Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Tired of Reading the SAME Thing.. so here are some answers

Old 04-06-2009, 10:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tired of Reading the SAME Thing.. so here are some answers

Use synthetic oil or don't.
5w-20 is what it says in the book.
BOTH oil types can be used beyond a 3000 mile interval.
If you don't want to run it longer, then don't.
If you change your syth-oil EVERY 3000, you are wasting money.
Conversely, if you change "dino-juice" EVERY 3000, youre not "saving" any either.

COMMON STATEMENT

"I will have a paper trail of my service in case of warranty issues".

Oh yeah? Most receipts are printed on thermographic papers. The others are unprotected ink on acid based papers.
After a year or two you will have a collection of mostly blank paper. Unless you keep a humidor in your glove box.

and

Stop asking "what other people are running" half way through a thread. They have already told you. Maybe you haven't gotten the answer you "really want" yet. In that case do exactly what you want, and when someone else asks the same question again, throw in your ".02". At least then you'll have an opinion.

And don't say you looked but you can't find it. There isn't a question about a JK you could think of that hasn't already been covered 3 times. LOOK HARDER.

Yes I have wondered about all of these simple questions. Thats why I looked them up. And i do find my information through the trials of others on this board. I like it. But DAMN, If i see another 35th post on a "what oil do you use" thread asking if it's OK to use 5w-30 instead....
Old 04-06-2009, 10:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent rant. So what oil should I use?
Old 04-06-2009, 11:00 AM
JK Jedi

so does this mean I can use 5-w30 if it is synthetic? hehe
Old 04-06-2009, 11:00 AM
JK Newbie

That is great but doesn't it say in the book to change it every 6 months or 6000 miles?
Old 04-06-2009, 11:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Donatello
Conversely, if you change "dino-juice" EVERY 3000, youre not "saving" any either.

COMMON STATEMENT

Oh yeah? Most receipts are printed on thermographic papers. The others are unprotected ink on acid based papers.
After a year or two you will have a collection of mostly blank paper. Unless you keep a humidor in your glove box.

and

Stop asking "what other people are running" half way through a thread. They have already told you. Maybe you haven't gotten the answer you "really want" yet. In that case do exactly what you want, and when someone else asks the same question again, throw in your ".02". At least then you'll have an opinion.

And don't say you looked but you can't find it. There isn't a question about a JK you could think of that hasn't already been covered 3 times. LOOK HARDER.

Yes I have wondered about all of these simple questions. Thats why I looked them up. And i do find my information through the trials of others on this board. I like it. But DAMN, If i see another 35th post on a "what oil do you use" thread asking if it's OK to use 5w-30 instead....

amen......i think you need a beer after that preacher
Old 04-06-2009, 11:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Sounds like someone needs to take a break from the forum! Although, a little truthful rant never hurts!
Old 04-06-2009, 01:18 PM
JK Freak

Funny you mention that about the receipt paper - that is so true - you fold them and tuck them away and the next time you look you can't read a thing. Maybe it is worth scanning and saving as PDFs for storage...

Old 04-06-2009, 01:29 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by deadspot
Funny you mention that about the receipt paper - that is so true - you fold them and tuck them away and the next time you look you can't read a thing. Maybe it is worth scanning and saving as PDFs for storage...
AAARRRGGGGG, Dont scan thermographic paper!!!!!!!!!!! It will go all black on you!!!!!

BTW, If I am using Royal Purple Synthetic then I can drop down to 5W20 right???
Old 04-06-2009, 01:31 PM
JK Newbie

COMMON STATEMENT

and

You forgot one.

To fit a 12.50 wide tire you will need a wheel with 4.5" of backspacing! NOW STOP ASKING!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-06-2009, 02:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Q: What are the biggest tires I can run on stock rims, with no lift and no rubbing?

A: The F'ing stock tires.

Quick Reply: Tired of Reading the SAME Thing.. so here are some answers