Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

top down vs. a/c MPG

Old 07-06-2012, 09:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ZMagic97
I've never believed in the A/C effecting the fuel efficiency unless it's in an old car or one with an engine that is WAY too small for the vehicle. When I was in high school and gas was close to $5/gallon I saw people driving with the A/C off and windows down when it was 115 out. Of course they said it was "to get better gas mileage." I don't think they realized that it didn't help, and if they really wanted to get technical, wouldn't rolling the windows down create more drag therefore lowering efficiency?

Not trying to take anything away from the OP, the test is still interesting of course. But like CoreyZ said, who buys a Jeep for fuel efficiency? I can understand trying to drive as efficiently as possible, but since my JK maybe get 14-15MPG on the freeway (17 in really flat areas while doing 68) I just deal with it when I drive it, and I have a small truck for when I don't need the Jeep.

Heck, I just took the JK to Vegas and back 2 days ago and averages 15.3 there are back doiung 65-72MPH average. It's not great, but for a lifted brick I'm not upset. I'm, sure I know I could have done 80MPH, but then I'd be getting aroind 13ish MPG. I had the hard top on, A/C blasting, and took my time in the right lane with the seat tilted back and the cruise control on.
You're right. City windows down AC off is more economical and highway windows up AC on is more economical. It has to do with drag vs power consumed by AC.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:02 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am I the only one who drives with top down and air on? Haven't checked the milage but its bad
Old 07-07-2012, 06:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by northernjk
Am I the only one who drives with top down and air on? Haven't checked the milage but its bad
I do in during the hot days, with and without my SpiderWebShade
Old 07-07-2012, 06:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

I took a two hour drive to visit friends the other day top off doors off and ac on. or what it's worth still got 18 mpg in my 2012.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:38 AM
EzK
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Top off is a killer of fuel mileage. (roof racks too)

And as for the weight.. This isn't scientific but I bet you'd need to shave 1500 pounds, or more, off your jeep to see a 3mpg gain at highway speeds.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:41 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by EzK
Top off is a killer of fuel mileage. (roof racks too)

And as for the weight.. This isn't scientific but I bet you'd need to shave 1500 pounds, or more, off your jeep to see a 3mpg gain at highway speeds.
You are close, when I worked in the industry the rule of thumb was 400 pounds per mpg.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:58 AM
JK Newbie

I drive with the top off/ sun rider open and ac on all the time. I do it more so in slower traffic and when I am just getting in.

As far as mpg it stay pretty close to 18.8 mpg regardless of setup in my '10 2 door Rubicon.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Not to derail the thread too much but I recently swapped out my stock air filter with a K&N filter. As of today I only have 2012 miles on the Jeep (ironically its a 2012)... and the previous tanks of gas (before the filter change) was around 17mpg... after the change latest fill-up calculated out to be 18.5mpg.

So it appears that having the top off degrades the mileage to some degree... may want to look at a K&N filter (or equivalent) that will offset the difference a little.

I agree though too... I never bought my JK for the mileage but for its ability... but I will say it gets better gas mileage than my Nissan Titan did so I win either way! GRIN
Old 07-07-2012, 01:40 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another point I have seldom wondered was the mpg difference between the soft-top top down and the top removed. I doubt it would be a noticebable difference, but the soft top does create a bit of a spoiler when folded down.

Of course the biggest impact is driver behavior and geography. I lost 3mpg moving from the coast to the mountains.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:51 PM
JK Newbie

Just another data point / anecdote- I spent most of the week with the whole top and all 4 doors off. l put just the front panels on and drove about 80 miles today in mixed city / hwy and watched the mpg readout climb from 18.1 to 18.6. I know the numbers are not necessarily accurate, but they've been consistently half an mpg low for the whole 4 years, 70k miles since new.

Quick Reply: top down vs. a/c MPG