Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Traction Control issue

Old 12-16-2008, 09:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traction Control issue

Hoping someone can help me out as I'm not sure this is an issue or not.

I had a "traction control" issue the other night 3 times on my way home. It was the yellow dash light with the skid marks under the vehicle.

I would drive a bit, and then the "ding" went off, and within a few moments, the vehicle lost almost all power, had a bit of a shudder, and the idiot light stayed on with little to no power until I pulled over and turned the vehicle off.

Seemed fine, but then happened again after about 5 miles. Then a third time after a few more miles.

As a quick background, it was about 25 degrees farenheit out, but the roads were reasonably clear. Pretty sure it had nothing to do with the ESP. But happened three times in a row, and without any power (and the automatic braking), I pretty much had to pull over and turn the Jeep off.

Would be fine after, and I wouldn't think anything of it except it happened 3 times in a row. Fortunately, it hasn't happened in about 30 miles since, so maybe it was a one (3) time thing. But I found it odd and a bit disconcerning so hoping someone can help me out.

I doubt that I just happened to hit 3 patches of ice and the vehicle would want to shut down. I also doubt it just gets overly sensitive below 32 degrees. So any input on what the problem might be would be helpful.

For now, since it hasn't happened since, I hope it was just some temporary glitch, but if anyone has a clue, please advise. Thanks.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:50 AM
JK Jedi

Sounds like you may have a computer bug issue. Check out the TSBs and see if one describes your scenario (link below). There's a good chance a flash at the dealer will help you out.

http://project-jk.com/index.php/?cat=20
Old 12-17-2008, 06:09 AM
JK Freak

Yup, sounds like a trip to the dealer to me.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks, but I don't see any TSB's that describe the traction control issue. Hopefully someone else will have an idea. I will certainly mention it to the dealer, but they never have a clue until I hunt down the problem on my own.

But here's to hoping, no?
Old 12-17-2008, 06:32 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was having issues similar to this on just random bits of loose dirt on the road when i was accelerating out of a stop light or something like that... but it didnt stay on... talked to the technicians at the dealership and said this is normal for the new ESP system with the JK's.... buuuuuuuuuuuuuut who really takes what they say seriously?
Old 12-17-2008, 06:34 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

If there were patches of ice/packed snow, and you were on any incline at all, or going highway speed, the reaction you saw could very well be normal. When driving along, if the system detects wheel slippage, especially if it is both rear wheels, the first computer reaction will be to reduce throttle to prevent the axle from losing traction and sliding sideways.
By all means let the dealer look at it. Be prepared for them to say there is nothing wrong.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx
If there were patches of ice/packed snow, and you were on any incline at all, or going highway speed, the reaction you saw could very well be normal. When driving along, if the system detects wheel slippage, especially if it is both rear wheels, the first computer reaction will be to reduce throttle to prevent the axle from losing traction and sliding sideways.
By all means let the dealer look at it. Be prepared for them to say there is nothing wrong.
Ronjenx, this makes sense. I know that at least 2 of the 3 were on at least a modest hill. What struck me as odd, however, was not that the TCS system came on, but that it stayed on, even when I came to a complete stop. I would have presumed that once the computer senses the danger has passed that it would go back to normal, but it did not until I turned the vehicle off.

To me, this does NOT sound normal. It was actually a bit dangerous as I lost all power at highway speeds and needed to get to the side of the road almost coasting.

Any additional thoughts are appreciated. The more info the better when I try to tell the dealership.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:53 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovis
Ronjenx, this makes sense. I know that at least 2 of the 3 were on at least a modest hill. What struck me as odd, however, was not that the TCS system came on, but that it stayed on, even when I came to a complete stop. I would have presumed that once the computer senses the danger has passed that it would go back to normal, but it did not until I turned the vehicle off.
To me, this does NOT sound normal. It was actually a bit dangerous as I lost all power at highway speeds and needed to get to the side of the road almost coasting.

Any additional thoughts are appreciated. The more info the better when I try to tell the dealership.
This is the important part to explain to the dealer. My Jeep has responded as it should, and reverted back to normal, as you say, "when the danger has passed".
I am working on getting some tech info on how all the computer systems work. The maintenance manual goes into a little detail, but not deep enough for my curiosity.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Is your jeep modded or lifted?
Old 12-17-2008, 09:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by noot
Is your jeep modded or lifted?
It is not lifted. I did replace the pizza cutter sized wheels and tires (that come on basic X model) with Rubicon wheels and tires, but that was done nearly 2 years ago and this is the first issue I have had.

Quick Reply: Traction Control issue