Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

tire question,,

Old 11-17-2008, 01:43 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default tire question,,

Ok,, I did a few searches,, but since just about everybody puts the tires they run in their sig lines,, the search came up with too much to wade thru..

The question I have is for a set of winter tires,, or off-roaders,, I'm keeping the POS stock sra's that came on my JK for summer driving just for the fuel mileage.. I'm trying to pick a good winter and mud tire to buy,, I'm between the hankook mt's and the procomp xtreme mt's.. Now,, I will still be doing some serious highway,, I run 120 miles a day commuting,, and I live in the Pocono mountains and drive to just above Philly daily.. So I hit snow a lot.. and drive no matter how deep or icy.. I'm getting an extra set of rims and will keep these for bad weather or fun summer runs.. also I'm going with 285/70/17's so they wont be so big I need to regear.. I am planning a small lift also,, 2-2.5 rusty's or ome...

Thanks,,
Old 11-17-2008, 01:46 PM
JK Junkie

personally, Id get something bigger.. ESPECIALLY if you plan on lifting it. It seems most of the guys that get smaller size tires regret it and move up to a larger size.

Personally I have no experience with those tires but I would expect a mud tire to be what you dont want. an AT usually has better traction on snowy/icy roads, are more quiet, and usually have better mileage (both longevity and MPG's than a mudder)
Old 11-17-2008, 02:00 PM
JK Freak

I have an 08,, so I have 3.73's and no $ to regear anytime soon,, still not full time at work yet from my jeep crash in March and the wife has no return to work date yet,, so she is out 6 mos.+ still.. cash is an issue.. I've had at's and they were good on ice,, but deep snow not so much.. My 07 JK I had 31" GY MTR's and they were great in the snow,, but did not wear well and drove very poorly.. The hankook seems to be a less aggresive mt.. so?? But I plan on using these in the summer too..
Oh,, we get decent snows here and the roads do not get plowed well if at all in some of the areas.. I see more deep snow than ice..
Old 11-17-2008, 02:49 PM
JK Jedi

What I had done was run the Sahara stocker AT's for the winter on the stock rims. I just took them into my tire shop and got them to add more sipping to the tire for $20/tire. It made a world of difference for stopping and added more traction for Icy starts.

Then I purchased a set of 17's rims that I liked with M/T tires for the spring, summer and fall months. I actually went with a 33x12.5R17 STT and I have the 3:73 rear with a 6 speed and did not find much in power loss and about 0.5 MPG drop from the stock Duellers. Also, I added on a 2" Rubicon Express BB with mono shocks to lift it up a little for off road clearance issues.

This spring.....My tire shop offered me too good of a deal in trade ins for the stock Duellers for actual snow tires (over stocked in May) and I flopped the stock Duellers for Cooper Discoverer M&S with studs for the stock tires for $25 dollar difference/tire.

If you still have good tread on your Stock Sahara wheels....see if your tire shop will add more sipping to add more traction for winter.

Quick Reply: tire question,,