Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Tips for Dealing on a new jeep

Old 01-19-2012, 09:55 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tips for Dealing on a new jeep

I buy a new car almost ever year, so I have some practice at this dealing thing. I have bought for myself from dealers, 13 new vehicles, 3 used vehicles, and have purchased 3 new cars for other people. I have never ever taken less than kbb trade in for any of my cars from a dealer EVER. I have only sold one car outright on my own and only because I was not replacing it.

Is anyone interested in a detailed write up on new jeep dealing tips as I have experienced them? Will anyone find value in this? I only ask because I have seen a ton of questions about dealing tips, trade-ins, etc...and I don't want to waste my time or yours cause it will be a long writeup...
Old 01-19-2012, 10:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd be up for a good read. I just got my 12 rubi 4 door for 17,900 when traded in with my 09 2 door x. They valued my old jeep at 19800. So to repeat myself I'd be interested!!!
Old 01-19-2012, 10:22 PM
JK Freak

Yes!!!!!!!!
Old 01-19-2012, 10:54 PM
JK Freak

cliff notes please.... I may have some questions. This isn't rocket science...

Somehow this reminds me of Donald D. "Don" Lapre ...

Old 01-19-2012, 11:57 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by m998dna
cliff notes please.... I may have some questions. This isn't rocket science...

Somehow this reminds me of Donald D. "Don" Lapre ...

Thank God wikipedia is back up, I had to google that one...

I rather think it is a bit of rocket science, but practice makes perfect...I have struck out dealing several times too. Damn this write-up is getting long :(
Old 01-20-2012, 03:29 AM
JK Newbie

I would very be interested in reading it. I just recently bought a '12 Sport S and may be buying a Liberty soon. My wife loves the Jeep but doesn't want another one. She really likes the look of the new Liberty so she gets what she wants.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:59 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by DG1976
Thank God wikipedia is back up, I had to google that one...

I rather think it is a bit of rocket science, but practice makes perfect...I have struck out dealing several times too. Damn this write-up is getting long :(
Yea... you must have quite the cashflow with the ability to buy a new car each year. Its about a $6K loss right off the bat. The first thing that comes to mind is you're writing off the depreciation as a loss.

With your purchasing turns, I can see the ability to negotiate KBB trade-in value fairly easy, however the rubber meets the road with the purchase price.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:52 AM
JK Newbie

Yes, you can take a real beating trading every year. That is true. You have to be a bit careful on what you buy if you plan to do it that way, or expect to just bend over every year...Ford trucks, Mercedes, and Wranglers hold there value well and so do VW's. I traded my 2011 VW and lost less than $3k (owned for 8 months and 18k miles) that translates to $375 a month loss--similar to a lease perhaps, but I trade much more often and at least in this case, about 1/3 of those miles were paid for by my company @.50 a mile. Which magically comes out to 3k...now conversely, I traded that VW TDI on a V6 mustang which does NOT hold its value well, so bending over may be in my future if I decide to trade. BUT, Now that I live in Michigan and pay tax on the full price of the car and not just the difference, I will not be trading near as often. I am planning to drop it down to every three to five years. Besides I have two cars I really like now. Also, I'm single and no kids, this makes a difference too...

The above was not my best deal, but somewhat typical. My worst deal was a Ford Ranger Traded in at one year, lost 6500--but it had at least $1700 worth of body damage that I was paid out for and was beat to piss. Also, My dad worked for Ford, so I bought almost everything at A-plan which makes a hell of a difference on your loss/purchase. I did get the Chrysler plan for a while, but sadly, not now.

BTW, I am not suggesting to trade every year, not even saying its smart, just seeing if anyone is interested in my thoughts and opinions on purchasing. My way not be the right way to purchase, but it is my way and only one mans opinion.

As far as trade-ins, every market is different...Around here it takes a White House Presidentially signed letter, a celebrity endorsement, and an act of God to get even close to KBB trade in for your car. Our market sucks...Detroit/Toledo.

Last edited by DG1976; 01-20-2012 at 09:15 AM.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:00 AM
JK Freak

Be able to walk away if the deal isnt right….
Old 01-20-2012, 09:36 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RodRecket
Be able to walk away if the deal isnt right….
That is the best rule... be ready to walk there are plenty of Jeeps out there.

I had a great deal lined up for my Jeep with the internet manager via email before I even walked into the dealership. When I came to sign the paper work I told him "If you can give me a fair price on my trade I will buy today". When they came back and low balled me on the trade. I wasn't a jerk about it I just had a really sad mood and said "dang, I was hoping to buy the jeep today" and started packing up my stuff, the dealer started to panic and said "well do you want to go ahead and do the deal and try to sell your car on your own?" I told him I am going to go up the street to another Jeep dealership and see what they can do for me and if that doesn't pan out I'll list my current car on craigslist for a few weeks and see how that goes. I also already had some previous offers that I thought were a little low and said I wanted to shop them around some more. He stopped me from leaving and went to talk to someone and was back in less than 30 seconds with a much better offer than the one I already had from carmax.

So in my case it worked out but I was more than ready to walk if I had too.

Quick Reply: Tips for Dealing on a new jeep