Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

To tow, or not to tow?

Old 12-21-2008, 07:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To tow, or not to tow?

I've seen lots of threads with folks towing out people who have gotten stuck in the snow. Seems like a good thing to do, but I've seen recently in a thread on here somebody suggesting that towing somebody out might not be the best idea, because of the possibility of something going wrong...damage to the other person's vehicle, injury, or whatever.

I've got a tow strap and shackles that I keep in my JK specifically for helping stuck vehicles, though I haven't had occasion to use them yet, and since I saw that post, I'm having second thoughts because of possible liability issues. It made me thing of the first aid thread that was on here a while ago, and the good Samaritan laws.

So what do you guys and gals thing? Tow, or no?
Old 12-21-2008, 09:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

If it's off-road, I think that's ok - maybe just with the winch you can get it done. But on the street/highway, i think it's too risky - calling a professional service is less trouble. But we can help any other ways... Just my 02c.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:20 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Geezle
Seems like a good thing to do, but I've seen recently in a thread on here somebody suggesting that towing somebody out might not be the best idea, because of the possibility of something going wrong...damage to the other person's vehicle, injury, or whatever.
Where in the world did you see that? There's nothing wrong with towing if done correctly, period.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:31 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by JackMac4
Where in the world did you see that? There's nothing wrong with towing if done correctly, period.
Very true.
But, if you cause damage to the other vehicle, or a passing vehicle hits you and you don't have all the safety stuff out, (yellow flashing light, orange cones, etc.), a lawyer can take you to the cleaners.
Rendering aid could be satisfied by making a call to a tow company.
I am not saying don't tow someone out of a situation. Just go into it knowing how much trouble you can get into.

Last edited by ronjenx; 12-21-2008 at 09:33 AM.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:32 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say just warn whoever you are helping what might go wrong, no matter how little of a chance it could be.

I agree with what JackMac4 said about nothing being wrong with towing if done correctly, but unfortunatly some people in this world will do whatever they can for a few extra bucks nomatter the reason.

Ive herd too many story of people getting screwed for their good deads. As long as you warn them of anything that can happen your good to go. (even if you were unlucky for something to go wrong and have that 1 d-bag who will try and screw u for it, the warning makes a "verbal contract" and your covered)
Old 12-21-2008, 11:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a shame that we live in a world that has made us afraid of being a good samaritan. I will stop to help anyone who is stuck (pulling them out or calling a service), it's in my nature.
I hope I don't get sued for doing something like this. If I do, I will let the judge and the person I helped know that they are responsible for decline in people doing good deeds....along with letting them know that they are JERKS.
If they want to play that way I should sue THEM for defamation of character and anything else I could blame on them for my time and energy.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Exclamation

Originally Posted by benny
It's a shame that we live in a world that has made us afraid of being a good samaritan. I will stop to help anyone who is stuck (pulling them out or calling a service), it's in my nature.
I hope I don't get sued for doing something like this. If I do, I will let the judge and the person I helped know that they are responsible for decline in people doing good deeds....along with letting them know that they are JERKS.
If they want to play that way I should sue THEM for defamation of character and anything else I could blame on them for my time and energy.

Well in California if something happens you can get sued now. Check the yahoo home page under the good Samaritan being sued video. Makes me wanna think twice about helping someone esp if it happens once you know it will catch on across the country since everyone is sue happy.
Old 12-21-2008, 12:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

I make them sign a form that releases me from any and all liability, especially since its being done at no charge (gratuity maybe, but not required) just to cover my arse. No issues to date, and have towed out countless cars with both my JK and previous rams.. Actually just pulled a mercedes out of a median on rtw 95 the other night. lady was waiting for over an hour for a tow truck, and was getting low on gas. was highly thankful I got her out and on her way before she ran out and froze. just my experiances.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by adgraybda
I would say just warn whoever you are helping what might go wrong, no matter how little of a chance it could be.

I agree with what JackMac4 said about nothing being wrong with towing if done correctly, but unfortunatly some people in this world will do whatever they can for a few extra bucks nomatter the reason.

Ive herd too many story of people getting screwed for their good deads. As long as you warn them of anything that can happen your good to go. (even if you were unlucky for something to go wrong and have that 1 d-bag who will try and screw u for it, the warning makes a "verbal contract" and your covered)
This is incorrect. The person who heard you can deny it, or say they were under duress. Unless you are a professional with a pro vehicle you take your chances. Even "nice guys" will do a two faced screw you. :(

You are never totally "covered".
Old 12-21-2008, 01:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by chris15005
Well in California if something happens you can get sued now. Check the yahoo home page under the good Samaritan being sued video. Makes me wanna think twice about helping someone esp if it happens once you know it will catch on across the country since everyone is sue happy.
The "good samaritan" clause only pertains to professionals in Calif.

Quick Reply: To tow, or not to tow?