Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Three Car Seats in a JKUR?

Old 07-08-2012, 06:34 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 6 yr old, a 4 yr old, and a 3 week old. Baby is in a rear facing car seat in the center, using latch, and the two older ones are in boosters either side (secured with belts). I bought 8" belt extensions for them as they like having their independence! No problems. I'll take a photo if you like tomorrow? The only problem I see is if you needed to use latch for two kids - these seats would need to go on the outer edges, meaning the youngest couldn't be in the center.

I sold my 2004 rubi for a 2012 JKU Sahara just so I could have the three in the back.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:09 AM
JK Super Freak

5yr olds gotta be in boosters? My 5yr old stepson looks a little too big for those.. Now I'm gonna have to check my local laws..

I fit three across the back without boosters for the outside seats (One infant carrier in the middle )
Old 07-09-2012, 07:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Ok, just found it... Guess I'll be usin a booster for my stepson. He has to use it till he's 8 or 4'11" . 8 seems too old..
Old 07-09-2012, 08:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

My wife is paranoid about car seats so she has 2 of the largest 5 point harness seats on the market for my 2 kids. They can fit a kid up to like 90lbs or something crazy. They both have grown out of the 5 point harness but the seats were so much money I use them as boosters now until it's legal in my state for them to ride without a car seat (8 years old, they are currently 6 and 7)

Anyway that being said there has been PLENTY of times that we put a 3'rd kid in a booster in the middle. It's tight and a bit of a pain to buckle them in, but it works. We are also having our 3'rd in November and keeping the JK (Although we have a truck with 3'rd row as the primary family bus) as the second vehicle for 2 reasons:

1. No issues with fitting 3 kids in the back with plenty of space in the trunk
2. I like it

I did have a ford f150 king cab that fit 3 kids more comfortably than the jeep, which is what we traded in for the family bus. I'd rather have the versatility of the jeep over the wider back seat of an f150 any day as an owner of both. Plus unless you put a great cover on the bed, and an organization system in there, carrying baby stuff in a f150 is challenging to say the least.

Good luck and congrats on the little addition!
Old 07-09-2012, 09:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dypuz
Can you post a pic of this seat. Very interested.

This is true. I have heard of this as well. I can't recall how much I spent on my custom made third row seat, but it was much much more than if I'd simply found a 2nd row seat from a two door Jeep of any model. Think I spent $500? A $50 seat from a used Jeep would've worked fine.

Quick Reply: Three Car Seats in a JKUR?