Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Towing my four door behind my motorhome. HELP

Old 08-04-2009, 01:47 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing my four door behind my motorhome. HELP

I need to get a tow bar right away to tow my jeep behind my class C motorhome. Please help me out with some options/pictures and possibly a link as to where I could buy it from. I tried searching the forum but I guess I'm not skilled in the art of the search. Thanks for the much need help.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:08 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BYU JK
I need to get a tow bar right away to tow my jeep behind my class C motorhome. Please help me out with some options/pictures and possibly a link as to where I could buy it from. I tried searching the forum but I guess I'm not skilled in the art of the search. Thanks for the much need help.
I swear I read towing my front door...

sorry, I'm not much help
Old 08-04-2009, 04:11 PM
JK Newbie

This is just one solution. You need to weigh your Jeep though. It will be bumping up against the 5000 lb limit on that bar. Also, you'll need lights for the Jeep.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/92012_00_07.htm

The tow bar I used to own was adjustable in width so if you have a bumper with tow hooks like the one this cleavis is in, you can actually hook the tow bar directly to it. Ignore the cleavis and just look at what it is attached to. Also, the two hooks have to be on the front of the bumper rather than the top of the bumper to hook up the tow bar to it.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/12065_902.htm

I hope this helps.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:45 PM
JK Newbie

I use a Blue Ox tow bar. I have RockHard front bumper which has tabs with holes in welded to the bumper (most bumper have these). I had a welding shop make me a set of ears that replace the standard ears on the Blue Ox tow bar. I went to a farm store and got the correct sized pins so that I could attach the tow bar ears to the bumper.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:49 AM
JK Newbie

Default Towing Jeep

[I have been towing Jeeps behind motorhomes starting in 1990. I have used everything from home made tow bars to the lastest and greatest from Roadmaster. There is no easy or cheep way to do it. 2 weeks a go my Ball receiver broke and the tow bar hit the back of my motorhome and bent and broke a vent grill on the motorhome. DO NOT cut corners. I just bought a new Blackhawk 2 All Terrain 10,000 lb towbar to replace my 5,000 lb Stowmaster tow bar. A 4 door Rubicon Unlimited is about 4.990 lb. Make sure you have the right weight safety cables also. I wired the Jeep tail and side lights to work with the lights on my motorhome. Contact me if you need any more INFO. Randy rguarin@entergy.com This a picture of my old Roadmaster stowmaster tow bar that I replaced this week with a Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 All terrain tow bar. I will take some pictures this weekend and post them Monday night. I also sometimes double tow like SCOTT9413. A trailer with a Kawasaki 3010 Mule on it. IT IS NOT A JOB IT IS A ADVENTURE!!!!!!

Last edited by rguarin; 08-10-2009 at 04:48 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:57 AM
JK Freak

I'm researching the suggestions you've provided. Thanks for the help so far, keep them coming.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:46 AM
JK Newbie

Just in case you didn't notice

Tow lights
http://www.quadratec.com/products/92019_50.htm

I don't think you're going to be out more than $1000 unless you have a stock bumper. Then it's going to cost something to get the tow bar connected.

I just thought of something else. There might be some problems with the airbag deploying while being towed. I don't know much about this because my old jeep was pre-airbags.

Good Luck
Old 08-05-2009, 11:50 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use the Mopar tow bar. I also bought the cooltech light kit.

But of course you know that already.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by CLACKEY(_!_); 08-05-2009 at 09:07 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would enjoy more pics of RVs with Jeeps...
Old 08-05-2009, 07:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a Roadmaster Sterling tow bar, AEV front bumper with custom base plate, and a Cooltech wiring harness; Sorry I don't have any pic's, I will try to get some posted.

Quick Reply: Towing my four door behind my motorhome. HELP