Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Tpms is lame!!!

Old 07-07-2009, 05:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tpms is lame!!!

Ok, laugh it up. I have never had a vehicle with tpms before. after I got my 35's mounted the tpms alarm came on. I read post that a lot of you said that the computer need recalibrated for the new tires. dealer wanted way to much to do this so I got the PROCAL and it worked great for adjusting shift points and speedometer but couldn't get rid of the tpms alarm for nothing. I adjusted the procal all the way down to 0 and it still came on. I got fed up with the alarm and took it to the dealer any way and guess what... They informed me that I didn't even have any tire pressure sensors installed. friggin place that mounted my new tires didn't take them out of old tires!!. by this time I had all ready sold my old tires to some guy and no way to get ahold of him now. so now I have to get new ones or it will never pass inspection. this sucks. dealer wants $90 parts and labor per tire. I called the place that mounted the tires and they told me they were sorry and that if I brought in the sensors that they would cut me a break on the installation. . its not like they just started up buisness. they have been moding 4wd's for many years now. I have found the sensors on trademotion for $35 a piece. what can I do.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pingtime
Ok, laugh it up. I have never had a vehicle with tpms before. after I got my 35's mounted the tpms alarm came on. I read post that a lot of you said that the computer need recalibrated for the new tires. dealer wanted way to much to do this so I got the PROCAL and it worked great for adjusting shift points and speedometer but couldn't get rid of the tpms alarm for nothing. I adjusted the procal all the way down to 0 and it still came on. I got fed up with the alarm and took it to the dealer any way and guess what... They informed me that I didn't even have any tire pressure sensors installed. friggin place that mounted my new tires didn't take them out of old tires!!. by this time I had all ready sold my old tires to some guy and no way to get ahold of him now. so now I have to get new ones or it will never pass inspection. this sucks. dealer wants $90 parts and labor per tire. I called the place that mounted the tires and they told me they were sorry and that if I brought in the sensors that they would cut me a break on the installation. . its not like they just started up buisness. they have been moding 4wd's for many years now. I have found the sensors on trademotion for $35 a piece. what can I do.
I thought adusting them down to 0 was equivalent to them not being there, effectively disabling the system. Guess I was not understanding what others were posting

Ok, flame on::::: TPMS, Tire PMS, do I need to break it down anymore
Old 07-07-2009, 05:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
Sorry to hear about that, I'd almost be tempted to bite the bullet for the dealership to do it. TPMS sensors can be finiky. I'd hate for you to spend $35/ea on aftermarket sensors + install and have something not be right.

Thats whats cool about Trademotion, they use only Genuine Mopar parts. So the sensors are oem.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:52 PM
JK Newbie

It only dings once....everytime you start it up...
Old 07-07-2009, 05:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

So the ProCal didnt work bringing it to 0? I didnt put mine in my new rims and was hoping that the ProCal would do the job. Also, you got me thinking about not passing inspection now.....Hopefully someone has overcome this and got rid of the TPMS light so they wouldnt know during inspection. Anybody?
Old 07-07-2009, 07:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NMJeeper
It only dings once....everytime you start it up...
Thats enough to fail state inspection
Old 07-07-2009, 07:27 PM
JK Freak

Default Check with Registry

In Massachusetts, a m/v can only fail inspection if the "check engine" and/or the "air bag" indicator lights are on. I inquired recently as to the TPMS, in that the Dealership, as well as two local inspection stations reported that the low tire inflation light on the dash would not trigger a fail with the R.M.V. computer. This may be the same with your State. Good luck.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:26 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by MoridinTX
I thought adusting them down to 0 was equivalent to them not being there, effectively disabling the system. Guess I was not understanding what others were posting

Ok, flame on::::: TPMS, Tire PMS, do I need to break it down anymore

I think it still needs the signal for it to work, he has no sensors therefore no signal at all. Adjusting to 0 won't be effective because there is nothing to adjust.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:15 AM
JK Freak

Here is a link to a page with a lot of information about TPMS and answers from the NHTSA about what legally must work in the system. TPMS was federally mandated for 2008 and newer vehicles (thank your politicians). Glad I bought a 2007 JK.

http://www.tirereview.com/?type=art&id=82767
Old 10-21-2009, 05:18 PM
JK Newbie

they suck real bad

Quick Reply: Tpms is lame!!!