Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

To tow, or not to tow?

Old 12-21-2008, 06:07 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have a saying in medicine, " No good deed goes un-punished"
Old 12-22-2008, 04:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JackMac4
Where in the world did you see that? There's nothing wrong with towing if done correctly, period.
I don't recall the thread offhand, but I definitely read it here.

And maybe this is is just the point. Just because I have a Jeep and think I can tow, doesn't necessarily mean that I know what I'm doing (I do, but that's not the point right now) even if my intentions are good.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:25 AM
JK Freak

I've towed people out of problems before. That would really suck if someone tried to sue you if some damage was cause. I am extremely cautious when hooking things up and making sure that I don't cause anymore damage, but that's not to say that damage can't be caused. Sucks that it's now becoming harder to be a good person, and help people without fearing consequences if something goes wrong.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:12 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everyone has cell phone's these days so just take a voice recording of a verbal contract and you should be ok.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:26 AM
JK Freak

people are always glad when they get towed out, they save time and about 100 bucks by not calling a tow truck and they usually slip you a $20 .... i think if you own a jeep. it's your duty to help people out
Old 12-23-2008, 10:16 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Geezle
I've seen lots of threads with folks towing out people who have gotten stuck in the snow. Seems like a good thing to do, but I've seen recently in a thread on here somebody suggesting that towing somebody out might not be the best idea, because of the possibility of something going wrong...damage to the other person's vehicle, injury, or whatever.

I've got a tow strap and shackles that I keep in my JK specifically for helping stuck vehicles, though I haven't had occasion to use them yet, and since I saw that post, I'm having second thoughts because of possible liability issues. It made me thing of the first aid thread that was on here a while ago, and the good Samaritan laws.

So what do you guys and gals thing? Tow, or no?
In NM The good samaritan law applys only to highways and byways. You can not get sued for helping out unless due to gross negligence (At least for medical conditions). I'm sure you can argue the same for a "life or death" situation like the old lady in the mercedes.
If you are a professional (eg. nurse, Doctor) and you help someone and are not on a highway or byway you run the risk of being sued and loosing your license since you are not protected by the good samaritan law.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Here is my 2 cents... off road, I will help folks anyway I can. Its a jeep thing! A fellow Jeepster on the road, not a second thought. A mercedes... not a chance.

Lake grapevine overflowed last year and many boats were caught in dry docks that were getting flooded. I did offer a hand, but every person I helped they had to agree not to hold me liabel. I had the chief mechanic there and the dock manager as witnesses. One lady actually refused my help so I did not pull her out. The mechanic and the manager told her I was her last option as no other vehicle could get to her boat. She still refused and in the end her boat sunk (she did not have her plug in).
Old 12-24-2008, 08:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When a buddy of mine pulls people out of a ditch or snow he hands them the end that hooks to their car and says, 'hook this to something strong enough to pull you out'. Puts the responsibility on them.

I've never pulled some one out, push a guy out the other day because I didn't have a tow strap or winch.
Old 12-25-2008, 01:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2climbbig
he mechanic and the manager told her I was her last option as no other vehicle could get to her boat. She still refused and in the end her boat sunk (she did not have her plug in).
I just don't understand some peoples' ways of thinking.
Old 12-25-2008, 09:57 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by AZchris
When a buddy of mine pulls people out of a ditch or snow he hands them the end that hooks to their car and says, 'hook this to something strong enough to pull you out'. Puts the responsibility on them.
Thats exactly what I used to do at the beach with my Ram 2500. My record was 13 "un-stucks" on July 4th of '06. Never took a dime either.

The way I feel now, if your in a car or truck, you are SOL. But if you're stuck in a Jeep, I will break my back trying to help you out.

Quick Reply: To tow, or not to tow?