Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Tips for my 1100 mile road trip (FL to northern VA)

Old 04-24-2008, 04:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips for my 1100 mile road trip (FL to northern VA)

I'm leavin this coming Wednesday to drive up and surprise my parents and also do some wheeling at Rausch Creek. Anyone have any good tips to make the long trip "Jeep friendly"? I already have 1 question... what PSI should I run my 33s at for optimal wear and gas mileage. Also, anyone have any recommendations on stops between here and there? My route takes me up past Jacksonville, Savannah, GA., Columbia, SC., I'm stopping for the night in Charlotte, NC., then I believe I go past Roanoke and on up through VA.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by H2_RESQ
I'm leavin this coming Wednesday to drive up and surprise my parents and also do some wheeling at Rausch Creek. Anyone have any good tips to make the long trip "Jeep friendly"? I already have 1 question... what PSI should I run my 33s at for optimal wear and gas mileage. Also, anyone have any recommendations on stops between here and there? My route takes me up past Jacksonville, Savannah, GA., Columbia, SC., I'm stopping for the night in Charlotte, NC., then I believe I go past Roanoke and on up through VA.
Yeah, watch out in southern VA for the State Police. They are out there with marked, un-marked, super un-marked cars, motorcylces with binoculars and everything everything else. Lately I've seen a number of Jeeps pulled over. Oh and it's illegal to have radar detectors, they have radar detector detectors. I'm not from here so I can get a little amped up about it.

You should stop in Roanoke, though. It's nice and scenic with a fair amount of civil war history. Are you talking about Roanoke Island in the Outer Banks area? Lots of good Pirate History too. It's a destination for a lot of us VA Jeepers since you can drive on some of the Beaches there. Have fun in Rausche Creek, it's a good good time. You hit Telico in NC yet?
Old 04-24-2008, 04:25 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default jeep friendly

HI H2. Agood route, keep it at 74 mph or less or the va state police will lighten your wallet. LOL Remember radar detectors are illegal in va, they can be siezed with no recourse by the troopers. They can tell when you have one on. The state police are a good outfit but they will enforce the laws. Enjoy the trip!
Old 04-24-2008, 04:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Between Jacksonville and Savannah is a nightmare of construction with speeding fines doubled and cops hiding where you least expect them. Also Try to miss "rush" hours in major cities if you can.

Not sure how much time you have but if you have time to wander look up the Blue Ridge Parkway which starts in Sc and runs through NC and into Virginia (I think). Basically it is a senic drive in the mountians and well worth the extra drive and time if you have it just for the sceenery. It is a bit off the route you have to drive however but it might not be so far off that it is not worth the extra drive time.

As far as taking the JK that far you may want to stop and stretch your legs a bit and get the blood flowing. It is comfortable on a trip however to save youself a bit of ache from the drive taking a couple of minutes to stretch every couple of hours is a good idea.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:00 PM
JK Freak

Run the speed limit, save money on gas mileage..what little can be had....come up the eastern shore....nice scenery.....come up route 9 when in Delaware...very nice coastal viewsl
Old 04-24-2008, 05:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the tips guys. Yeah, I won't be speeding, that's for sure. I don't think the JK can speed What is south of the border? A fireworks store I'm assuming?
Old 04-24-2008, 05:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Thanks for the tips guys. Yeah, I won't be speeding, that's for sure. I don't think the JK can speed What is south of the border? A fireworks store I'm assuming?
It's a tourist trap just inside the SC line from NC on 96. I have never had time to stop but I want to. I might just make a day trip up there just to say I have been there. The route you plan does not take you that far north on 95.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Music !! long ride = long tunes . Allman Brothers live Wipping post 20 min
basicly any live Allman bro's
The Outlaws live Green grass and high tides and so on . Ya need good driving tunes .
Old 04-24-2008, 06:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Skyline Drive - part of the Shenandoah National Forest - just a beautiful drive. VA troopers hit I-81 hard by plane and you'll probably never see it until you see the blues behind you. 10mph over is about all you get on the I-95 side. Drive safe.
Old 04-25-2008, 04:52 AM
JK Newbie

I have driven from TN to S. FL about 7 times in my 4-Dr. I would say the thing is just know that it is not that comfy but you get used to it. Wind noise will get to you, just turn the radio up. Enjoy the trip!

Quick Reply: Tips for my 1100 mile road trip (FL to northern VA)