Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

tj owners impressions after test drive

Old 11-30-2006, 03:36 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tj owners impressions after test drive

well last night i was out with the gf and i figured since i had a alittle time i stopped in a local jeep dealer. had tons of x models in 2 dr. and 4 dr. and only one rubi 2 dr. in black. its been there for awhile and i figured it was the demo but whatever, i wanted to take it for a spin.

options on it included- dual tops, power group, keyless entry, 6 disc/mp3, non-deep tint tops, and the 6 speed. i honestly want an auto but i figured id see what the hype on these things was all about so i took it for a spin. upon sitting in it, i noticed it was roomier than my current tj, alittle wider, seats were nice. i didnt have as much headroom but still enough that i wasnt hitting my head. liked the short shifter on the 6 speed, steering wheel adjustments, etc. was impressed overall with the interior- only gripe was the location of the switches for the power windows. my gf made a comment of how huge the foor locks were on the inside. the infinity system was nice, not a huge amount of bass but still a nice upgrade over the ol' 7 speaker.

so i take it out and i immediately noticed how low 1st gear is. i actually stalled it once as it was that much lower than the 1st gear in my tj. rode great, very quiet at idle and at cruising speed. no wind noise i could hear, the ride was great compared to my tj. you def. could tell it had the bfg mts on it as the road noise on them were pretty apparent. but overall loved the ride of it. about 3/4 through the test drive i had the gf climb in the backseat to check and see how much room it had back there compared to the tj- and it was about the same. kinda disappointed as that would have been a huge selling point for it. the 6 speed and the 3.8 combo was nice, i actually loved the combo on the highway- very smooth, quiet and a def. change in pass compared to the 5 speed and the 4.0. the new jk is alittle wider than the tj and i liked the amount of room it gave you.

got back to the dealer checked a couple things and rolled out. after driving that and getting back in my tj- wow. the clutch on the tj felt like i was pushing a cinder block through a pinhole. very stiff. but overall i was impressed, as far as possibly getting one- im unsure. i need something roomy, and i dont want a 4 door. a 4 door wrangler just isnt a jeep to me anymore. falme me if you want but ive had a tj and a yj and those were jeeps. the 2 dr. jk is a jeep, the 4 dr... just dont know.

hope this was informative..
Old 11-30-2006, 04:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

It is nice to see someone have an open mind about the JK instead of just hating it because it is new.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:16 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey paroxysym, it really is wierd getting back into your TJ after driving one of these ain't it

Well, as most of you know, I too have a TJ... and a CJ... and an XJ and... I still can't wait to get my 4-Door JK Rubi!! Every which way I look at it, it's a Jeep to me and I love it just as much as I love my other Jeeps.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:13 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BeerMonkey
you test drove my exact jeep execpt for the color. after i drove it i had to buy it. after i had my jk about a week i had to drive my tj to deliver it to its new owner and i couldnt belive how bad it drove, i was just so used to it
yea it felt so bad after i drove the jk... but hey it was a nice ride nonetheless
Old 11-30-2006, 08:16 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by paroxysym
a 4 door wrangler just isnt a jeep to me anymore. falme me if you want but ive had a tj and a yj and those were jeeps. the 2 dr. jk is a jeep, the 4 dr... just dont know.
Same here, i test drove both 4 door and 2 door. And the 4 door just didn't feel like a jeep anymore. Not to say the 4 door wasn't nice, because i think it was a better vehicle overall. But to give up my tj i had to have another jeep. And the new 2dr JK's felt like my old tj just 100% better. The 4 door felt like my 2003 jeep Grand, but more rugged.

That said Now that i have a two door I think I am going to get a 4 door also in a year or two. I am going to wait until they fix some things.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:18 PM
JK Newbie

Well let's fast forward shall we. Sold the tj, bought a dodge diesel, and then a xj daily. Sold/selling the dodge this week, and trading the xj on a 09 4dr rubi unlimited. Test drove both a 6spd and a auto and ill prob end up with the auto. Love the 6spd but can't find one in the color I like and optioned like I want.
The auto is a bit sluggish. I must say that I'm a bit leary about the inside of the doors, seem like they will get scratched pretty easily with the paint exposed like that. Anyways test drove an 09 freedom top, 6 disc, all power options, etc. I got them to agree to removing the hardtop and installing a soft top. The auto is a bit shitty, and when I throw a 33 or 35 on there lord know how its gonna ride. Was a smoothe ride, love the system, love having power options. Very impressed with the jep itself.

Should have one within a month for sure..
Old 05-16-2009, 11:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

thought a 4 door wasn't a jeep

Old 05-17-2009, 03:27 AM
db1
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by vw73182

Isn't it amazing how time, and seeing a ton of these things out there will change your mind!!! I love the 4dr, the wife loves the 4dr(it's her vehicle), and the kids love it. It is the right vehicle for our needs.
Old 05-17-2009, 04:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too never thought of the 4dr as a jeep, It's growing on me but my 2dr 6sp is hard to beat. If only they made the unlimited with two doors or as a pick up i'd trade tomorrow.
Old 05-17-2009, 04:43 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by vw73182

Well things change- def enjoyed driving a wrangler. I'd get a 6spd but the got the one I want down $2k less than the 6spd. The 4drs are legit

Quick Reply: tj owners impressions after test drive