Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

too many stock jk's!! reason?

Old 05-30-2012, 07:29 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those who have wheeled stock Jeeps over the years know their great capabilities "off the lot" and don't always leap into the hype of the aftermarket where product shills and web-wheelers abound. Many Jeeps that look stock are putting their mud tires on only for wheeling because they don't want to burn them up on the pavement. It's a personal choice dictated by needs, wants, personal taste, and your budget. Stock is good, beefed up for tougher trails might be better, and if you want your Jeep to look like you drove though Pep Boys with a crap magnet on it, well, that's OK too. To each their own.

Last edited by joesjeeps; 05-30-2012 at 07:36 AM.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Stock jeeps handle their own against other stock options out there. Many people buy them just to get to that favorite camping/fishing/hunting spot that many larger (or smaller) vehicles can't get to. If people mod their jeep its because it makes it look/work better for them. One of the great things about a jeep, countless options as said before. Nothing wrong with stock jeeps or super highly modified $60k jeeps, just depends on the owner!
Old 05-30-2012, 07:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Revolution1
I see to many stock jk's & jku's driving around now-a-days. So what was your reason for modding your jk or not modding your jk? Everytime I see a stick jeep. I think...poor jeep!
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Besides, any stock Wrangler is much more capable offroad than anything else out there.

I have made some minor cosmetic mods on my '12 Rubicon and will make some more as time goes on. I think wheels with a smaller backspacing improves the look substantially. Aftermarket wheels widen the stance

to improve the stability.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had a TJ before this Jeep and I did a bunch of mods (lift, tires, swaybar disconnects, track bar, control arms, gears, different types of tops, etc.) but all of that stuff added up really quickly and because of its age it seemed like every other time it was in the shop was to replace a worn part or fix something that was broken.

Now I have a JKUR that I bought in June 2011 (about to have my 1 year anniversary). Personally I love the way my Jeep is stock and that's a good thing considering I paid well over $30K for it. Since I have other priorities in my life right now (saving my money for things like a rainy day, a house, retirement, vacations, concerts, etc.) and a huge car payment, I would really hate to start modding and breaking things on a vehicle I still owe money on. The longer I go with the Jeep being stock the more I think I like it stock.

I have done little things like the Quadratec floorliners, Yakima roof rack, and Rugged Ridge doorless mirror brackets so I could enjoy the jeep a little more for what I want but other than those things I am kind of digging the Jeep in stock trim. Sure I would love to do a huge lift and tires, motor swap, winch (will do this eventually), bumpers, body armor, and all the other goodies but like many others have said, that all costs a lot of scratch and in my old age (30) I guess I would rather see a swoll bank account than a swoll Jeep right now.

That's the whole reason I didn't buy a sport or X from the beginning and just mod the hell out of it, I knew I wasn't going to be able to mess with it for a while and wanted to get something that had pretty much everything I wanted from the start.

I don't see anything wrong with this, looks pretty bad-ass to me:

Old 05-30-2012, 08:11 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ronjenx

I don't understand your concern.
Everyone else got it...
Old 05-30-2012, 08:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Everyone else got it...
Lol............
Old 05-30-2012, 08:13 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mredkilledmyz
I had a TJ before this Jeep and I did a bunch of mods (lift, tires, swaybar disconnects, track bar, control arms, gears, different types of tops, etc.) but all of that stuff added up really quickly and because of its age it seemed like every other time it was in the shop was to replace a worn part or fix something that was broken.

Now I have a JKUR that I bought in June 2011 (about to have my 1 year anniversary). Personally I love the way my Jeep is stock and that's a good thing considering I paid well over $30K for it. Since I have other priorities in my life right now (saving my money for things like a rainy day, a house, retirement, vacations, concerts, etc.) and a huge car payment, I would really hate to start modding and breaking things on a vehicle I still owe money on. The longer I go with the Jeep being stock the more I think I like it stock.

I have done little things like the Quadratec floorliners, Yakima roof rack, and Rugged Ridge doorless mirror brackets so I could enjoy the jeep a little more for what I want but other than those things I am kind of digging the Jeep in stock trim. Sure I would love to do a huge lift and tires, motor swap, winch (will do this eventually), bumpers, body armor, and all the other goodies but like many others have said, that all costs a lot of scratch and in my old age (30) I guess I would rather see a swoll bank account than a swoll Jeep right now.

That's the whole reason I didn't buy a sport or X from the beginning and just mod the hell out of it, I knew I wasn't going to be able to mess with it for a while and wanted to get something that had pretty much everything I wanted from the start.

I don't see anything wrong with this, looks pretty bad-ass to me:
Looks great bud!
Old 05-30-2012, 08:15 AM
JK Newbie

Everyone else got it...
Sure did!!!
Old 05-30-2012, 08:16 AM
JK Newbie

This is interesting...I've never thought to ask fellow jeepers why they did or did not. I've owned jeeps since I was 15 and im 29 now and am just now a part of this forum. Glad I checked it out!
Old 05-30-2012, 08:20 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
I don't understand your concern.
A Jeep is like an artist's easel it has it's base "the canvas" and it allows you to be a realist, an expressionist and everything in between, so paint away my friends, show yourself and let it be you.

Quick Reply: too many stock jk's!! reason?