Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Towing with a JK

Old 08-31-2011, 04:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing with a JK

I have a new 2011 JKU and I had the chance to tow a small trailer (6X10) with about 3 yards of mulch on it. The first time I went to stop I felt like the Jeep was not going to stop. The brakes seem inadaquate (SP) for the job. I made sure that I started stoppong well in advance of when I had to.

How do others feel about the brakes when towing?
Old 08-31-2011, 04:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

By any chance do you use a trailer brake?
Old 08-31-2011, 04:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually want to look into a braking system like the one on a uhaul trailer if I was to haul a decent sized trailer fairly regularly. For small boats and small trailers with light loads just brake early and leave plenty of room between you and car infront of you.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am waiting on a custom 6x12 aluminum trailer being built to haul my little VW sand rail. total weight will probably be no more than 2200 lbs.

But I just ordered a Prodigy P2 brake controller and the 7 pin wiring harness to use the electric brakes I am having put on the trailer. Plus some new brake pads for my Jeep, which needs them.

It will be a lot easier on my Jeep. Since most of the trailer weight is at the back of the trailer (sand rails have almost all the weight in the back), I worry about it coming around and pulling my 2 door sideways (or over) in a panic stop.

Total cost of having the trailer ebrakes put on, and the controller and harness (which I will install myself) about $400.

I think its worth it.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:02 AM
JK Freak

i actually went and got a unit called brake force from northern tools here is the link http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...2424_200242424

it works pretty well i tow alot of stuff like snow mobiles, atv, and a boat...it works great! cant really feel that anything behind you. hopefully that helps!

Quick Reply: Towing with a JK