Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Thoughts on Rubicon?

Old 05-27-2010, 09:11 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems a little high to me.

I bought a 2010 Rubicon Unlimited with Dual tops, tow package and all other options except the nav system. Paid about 3 grand less before trade.

I do not negotiate price when I buy vehicles anymore. I went to a dealer with my trade, and told them the price per month and the number of months (36 or less) I was going to pay. I let them figure out how to make the deal, since they want to sell it to me. I also left letting them know they have until 1600 to figure it out before I move on to the next dealer. This has worked several times with good results and a price that I am happy with.

Before I went in, I contacted my car insurance company and ask what the average price people were paying for the model and options I wanted. They gave me the average and low for my zip. This is public information and they should be willing to help. This gives you a real good idea. This is how I figured out a comfortable monthly payment.

Just a though.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:45 AM
JK Newbie

Default Rubi price

I think that price sounds reasonable. Sounds like Mr. Big got a great deal. I just bought by new Rubi unlimited a month ago. They had a sticker price of around 37,000 on it. It has auto, dual tops, and tow package but no navi. I did some internet shopping for prices on similar jeeps at other nearby dealerships, and found a dealership with a really low advertised price of around 31,000 on a similar rubi. I went to my dealer at the end of the month with a print out of that price. I told them I wanted to be close to 31,000 and they countered with 34,000. I then showed them the advertisement from the other dealer and told them I would rather buy closer to home but I wouldn't mind driving to the other dealer if they won't budge. The deal was done at 31,500 in like 2 minutes. Good luck. You will love your new JK.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:58 AM
JK Newbie

I do have to admit that timing is everything. Being a Sourthern boy, I did not think the prices fluxuated that much in the winter (never did in FL). I checked the stats a few minuts ago and the prices have jumped up since I bought in March.

I guess buying in the snow does help with the wallet.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MrBig
It seems a little high to me.

I bought a 2010 Rubicon Unlimited with Dual tops, tow package and all other options except the nav system. Paid about 3 grand less before trade.

I do not negotiate price when I buy vehicles anymore. I went to a dealer with my trade, and told them the price per month and the number of months (36 or less) I was going to pay. I let them figure out how to make the deal, since they want to sell it to me. I also left letting them know they have until 1600 to figure it out before I move on to the next dealer. This has worked several times with good results and a price that I am happy with.

Just a though.

That's interesting. I've always believed that negotiating a vehicle on monthly payments was a big no-no. Unless you go to a decent dealership, it seems like they have more wiggle room to screw you on the price by negotiating on monthly payments.

From my experience, I've always negotiated the vehicle in this order: price of the new vehicle, trade-in (if any), down payment, and then monthly payments.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:45 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 2007JKX
That's interesting. I've always believed that negotiating a vehicle on monthly payments was a big no-no. Unless you go to a decent dealership, it seems like they have more wiggle room to screw you on the price by negotiating on monthly payments.

From my experience, I've always negotiated the vehicle in this order: price of the new vehicle, trade-in (if any), down payment, and then monthly payments.
Ah, but the trick is to figure out what you want to pay for your vehicle, then subtract your trade in , add tax,tag and title and then calculate your monthly based on an interest rate that you qualify for at your local bank. This will give you your monthly payment. This number is what you go in with, plus or minus per month. The dealer has a lot of incentives and things they do not want to tell you about and can find a cheaper interest rate then a lot of banks.

This allows you to do all the haggling at home behind your computer to calculate a reasonable deal. I may have gotten a better deal if I spent six hours in the stealership negotiating, but my time and happiness is worth something to me. I got the deal I wanted for the price that was good for me and with in a $1,000 of the lowest price in my zip according to my insurance company.

My wife and I can really talk about how much we want to spend and figure all the details out before we get emotionally involved in the vehicle. The stealership makes a lot of money off of emotion and getting you to buy the vehicle mentally before you actually buy it. Since I am not at the dealership, I have nothing invested and can walk out, and they really do know this.

This is a process that works for me and may not work for someone else that is more into the details of haggling. I ended up paying around $17K for a 2008 Patriot Sport 4wd (factory ordered to my wife's spec with no trade in 2008) and really pissed off the dealership. Boy what a great feeling!

Last edited by MrBig; 05-27-2010 at 10:49 AM.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MrBig
Ah, but the trick is to figure out what you want to pay for your vehicle, then subtract your trade in , add tax,tag and title and then calculate your monthly based on an interest rate that you qualify for at your local bank. This will give you your monthly payment. This number is what you go in with, plus or minus per month. The dealer has a lot of incentives and things they do not want to tell you about and can find a cheaper interest rate then a lot of banks.

This allows you to do all the haggling at home behind your computer to calculate a reasonable deal. I may have gotten a better deal if I spent six hours in the stealership negotiating, but my time and happiness is worth something to me. I got the deal I wanted for the price that was good for me and with in a $1,000 of the lowest price in my zip according to my insurance company.

My wife and I can really talk about how much we want to spend and figure all the details out before we get emotionally involved in the vehicle. The stealership makes a lot of money off of emotion and getting you to buy the vehicle mentally before you actually buy it. Since I am not at the dealership, I have nothing invested and can walk out, and they really do know this.

This is a process that works for me and may not work for someone else that is more into the details of haggling. I ended up paying around $17K for a 2008 Patriot Sport 4wd (factory ordered to my wife's spec with no trade in 2008) and really pissed off the dealership. Boy what a great feeling!
That seems like a good idea. And you are right...the dealership makes a living on emotional buys. I like the idea of doing everything over the internet. Finding a vehicle online, calling the dealer, and negotiating the price over the phone/online. It takes the emotional factor out of it.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:04 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2007JKX

I went with my own financing, told them what i'd pay and what i must have for my trade to make the deal. Drove off in my $21,000 Rubicon
Old 05-27-2010, 12:10 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
I went with my own financing, told them what i'd pay and what i must have for my trade to make the deal. Drove off in my $21,000 Rubicon

Goody, looks like I should learn to negotiate from you for next time. That is a great price!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Rubicon?