Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Tires dry rotting.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:37 AM
dsp
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tires dry rotting.

Has anyone had problems with their Hankook mt's dry rotting? This is the 2nd set of tires we have had that showed signs of dry rot. Cracks between the tread blocks. Have had the current ones on since june of 10. I don't remember having any kind of cracking in the bfg km's.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:39 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Youri
I have hankook dynapro MTs and I haven't noticed them dryrotting at all.

I don't do anything special to take care of them or preserve them.
Thats what I have...How old are yours??? I took the Jeep to Discount Tire this morning... and they wouldn't even properly check the tires out... it was raining and all the guy said was " they look perfectly fine to me. " I told him I had tons of tiny cracks in the rubber all around the lugs? )I think thats what they are called) but my tires were so wet.... I was trying to dry them off with my sleeve but he wouldn't even look... BUT last year I brought the jeep in - with the same problem- and they told me it was dry rot and shouldn't be happening... those tires were like 15 months old these are about 10 months old! not even a year! Discount tire you really disappointed me... now I guess I need to contact the regional office with picture and also Hankook..... I will post pictures in a bit...
Old 04-08-2011, 11:16 AM
dsp
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jkgirls tires are only 10 months old. very good shape no rock rash or cut lugs. 2nd time this has happened.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try giving them a mud bath treatment.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:28 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My freakin toyos are doing that, I got over 30,000m on them but my coopers didn't do it.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:46 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ok...not the best picture... and yes I know it dosen't seem like much-- but really should 10 month old tires be doing this around the "lugs" in the tread? the rubber its cracking around the lugs.. this happened last year to another set but it was wayyy worse- as we finally got them replaced at 15 months..... this is only the beginning at 10 months...

Quick Reply: Tires dry rotting.