Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Three Car Seats in a JKUR?

Old 07-07-2012, 06:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When picking out your seats, just tell the employee that you want to try the seat out first before you buy it. They will bring the seat out to the Jeep so you can install it and see how it fits. All the seats have the same standards. The key thing you have to look for is fit. The widest seat can have the same safety standard at the thinnest one.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:25 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Dypuz
When picking out your seats, just tell the employee that you want to try the seat out first before you buy it. They will bring the seat out to the Jeep so you can install it and see how it fits. All the seats have the same standards. The key thing you have to look for is fit. The widest seat can have the same safety standard at the thinnest one.
All car seats are NOT treated equal. I'm sure there is a minimum standard, but there is no question that some seats perform better in crash tests than others. Just because a Yugo and a Volvo passed the minimum test necessary to drive on USA roads does not mean they protect passengers equally.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:27 PM
JK Newbie

You can do it. Legit too. I'll come back soon and let all my car seat neediness come out. ;-)
Old 07-07-2012, 06:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

DON'T SELL!!!! My wife and I both have kids from previous marriages had between us we have 5 kids- ages 14 to 9 (yea I know). I wanted a JKU so bad last year I couldn't stand it- and I realized I could do a 3rd row seat. $260.00 from Best Top and it almost matches my other seats. I put seat belts in also and we have taken several family trips now with all 7 of us. It's better than getting rid of your toy

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-616635791.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	338539
Old 07-07-2012, 06:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sharkey

All car seats are NOT treated equal. I'm sure there is a minimum standard, but there is no question that some seats perform better in crash tests than others. Just because a Yugo and a Volvo passed the minimum test necessary to drive on USA roads does not mean they protect passengers equally.
Let me guess, you bought the airbag car seat cause its "safer." Key thing is fit. If someone goes out and buys the "Volvo" of car seats, it may not sit properly in your vehicle, then you might as well strap your kid in on your lap. Certain seats were made for larger cars and some for smaller cars. Unfortunately, the box doesn't specify that. Good luck going with the "expensive" car seat because its "safer."
Old 07-07-2012, 06:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

We put 3 car seats in a SVT Focus (one booster, two child seats... in a 2-door, too) and thought there was lots of room when we switched to the JKU. We moved through to 2 boosters and a forward facing child seat. We now have graduated one kid out of a booster so we have lots of room. It will get better. If you like the Jeep there is lots you can put up with. If you want to change vehicles that's something different altogether.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:53 PM
JK Newbie

Default It works!!!

I have a 3, 6, and 9 year old boys. I've ran three car seats since my youngest was born, and different kinds of seats throughout that time, from two rear facing, to one rear/one foward/one booster, to all three forward facing, and now to two boosters (one highback) and one forward facing. It works very well. I've even been T-Boned with all three kids in the Jeep and all were just fine. I show it off to all people who don't believe till they see it. It is totally possible and works just fine. Oh, and I'm 6'2" and my 9 year old sits behind me. All three go wheeling with me too. It's a blast!

There is no need for you to get rid of your JKU for an F150 or 3rd row vehicle you won't be as happy with. Stick with it, you'll be just fine!

Best wishes and congrats on your 3rd!
Old 07-07-2012, 07:03 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Dypuz

Let me guess, you bought the airbag car seat cause its "safer." Key thing is fit. If someone goes out and buys the "Volvo" of car seats, it may not sit properly in your vehicle, then you might as well strap your kid in on your lap. Certain seats were made for larger cars and some for smaller cars. Unfortunately, the box doesn't specify that. Good luck going with the "expensive" car seat because its "safer."
No, actually I didn't (no such thing as an airbag seat when my kids were of that age). I did my research and then went to a family owned children's store where every employee in the store had actual current certification by the state of California to install car seats, confirmed not only the fit of the seat in our multiple vehicles, but also the fit of my child (X's three kids, multiple times because they do actually grow) in the particular seat. To the extent modifications were needed to make a rear facing seat sit at the proper angle in one of our vehicles, the state-certified installers provided us with the necessary hardware (which, by the way, is typically not much different from a pool noodle) to ensure proper installation and they actually had us set the whole thing up multiple times in front of them to ensure the best (and therefore safest) installation possible. The width of the car seat, which is what will be determinative of how possible it is to fit three seats across in a Jeep, has nothing to do with how well the car seat "sits" in the vehicle from a safety perspective. What matters is the length of the base in relationship to the depth of the seat it will sit on. If the base is so long it hangs off the front of the seat, you are going to have issues.

Nice try though...go sell your bull$hit somewhere else because it's not selling here.

Last edited by Sharkey; 07-07-2012 at 07:08 PM.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sharkey

No, actually I didn't (no such thing as an airbag seat when my kids were of that age). I did my research and then went to a family owned children's store where every employee in the store had actual current certification by the state of California to install car seats, confirmed not only the fit of the seat in our multiple vehicles, but also the fit of my child (X's three kids, multiple times because they
do actually grow) in the particular seat. To the extent modifications are needed to make a rear facing seat sit at the proper angle in one of our vehicles, the state-certified installers provided us with the necessary hardware (which, by the way, is typically not much different from a pool noodle) to ensure proper installation and they actually had us set the whole thing up multiple times in front of them to ensure the best (and therefore safest) installation possible. The width of the car seat, which is what will be determinative of how possible is is to fit three seats across in a Jeep, has nothing to do with how well the car seat "sits" in the vehicle from a safety perspective. What matters is the length of the base in relationship to the depth of the seat it will sit on. If the base is so long it hangs off the front of the seat, you are going to have issues.

Nice try though...go sell your bull$hit somewhere else because its not selling here.
Funny thing is that your last post actually contradicted your second one and complimented what I said...so thanks. You actually made sense and said exactly what I did, just in more words. Proper fit IS the most important thing, not the brand name. Stop being so angry.

Last edited by Dypuz; 07-07-2012 at 07:15 PM.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rebelliousw0n
make sure if you look at a 6.0 that you have it thouroughly checked out by a diesel specific shop. The 6.0s are notorious for problems but with a little mechanical savvy they become minor setbacks.
The 6.0L powerstrokes aren't notorious for problems the just need to be properly maintained and watch temperatures between ect and eot. And if you want more power add head studs. I had mine since 2004 and just put studs in last year. And just put in a new icp sensor. All this with 420 rwhp. Get gauges and watch delta of ect and eot. Fuel pressure don't go under 45psi and you'll be fine. I have an edge insight cts.

Quick Reply: Three Car Seats in a JKUR?