Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Trade An '07 for an '06???

Old 07-22-2008, 08:25 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude....if you have a stick in the newer 07, they are just as fast as the TJs pretty much. If your racing to 80mph, the jk will out run the TJ easily, our engine just likes to rev a little higher.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:44 AM
JK Super Freak

If you check the HP ratings the TJ is way below the JK. Unless you had an engine swap. I did have a 74 CJ5 with a 327 Corvette 350 HP engine for mud bogging. That's different. The brakes, the steering, the build... far superior in the JK. If you want more power you can enhance the engine with mods.

Here in Jeep/Mountain country Jeeps are what is selling so to your first question - why would a dealer trade you even for an older vehicle he will get about 2,000 less for than your 07 and make 5,000 more?

I would listen to the sage wisdom given above and keep your JK. If you really want to trade it even, post yours on Craigslist and it will probably go quickly - along with your warranty and security of a new vehicle.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by GreenTJ_2_BlackJK
Well, I guess I'm in the minority!

Honestly, I think what I do miss most was the raw power off the line. I'm 25 years old... and not that I always drag raced the thing, but it was QUICK in first/second 0-60. Really Quick. Was mine the only one??? I'd trade my power windows and slightly quieter ride to have back the powerful acceleration.

I know, I know, "Jeeps aren't built for speed!" Well... the new ones aren't anyhow. What I truly miss is the feeling of showing off that my rig can not only handle the dirt, but also beat your shiny new Ford Fusion to the merge.
I would venture to say that you are mistaken. Perhaps what you feel is more power is due to the fact that the TJ had a narrower track and sat lower to the ground, which could easily translate to the feeling of more power. My 6-speed JK unlimited has as much power in 1st and 2nd as my 6-speed '05 TJ did. Perhaps the TJ was slightly quicker since it was a SWB and my JK is 21" longer and much heavier, but I find that the engine is great.

The 3.8L V6 carries a certain stigma with it and it will have to work very hard to win the hearts of many long-time Jeep lovers. Many of us on the forum felt a certain sadness when we learned that the 4.0L straight 6 had been replaced by the 3.8L V6 (dubbed the "minivan" engine), but I think most of it is emotional, not rational. I would still love to have the old 4.0L straight 6, but I am very happy with the 3.8L V6 and so far it has impressed me. It's going to take longer than 2 model years to win over loyal Jeep lovers, but I think the 3.8L is on the right track.

Keep the JK and enjoy it for what it's worth: soft top leaks, sluggish acceleration, rattles and all.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:52 AM
JK Jedi

I've said it before, but my JK surpasses my 2000 TJ in every way, except rear set access, and I yanked the rear seat in both Jeeps anyways. As for the comments on power, my JK has done much better in and over the Rocky Mts. than my TJ did, and though I stay around the speed limit now, the JK feels much more stable and effortless at 80MPH.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Forget the 4.0 6 even. My favorite yet was the 258 I6. I loved that engine.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nclehmann
I would venture to say that you are mistaken. Perhaps what you feel is more power is due to the fact that the TJ had a narrower track and sat lower to the ground, which could easily translate to the feeling of more power. My 6-speed JK unlimited has as much power in 1st and 2nd as my 6-speed '05 TJ did.
Hmmm... I wonder if it was because mine was the 5-speed not the 6-speed? I think they regeared in '04.

It truly wasn't my imagination-- my friends would vouch for that! My '98 would rocket 0-60. Granted, once you redline 2nd gear at 60mph, the bottom of 3rd didn't have much go. But once you hit the powerband in 3rd (at about 75mph) it was balls-to-the-wall again.

Yes, cruising on the highway the TJ sometimes lacked power- I would often have to floor it in 4th just to maintain speed on an upgrade if it was windy. The JK cruises more effortlessly on the highway, but it still doesn't accelerate as quickly in a pinch, even at highway speeds. FYI I have the 4.10 ratio and a 6-speed in the JK...

Thanks for listening to me rant! I think I just miss my first true love

Quick Reply: Trade An '07 for an '06???