Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Tpms is lame!!!

Old 10-21-2009, 10:27 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doesn't it ding for every tire it thinks is low? I seem to remember it dinging 4 times when I aired down on Fins n Things. Every time I started the Jeep until I got to some air did get annoying.

In the end, however, I'm glad I have it, I would have never known about the slow leak I had returning from Moab.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same problem here bud, changed out the wheels and tires, the tire place didnt know about the TPMS and now everytime i start the jeep I get 4 dings. im hoping there is a way around the system or i'll just have to bite the bullet next service and put new ones in.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:10 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to have my tpms sensors in my Pro-Comp wheels. But I got sick of paying 90 bucks each time to get the stems replaced after breaking one off on the trail (Chrysler really dropped the ball on designing these with aluminum stems!) So I flashed them to 0 using the Pro-Cal then verified that it does not show a error on the dash. Then I took them all out and it's been 3 months and not one single light or ding from the TPMS. So I guess the trick is you have to flash the system to 0 with all the sensors in tact first. Then you can remove them all together.

so get the sensors but don't mount them to the inside of the wheels yet. Just tape them to the inside of the wheel and drive a short bit to let the computer see them and then flash them to zero. Then verify the issue is resolved and pull them off and resell them on Ebay. If it doesn't work then you will have to pay 15 bucks for each tire to have the sensors mounted inside the tire then tell the shop you want to take it for a test drive. Then stop somewhere flash them to 0psi verify it disabled them then drive back to the shop and then have them remove them. Definitely a PITA but then you will never have to deal with them again.

Last edited by whpony96; 10-22-2009 at 09:18 AM.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:58 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't wait to get new tires and I will get rid of mine. I have been going crazy because the alarms some times goes off in the morning (when it is cool) and then by lunch time no alarm. I know I am close and it just annoying.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

I still have my stock 32" BFG's on my 08 Rubicon. If I were to get a Superchips Flashpaq and flash it to 0psi as it sits could I then get different tires and wheels and not have a problem with the TPMS?
Old 04-12-2010, 11:19 AM
JK Freak

Are you not wanting to move the sensors to your new wheels? My sensors are on my stock wheels/tires in the garage. I set my procal to 0 and have had no problems at all. I assume the Flashpaq works very similar in that way and would result in no errors.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:53 AM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kd5zwf
So the ProCal didnt work bringing it to 0? I didnt put mine in my new rims and was hoping that the ProCal would do the job. Also, you got me thinking about not passing inspection now.....Hopefully someone has overcome this and got rid of the TPMS light so they wouldnt know during inspection. Anybody?
Originally Posted by MoridinTX
I thought adusting them down to 0 was equivalent to them not being there, effectively disabling the system. Guess I was not understanding what others were posting
Ok, flame on::::: TPMS, Tire PMS, do I need to break it down anymore
Okay after watching a couple of buddies break their TPMS's off on the trails and having bent mine to the point I was luck it didn't bleed out all the air I decided to go with the rubber valve stems. Since I was already running the AEV ProCal I thought I'd just set it to 0 and be done with it...well the first couple of tries didn't get it so I started over beginning with disconnecting the battery and running all the way through each of the setup's again. It worked and I've been happy ever since so you can run wo TPMS and set the AEV ProCal to 0 and be good. Remember some states view the TPMS as serious and I've heard people on the forum say they check for them but here in California they are more interested in mud flaps! Sorry Eddie no pun intended
Old 04-12-2010, 12:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Discount Tire did mine for way cheap! They have the technology to recalibrate those sensors. Screw the dealership.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

To answer your question FrostByte I want to keep my stock tires with the sensors in them in the garage just like you have done. I was hoping if I got either the Superchips Flashpaq or the AEV ProCal I could flash the system, set it to 0psi and swap to aftermarket tires and wheels without the TPMS and be done with it. Those sensors are crazy expensive per wheel for something I don't even want. I'd rather spend my money on a programer , get all the extra benefits from that and use wheels without the TPMS.

Quick Reply: Tpms is lame!!!