Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Tired of my 4 door want to swap for a 2 door...

Old 01-19-2009, 08:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have two kids and could of got a 4dr same price as my Sahara but a regular Jeep is what I have been wanting my whole life so I got it.

BTW wife and kids don't ride in it much but when they do its not a problem.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:49 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Laughingstok

Hell, it even gets better gas mileage.

www.jeep.com
I beg to differ. But I too am considering a 4 door in 2010. Wait and see what Jeep decides to release I guess. I am hoping for 2010 they will come out with different engine and axle options.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:09 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mikepike1868
I love my 4 door, but it's way too much Jeep for me and more than I "need". I would like my Jeep as it is, but a 2 door. Has anyone heard of anyone else doing anything like this? I would want to keep my rims and tires (33's) and a couple other add-ons for the 2 door. My 2007 JK Sahara Unlimited, Red Rock Crystal, has 20k on it, hasn't been in 4wd yet (I know, I know ) has a 2" spacer lift on it with a BDS steering stabilizer, and is in great shape. Full doors.
Anyway, what do you think? How much would I ask for in exchange for me giving up the 4 door for a 2 door? Anyone interested?
I'll trade ya straight up! Mine is a 2dr Gun metal blue, '07 soft top, only has 10k miles. That should make up for the extras you're throwing in! (like the wheel/tires... ) I'll even leave my Alpine stereo for ya! Seriously, I would consider talking about trading ya...
Old 01-20-2009, 04:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

No I'm in the same boat as the OP. I went in wanting a 2 door and impulsively ordered the 4 door sahara. Now I realize it is way too much room for me and absolutely huge.
Boomer NJ: Are you serious about that trade? I've made the same offer to a few other forum members and they've been less then enthralled and would rather sell. Gun metal blue was my second color choice too :p

LMK via PM
Old 01-20-2009, 04:51 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 07crawler
what?? you think you would GET money? in the exchange....you couldn't pay me to take a 4 door..but that's just my
No its not I feel the same way.LOL
Old 01-20-2009, 05:23 AM
JK Freak

I'm not meaning to stir shit up, my post was more directed at AK4Dave who was also stirring the pot.

I was just pointing out that really the only advantage a 2-door has is a better breakover angle (which can be fixed by just taking a better line) and is a few pounds lighter.

Now don't get me wrong, I love the 2-door's too and I think some of them are sharpppppp. But at the end of the day, anyone who looks negatively at a 4-door simply because its a 4-door is either ignorant or just trying to be a "true off-roader" which is silly.

This forum has already shown the 4-door has gone everywhere the 2-doors go, while carrying more crap.

And yes, it does get better gas mileage, which is why I linked the Jeep website. Just look it up yourself. It's not much, but it is better, 20 mpg highway as opposed to 19 mpg on the 2-door.

Anyways, just pointing out that that old horse doesn't need to be beaten anymore by any old fashioned 2-door owners. The facts are there. If you lined up two columns and put pros and cons of each, the 4-door would be the logical pick at the end. They both have the same approach and departure angles. The 2-door has a better breakover angle. The 4-door has a larger carrying capacity, climbs hills better, gets better gas mileage and carries up to 5 people.

Not looking to piss off anyone, just want to make sure people look at things scientifically rather than with their "gut."
Old 01-20-2009, 05:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

The two doors looks better to me. I guess I am a traditionalist.
There have been times when my wife wanted more space or somebody complained about entering the back seats. I like to travel light and I hate to carry all the crap that you need to carry when you have two kids!
Old 01-20-2009, 05:53 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by putnam dan
Offroad they will both go to all the same places
I rest my case.

Though I like the 3-point turn reference, must be trail talk for having to go home.

Last edited by Laughingstok; 01-20-2009 at 06:03 AM.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:29 AM
JK Super Freak

I'm surprised they are still making the 2dr Jeeps, all the haulers I see on the hwy are full of 4dr Jeeps.

I guess I wouldn't mind owning a 2dr as a back up vehicle for stuff like when I need to fill the gas can for my lawn mower, or drive the garbage to the front, stuff like that.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:19 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are two sides to the argument that Putnam Dan states... Yes it does bring in "new" people to the Wrangler nameplate, but it also succeeds in keeping people in a Wrangler (like myself) who have outgrown their Wranglers, YJ, TJ, 2-DR JK. As many "newbies" who only see a SUV, there are as many former Wrangler owners who are glad there is a viable option that can hit the trail with a family. Plus there will be plenty of well maintaned 4wd 4 doors in the next few years to make some mean trail rigs.

Quick Reply: Tired of my 4 door want to swap for a 2 door...