Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Trade 2010 Sahara with 30k for 2012 MW3 Edition with 5k

Old 07-09-2012, 01:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trade 2010 Sahara with 30k for 2012 MW3 Edition with 5k

So if i did this it would cost me about 10k out of pocket.

My 2010 Sahara is fully loaded from the factory and then had after market rims, fenders, lights and some other stuff but nothing major. I was just about to put a RK 2.5 lift on it with some 35's when my dealership called me and gave me first dibs on the only 2012 MW3 they have seen come through.

What's the pro's/con's? I like the AEV stuff on the MW3 but it's like 1/2 assed AEV stuff. I like the 3.6, but i've seen so many threads with people having issues. Thoughts? Continue to upgrade my minivan engine powered jeep, or upgrade to the 3.6 MW3?
Old 07-09-2012, 02:10 PM
JK Junkie

I was ready to take the plunge and trade my 2010 rubi for a 12. After 3 months of deliberation and seeing my pay off on the 10 get lower and lower, I decided it was time to start buying more upgrades for my current vehicle. The new engine is awesome but I am going to wait for something more to pull me into trading in than that. Also I was tired of wishing I had a lift and bigger tires and now I am moving towards that goal instead of getting a stock 12 rubi.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I made the decision to trade in, and it was going to cost me a heck of a lot more, with a trade of my 09 unlimited x to a '12 Sahara. I am happy with the decision. The engine has been great, a lot more power, and new warranty. My other option was to upgrade the 09 and get a Ripp supercharger. It just turns out that I got a great deal, pretty good trade in value, good financing, and they found the exact Jeep I wanted.
IF it hadn't worked out with everything aligning well, I think I would have gone the Ripp route. It seems proven with a bunch more happy people than unhappy people with Ripp. I was tired of the minivan power, and I hadn't even upgraded beyond stock 255's. The ride is much nicer, at least with an upgrade from an unlimited x, but the power and some say the auto transmission is the crown jewel of the '12.
If I were in your position and I could afford it, I would personally get the MW3, because I am interested in doing moderate offroad once or twice a month yet have a daily driver for a short drive to work. It is a solid Jeep stock, and you won't need to upgrade a D30, less likely to need above the 4.10 gears with that engine unless you do really hardcore crawling.
Good luck. It's a tough decision.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:24 PM
JK Junkie

For that $10,000 you'd be out, You could have all those AEV "goodies" and improve your current motor to give it some more pep.

I would suggest getting your 35" tires and that great 2.5" lift.

You'll be much happier once you get those on.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:51 PM
JK Super Freak

You make the ultimate decision here...The MW3 as alot going for it...Axles - AEV add-ons...
you get rubi tires i beleive...And it's a numbered vehicule...The motor is a HUGE difference
coming from experience here i had a 2008 Unlimited...The 3.6 is big...90 more HP...Very
noticeable...Do your homework...Deal with the dealer...What color is the MW3 also...
Good luck with your decision bud...
Old 07-09-2012, 03:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

It's a silver MW3 edition. I know the motor is a big difference, and the interior is significantly nicer. I am meeting with the dealership tomorrow and will negotiate then, if I can close that gap some I might make the switch, but i'm thinking that I can do quiet a bit of customization to my current 2010 for that 10k, such as Lift, tires, bumpers, and a SuperCharger that would just about chew up the 10k, but the end product - would it be better?

Even if I got the MW3 I would still need lift/tires....

Any other reasons to do it or not do it? I'm looking for experience to help me make my decision.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Mod the Sahara! I'd still take the MW3 for a test drive though.
Even if you get the MW3 it wouldn't be long before you would be wanting to lift it, get bigger tires, etc. Unless the MW3 is your dream Jeep I'd think hard before doing it.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:54 PM
JK Newbie

I have the same dilemma. I have been batting around the idea of ordering a 2013 JKU to replace my 08 JKU. So...
Nicer drive train and upgraded interior, but likely 33K to 35K loan with payments for 5 years. All that and I will still want bigger tires, lift, bumpers, etc...

Or... Keep my 08 that already has 35's, rims, 2.5 Teraflex lift, bumpers, etc... and I only owe 15K; will be paid off in like a year and a half.

I'm leaning towards keeping it until it's paid off then heading to BOR for a hemi!! Real power!!
Old 07-09-2012, 04:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

X2 on the hemi, or if there is a diesel introduced in 2014-2016 then I'll go than route.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

So just got done with dealer and decided against it - its' an okay buy on a 2012 fully loaded MW3 for 41k, but my 2010 is just about paid off and for the difference between trade in and purchase worked out to 14k out of pocket. I figure I could buy the actual AEV hood, Rear bumper with Tire carrier, Front bumper with bull bar and winch and tires and lift and supercharger and front axle and probably a whole pile of other stuff for that same 14k if I really put my mind to finding the deals.

Keeping the 2010.

If anybody in SC is looking to trade up to a MW3 though the Rick Hendrick is about to put on there website a 2012 with 5k miles. It's pretty sweet, just to much money on bling that I don't need.

Quick Reply: Trade 2010 Sahara with 30k for 2012 MW3 Edition with 5k