Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Tire Review from JP Magazine

Old 01-01-2012, 07:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tire Review from JP Magazine

I just got the latest issue of JP Magazine (March 2012) and it has a decent overview of 37 tires for Jeeps. Pretty timely for me since I'll need to buy some new tires in the Spring (once I take the snow tires off).

You can see the entire review at:
http://w ww.jpmagazine.com/techarticles/wheels/154_0908_off_road_tire_performance_guide/index.html

If the link doesn't work, do a search on the website for "Off Road Tire Performance Guide"

They gave a personal experience write-up plus a rating (4 High, 1 Low) for Street, Heavy Rock, Sand, Snow, Mud, and Ice.

I'm thinking of one of the following:
  • Goodyear MT/R (Street: 3, Heavy Rock: 4, Sand: 3, Snow: 3, Mud: 4, Ice: 2)
  • BFGoodrich MT KM2 (Street: 3, Heavy Rock: 4, Sand: 4, Snow: 3, Mud: 3, Ice: 1)
  • Falken WildPeak A/T (Street: 4, Heavy Rock: 3, Sand: 3, Snow: 3, Mud: 2, Ice: 3)
I'm out in Utah and do most off-roading over sand, rock, and slickrock ... not much mud out here. And, take them off in the winter.

My inclination is actually toward the Falken WildPeak A/T. It's a decent priced tire (important for me) and I've heard pretty good reviews on it from other sources than JP Magazine. My concern is the when aired down (normally run around 16-18lbs). Any Thoughts?

Last edited by Robar; 01-01-2012 at 07:21 AM. Reason: Please do not post clickable non-sponsor links
Old 01-01-2012, 07:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi

Thanks

The link is from 2009 and is a older guide.

In the mag, did they say something about the new tire Cooper MAXX S/T ?
Old 01-01-2012, 07:53 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Every time I looked ay the Falkens they looked like regular car tires. I have seen several Jeeps with the Falkens and side by side with the Duratracs. The tread on the Duratracs is much more aggressive with little road noise.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

The falkens continue to impress me on a friends RAM yet to see it have any issues. I love my duratracs to an extent. From my understanding the cooper s/t, duratracs and another tire from gy are all made from the same compound in the same facility. Only differences are sidewall and tread pattern. I like the coopers too.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:46 AM
EzK
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Omar Brannstrom
Hi

Thanks

The link is from 2009 and is a older guide.

In the mag, did they say something about the new tire Cooper MAXX S/T ?
The st maxx looks promising but they only come in regular truck sizes. I'm looking forward to seeing 35s+.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:20 AM
JK Freak

did they rate the stock rubi tire?
Old 01-01-2012, 12:50 PM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by armycop
Every time I looked ay the Falkens they looked like regular car tires. I have seen several Jeeps with the Falkens and side by side with the Duratracs. The tread on the Duratracs is much more aggressive with little road noise.
I agree with you. I don't care how great of a tire the Falkens are, I just find they don't look good on an agressive looking off road vehicle such as a Jeep...especially a modded one. Kinda like having oversized stock Sahara tires. I like the look of an agressive tread on a Jeep, but that's just me. Duratracs are a nice compromise I think and they look pretty good.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:23 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Runewolf1973
I agree with you. I don't care how great of a tire the Falkens are, I just find they don't look good on an agressive looking off road vehicle such as a Jeep...especially a modded one. Kinda like having oversized stock Sahara tires. I like the look of an agressive tread on a Jeep, but that's just me. Duratracs are a nice compromise I think and they look pretty good.
X2 on the looks of the Falken tires. I couldn't run em no matter how good they are. I have the regular Cooper S/T(not the max), and couldn't be happier with em. Price is good too. just something to consider.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:31 PM
JK Jedi

I don't need a real aggressive tire, only a good soft rubber that does really well on ice. When I replace mine I will want this, as well as the best and LIGHTEST tire. As added weight = less mpgs. Which are the lightest of the three you are looking at?
Old 01-01-2012, 03:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Because Falkens are about 75$ cheaper per tire I will probably be going with those once my Sahara tires give up.

Quick Reply: Tire Review from JP Magazine