Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Tire falling apart?

Old 11-19-2009, 12:54 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire falling apart?

I found this slice in my tire... I have not run over anything and it wasn't there after my last jaunt off road...

My dad said it almost looks as if the tires splitting apart? I am not sure what it is.

Is it a defective tire or what? probably 30,000 Km on them. Is it safe to run on the road? it goes pretty deep into the lug.. at least halfway...

Old 11-19-2009, 01:21 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No worries! If you were to get offroad tires siped for better snow and water traction usually they go down to the bottoms of the lugs so deeper than your slice. Who knows what caused it but I wouldn't worry at all about something like that (and I was an engineer at Goodyear for a few months so I know a thing or two about tires)
Old 11-19-2009, 01:30 PM
JK Freak

Don't look now, but I think someone might have urinated on your tire!!
Old 11-19-2009, 01:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would make sure your tire is not hitting the rear pinch seam
Old 11-19-2009, 01:42 PM
JK Junkie

It looks like one of those "cuts" goes across the whole tread. Keep an eye on that one.

They are still in the lugs, so the worse that can happen for now is that you will get chunking, but you should keep an eye on the tire(s) and try to figure what caused them.

If they are still under warranty take them to the tire store.

If the cuts get down to the undertread and cap plies, replace them.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:53 PM
JK Freak

Ive been looking for the warranty, how many kms they are suppose to be good for but cant find it... they are mickey thompson baja mtz anyone know where to find it?
Old 11-19-2009, 03:27 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by morticon
Ive been looking for the warranty, how many kms they are suppose to be good for but cant find it... they are mickey thompson baja mtz anyone know where to find it?
Warranty on mickey thompson ? Good luck...!
Old 01-14-2010, 06:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

My MTZ's are chunking badly, I called Mickey Thompson today and they said to take them to the dealor and then have them send them off to be inspected by MT's warranty department. Once approved they will pro rate you for how much tread you have left. Pretty terrible deal for paying a "premium" for a "quality" tire. So what am I supposed to do while I don't have tires!!!
Old 01-14-2010, 07:54 AM
JK Jedi

I will guarantee it is a slice from a sharp rock or object you spun your tire over. This is no failure of the tire. Just got unlucky and spun the tire on a sharp object. It's happened to my Cooper STT's when I went snow wheeling in the rocky alpine and spun out and made a similar slice.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:05 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by thom1879
My MTZ's are chunking badly, I called Mickey Thompson today and they said to take them to the dealor and then have them send them off to be inspected by MT's warranty department. Once approved they will pro rate you for how much tread you have left. Pretty terrible deal for paying a "premium" for a "quality" tire. So what am I supposed to do while I don't have tires!!!

I ran one set of these MTZ's on my CTD....worst tire for chunking and wore out quickly. At the time It was damn near the price range of Toyo M/T's. I think I was lucky to get 25,000km on these tires..

Quick Reply: Tire falling apart?