Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Tired of my 4 door want to swap for a 2 door...

Old 01-20-2009, 10:23 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by putnam dan
I believe that the four door (lwb) will be the end of Jeeps as we know them. Now the vast majority of people buying these have no intent nor desire to go off road their demands aka, heated electric mirrors, electric windows, luxury items, no leaks, why do I need to fold the windscreen? I'm never going to take the doors off? I need a plastic step to get in, can I colormatch the fenders / roof ... it goes on and on will in the minds of developers outweigh the minority of us who like Jeeps as they were 'off road' simple vehicles.

Opening the ranks to include those who want four doors and the utility that goes with it was a good move from a marketing perspective (though it does compete internally with vehicles that were target for this customer base aka the Grand) as the market is huge, but that hugeness leads to pandering to the wants of its majority members. Unfortunately that majority don't use Jeeps as they have been used in the past and as a result Jeeps will change.

2wd was the start, the next will be loss of the transfer case, then weaker components, plastic trim, mirrors on the sun vizors... Jeep becomes a memory, a name to recall used as an advertising gimmick to represent the great outdoors.

20 inches of extra frame isn't going to change that. Maybe in the long long long run, but at the end of the day, the 2-door's come with the same amenities as the 4-door. Not like it has all the luxurious items and the 2-door doesn't.

The 4-door I think will be split off into the Wrangler category like all the ones previously. Everytime a new thing comes in, everyone freaks out.

At the end of the day, it's still freezing ass cold inside, it still is a no frills vehicle and it still crawls and climbs.

And as long as it doesn't have a low windshield washing fluid light, it will forever remain that way.

Right now, you are right, its new and lots of people are getting them for the first time. This opens up a larger base for Jeep (which we want as consumers so they survive.)

It then acts like a filter. People who never bought Wranglers get them. The ones who never knew they "had it in em" to become avid off-roaders suddenly are.

The others realize how much of a no-frills vehicle it is and sell it.

We're just in that filtering process right now.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Laughingstok
gotta love that extra 5.2 degrees of breakover angle.

When you find out the other benefits of a 2-door over the 4-door, you be sure to let the rest of us know.

www.jeep.com
Turning radius.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:27 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by putnam dan
... mirrors on the sun vizors...
No, no, no. Not that.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:34 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Major Ho
No I'm in the same boat as the OP. I went in wanting a 2 door and impulsively ordered the 4 door sahara. Now I realize it is way too much room for me and absolutely huge.
Boomer NJ: Are you serious about that trade? I've made the same offer to a few other forum members and they've been less then enthralled and would rather sell. Gun metal blue was my second color choice too :p

LMK via PM
PM Sent! Let me know!
Old 01-20-2009, 10:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mikesjk
nice to see someone wants a real jeep finally.

My 12 and 14 yr old daughers fit in the back of the 2-dr just fine....
Old 01-20-2009, 11:17 AM
JK Super Freak

I used to have a TJ and loved it, now I have an Unlimited and guess what? I love it.

The fact is in a 4 door I can load up my wife, my 18 month old, my Australian Shepherd, a tent, sleeping bags, gear, camera equipment and then some all inside the jeep within the relatively dry and safety of the cab instead of on a roof rack or trail rack.

Try doing that in your 2 door and driving 7-8 hours a day to destinations beyond and including the trail.

Each has it's benefit and each has it's fall backs. The thing is they are both Jeeps, we are all part of a storied tradition, we all have an understanding of what a "Jeep thing" is, and I believe both are here to stay so STFU and go enjoy your JEEP.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

personally i like the 2 dr, but my real preference would be a gladiator. just cant see myself in the four door unless it had had a diesel and the turning radius of the 2 dr.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:19 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Rubidon
I'm surprised they are still making the 2dr Jeeps, all the haulers I see on the hwy are full of 4dr Jeeps.

I guess I wouldn't mind owning a 2dr as a back up vehicle for stuff like when I need to fill the gas can for my lawn mower, or drive the garbage to the front, stuff like that.
Surprised they still make the 2dr!?.....i shouldn't even have to call it the 2dr because it never used to be called the 2 dr......the day they don't make a swb wrangler....it will be a very sad day
Old 01-20-2009, 04:22 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 01-20-2009, 04:47 PM
JK Freak

For now the extra 20 inches keeps the wife happy...

Quick Reply: Tired of my 4 door want to swap for a 2 door...