Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

too many stock jk's!! reason?

Old 05-30-2012, 09:39 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will let the whole "new car" thing wear off first. she only has 718 miles on her.

All I have done is tint and removed all the decals on the side.

I just ordered a Teraflex leveling kit, not sure when I am going to put it on.

and Here is the main reason, this turd takes all my extra "mod money"

Old 05-30-2012, 09:44 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 33 williys 77

WOW ! that was uncalled for, you just chased away, a very knowledgable person( probably one of the best on this forum for info on Jeep) his wisdom comes thur the disciplined of 4X4 usage (and age ) sorry Ron the OP has a little bit of tunnel vision.

Look at Ron's profile

Oh is he the god of jeeps?! Guess im going to jeep hell now. If someone is rude I will let them know. I don't care how much the fella knows about jeeps. Doesn't mean fellow jeepers can't have a friendly convo without him degrading it.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

No one's mentioned that the economy is down, the value of money is down (can't buy as much anymore) so everything costs more, unemployment is low, the cost of living has increased faster than the average pay increase, and well, everything is more expensive basically.

When I was a kid in the early 90's I knew all kinds of folks with hot rods, muscle cars, lifted 4x4's, big Jeeps, and on and on and on. Friends DD'd trucks that got 8mpg all day long and no one cared. Gas was $1.

Now...not so much.

It's also not as big a cultural thing as it used to be. A decade ago it was a big cultural thing to have a fancy tricked out ride. Now you see celebrities opining about how awesome their stock hybrid is.

The good news is this means the fluff % is declining to the beef % when it comes to modified vehicles out there.

Meanwhile a stock JK comes from the factory with 32's (twenty years ago a YJ had 28" tall tires) and can arguably fit up to 35's with little work. Then there's the Rubicon that makes a lot of modifications pointless.

Me? I've had a bunch of lifted fullsizes and built 4x4's. 1 ton Chevy on 38" tires with 1" of lift, Detroit Locker in the rear, 4.56 gears, all beef! Had a '96 Ford Ranger 4x4 with 12" of suspension travel and 33's on 2" of lift, discs all around, and a locker in a swapped in Explorer 8.8". Several others.
Now I have a 4 door Chevy Tracker with a 1.5" Old Man Emu lift, 29" BFG AT's, a decent stereo, and window tinting. I even took off the loud exhaust the previous owner "fabricated".
This thing gets me to work just fine, gets stock mpg, rides nice, and can do everything I want. Don't need the fluff of a big lift, large tires, having to regear, wearing out drivetrain components, sketchy handling and braking, and everything else. When I get my JK I will likely put stock height AT's on it, tint the windows, some good floor mats, and tune up the stereo. MAYBE a freer flowing but quieter muffler.
It's capable stock and needs few improvements. I don't wheel hard. Neither do the vast majority of JK owners. Hell, I regularly see several Rubicons that have AT's and even road tires on them now. They just don't need those mud tires for driving the kids to school and going to work.

You have to remember the percentage of people that modify their vehicles is much smaller than those that don't and the percentage that offroad/race/do something to justify their modifications is even smaller.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Honestly, I have no idea why I haven't modded my 2012 Rubicon yet.

The money is there waiting, hell I even have a full set of 35" MTR's on AEV Pintlers, AEV Premium Front Bumper, IPF lighting and a Warn 9.5 CTI sitting in the garage. I did however sell the old lift from my 2010 and haven't even begun looking at new setups yet.

I think it's mainly how well the Pentastar performs with 4.10 gears and the fact that a stock Rubicon has just about everything I need on the local trails. Time to perform the mods would be an issue as well; I try to spend every spare second with my 2yr old little girl. I keep saying that I'll get around to it; I imagine that I will.....eventually.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:29 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Revolution1
Oh is he the god of jeeps?! Guess im going to jeep hell now. If someone is rude I will let them know. I don't care how much the fella knows about jeeps. Doesn't mean fellow jeepers can't have a friendly convo without him degrading it.
But when someone let's you know you're being rude there's a problem? Only one degrading this thread thus far seems to be you.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:30 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Revolution1
You just answer your own statement ( Doesn't mean fellow jeepers can't have a friendly convo) to me Ron's reply wasn't rude or degrading but just a question, What is a person to think after reading ( Oh is he the god of jeeps?! Guess im going to jeep hell now ) combative ? No instead ask, and use your own advice (have a friendly convo )

Old 05-30-2012, 10:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ronjenx
I don't understand your concern.
I don't understand it either... people do whatever they can whenever they can... not everybody is fortunate enough to make modifications right away, or they just simply don't want to. Again, I don't get it either.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:15 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 33 williys 77

You just answer your own statement ( Doesn't mean fellow jeepers can't have a friendly convo) to me Ron's reply wasn't rude or degrading but just a question, What is a person to think after reading ( Oh is he the god of jeeps?! Guess im going to jeep hell now ) combative ? No instead ask, and use your own advice (have a friendly convo )

I would look at yourselves. Your holding someone on a pedestal because of status. Do you also kiss the tires on his jeep? He said he didn't understand when several other people understood and replied with interesting statements. Which tells me he DID understand and just wanted to a dick.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:16 AM
JK Newbie

To be* a dick.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've made a few upgrades to my 11' JKU Rubi. and I'll be doing a few more but I doubt I'll ever lift it; it's a pretty good off roader with just a few improvements. Lifted JK's w/ big tires are great for rock crawling; if that's what you like good for you, but not as good for the other 99.9% of the time all of us off roaders are on pavement. The majority of the vehicles I see off road are mostly stock or slightly modified, but I see many lifted Jeeps and trucks on the street.

Quick Reply: too many stock jk's!! reason?