want to build it up since I have the LJ and I can't DD it since it always has some problem. It's either in the shop, broke down, or has some major issue I am trying to ignore.

My advice is to lemon law it and get the TJ.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:02 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been there also and considered a TJ. Its not a bad idea, you can get a used one cheaper and mod the hell out of it.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:08 AM
JK Freak

i love them both.... but if i could have only 1...JK all the way
Old 02-23-2009, 07:17 AM
JK Junkie

GEt rid of the 37", this is your problem: you can't off-road with 37" on a JK. 35" is just perfect.
Don't change the JK for a TJ, it's the worst thing to do
Old 02-23-2009, 09:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by saltman
Sorry bud. I can only say I've been there. I had to lemon law mine. I had the wiring harness replaced twice in once year. Never worked right after that, even. I also had a million (seriously) other issues. It was in the shop 54 days in the first 8 months and would've been in there more if all I had to do was take it in to the dealer when there were issues.

I was torn whether to replace it with a JK or a TJ. I really wanted to believe that all JKs weren't pieces of shit so I got another. A 2009. I was wrong. It has all the problems my 07 had plus a few more.

I ended up buying an LJ also. I don't know what to do with the JK now. I don't want to build it up since I have the LJ and I can't DD it since it always has some problem. It's either in the shop, broke down, or has some major issue I am trying to ignore.

My advice is to lemon law it and get the TJ.
so how long does it need to be broken down or in the shop before i am able to lemon law it. what process did you go through. was chrysler trying to bs you. how modified was your jk.

Originally Posted by Hellbound13
Been there also and considered a TJ. Its not a bad idea, you can get a used one cheaper and mod the hell out of it.
this is the direction i may be heading in

Originally Posted by JK Freedom
GEt rid of the 37", this is your problem: you can't off-road with 37" on a JK. 35" is just perfect.
Don't change the JK for a TJ, it's the worst thing to do
what do the 37s have to do with electrical problems. i want to run 42s and heavily mod the jk but not if it will not run.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The lemon law process varies slightly from state to state. Just type whatever state you are in, lemon law general statute into google. It will show everything. It is very straight forward and not that big of a deal if you have all your documentation in place from the trips to the dealer. Chrysler did not try to fight at all. In my uninformed opinion they are well aware of all the problems the vehicles have and have decided it is cheaper to buyback the ones that go through the process than to fix the issues. It was so easy to do that I feel like they would have fought much harder if it was any other way. In fact, in my case they did not respond in the time frame that makes them bound by law to replace the vehicle even if it wasn't their fault.

The headache is going through the process and waiting. Just takes time. Don't get a lawyer you won't need one. Chrysler Customer Care employees have about 3 brain cells b/w them all and there job is to waste time. Try to not let them bog you down.

My Jeep had a 3.5" lift and 35s. Obviously, they had nothing to do with the fact that the computer system is garbage, the vehicle constantly leaked, .... long list.

If the vehicle is in the shop for more than 21 days in a year it is a lemon here. or 4 repairs of the same problem with Chrysler being notified it is their final repair after the third. Mine took 1.5 months from final repair letter to repair. Than a week for more problems to show up. Then 3 weeks for check in hand. Would have been quicker but it was the Holidays.

Last edited by saltman; 02-23-2009 at 10:04 AM.

Quick Reply: trade jk for tj