Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

thinking bout trading in my unlimited for a 250

Old 07-02-2009, 02:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my jeep but it would not be the vehicle I would buy if I was needing to haul large loads of whatever you need to haul. I drive my jeep as a DD. I got exactly what I was looking for. It is a fun vehicle to have and right now and that is what I need. If the jeep is not what you need for you and your family sell it and buy what works for you!
Old 07-02-2009, 02:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

I don't know why you would even post something like that on this forum at least you don't want a hummer or a scion. I had a dodge Dakota before my jeep and i don't miss it at all
Old 07-02-2009, 04:07 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Dylanjam77
Hmmm, ask my father in law how good of a job my Rubicon did pulling his F250 out of the foot of snow he had it stuck in...
Just a couple weeks ago I was on a Boy Scout campout. There'd been a lot of rain and the parking area was super muddy. I drove in, no problem, Friday night. Saturday morning I go get my Jeep and hook it up to a trailer to do some work on the camp. A fellow in an F-250 pick-up with 4WD comes up and asks if my winch works. Of course it does. Well, turns out he was parked right near me and got stuck trying to drive out of the parking lot. Him, and another pick-up immediately behind him. I try to tow him out, but no joy--he's buried to the axles. So, I hook the Jeep up to a tree, then wind out the winchline and pull him, and his buddy, out. He comes up to me and says, pointing at the winch, "I've got to get me one of those!" I say he probably should just get a Jeep!

Bottom line: There's no comparing a Jeep and a pick-up truck. They're two different vehicles, both well-designed to perform their given tasks. My son has the F-150 that I had before the Jeep. Thank God, because sometimes I need to haul stuff and the Jeep is lousy at that. But, that F-150 would never make it to the places I've been in my Jeep.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:35 AM
JK Super Freak

I bet that if Jeep would not have blessed us with this pussy ass engine we would not be having this discussion. Its such a dog as a daily driver. That's why I got rid of my 07. Obviously, I missed the lifestyle too much and returned with my 08. If I ever start feeling down on power, I either go wheel'n or drive the wife's Infiniti.

Last edited by shredX; 07-02-2009 at 05:04 AM.
Old 07-02-2009, 05:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

I always wanted a Jeep my whole life but wanted the room. I kept my 2500 Cummins and just bought an 09 Rubicon. If you have the bank, keep it and get a truck. I didnt want to kick myself in the ass if I got rid of the truck. Now if I need room I switch to driving the Dodge, if I want to play, I take the Jeep. Both are on 35's so not saving much gas either way.
Old 07-02-2009, 05:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

[QUOTE=shredX;1213294]I bet that if Jeep would not have blessed us with this pussy ass engine we would not be having this discussion. Its such a dog as a daily driver. That's why I got rid of my 07. Obviously, I missed the lifestyle too much and returned with my 08. If I ever start feeling down on power, I either go wheel'n or drive the wife's Infiniti.[/QUOTE

The way you felt about the 07 is how i feel right now about mine.....damn dog! And I'll probably end up buying one down the line cause im probably going to miss the lifestyle too.
Old 07-02-2009, 05:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Having owned a new 99, 02 and 03 PSD I can tell you it's a great platform that I miss sometimes. While I somehow had bulletproof May 03 built 6.0 that was heavily modified as well for 65K miles I agree with the others to either stay away from the 6.0 or get an 06 or 07 if you have to have one.

Do your homework on Banks.

While he is the master of diesel performance marketing he is also the industry joke of performance products. Much to the point most diesel message boards will laugh you off the forum if you brag on wasting money on his products.

However, the retirees down at the RV park will generally think you made a wise decision because all they know is what they've read in Camper Trailer magazine where banks has advertised for the last 10 years.

Don't believe the hype.
Old 07-02-2009, 05:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Im not getting it. I have 35s, 5.38s, and a 4.5 lift. It drives as good as I would expect it to and has decent power. Ive had vehicles that were horrible and vehicles that were rocket ships on the highway. Its all about knowing why you have the Jeep in the first place and why you love it. And I have no leaks(yet) and no problems(yet). Oh and its a plus when people are constantly staring at it or asking about it. I know this is a forum to "discuss" things but for the life of me I cant figure out all the silly cry baby whining about "my Jeep does this and my Jeep does that and why doesnt Chrysler do this and that". It is what it is and if you dont like them dont buy it or get rid of it. And this wasnt directed at anyone in particular maybe I just woke up on the wrong side of the bed.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had a 98 150 that I traded for a

2000 XTERRA (first year, had to have it)

Xterra for 02 150 FX4 (year later bought TJ #1 in addition)

02 for 04 FX4 (also bought TJ #2)

04 for 07 JK Unlimited

08 took a job with a lot less $$ currently laid off for a short time and want a new 250 tired of JK (mostly rain)

Keeping what I've got, payment high enough

Health insurance won't cover this disease either unfortunately.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:11 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Alonzo98
So ive thought long and ive decided to trade in my jeep for an f250. I originally wanted to buy a 250 but decided to go with the jeep instead. I think i made a mistake buying the jeep. I personally dont think the jeep makes a good daily driver. Not the best gas mileage ( especially if you lift it and put larger rubber like i did), can pass up traffic very fast at all! on the expressway, not the best ride on roads, top leaks, hard time finding gears going up hills, and i cant keep those darn fenders to not look faded and gray. And yes i know..... its a jeep and not a Cadillac and its just a jeep thang. But c'mon...seriously?! chrysler could have done better. I think I'll be happier with my 250 and a banks six gun baby!

So does anyone else feel like i do? What car would you have bought if you hadnt bought your jeep and why? And if you dont feel like i do then good for you. Let me know what you think. I wish i was happier with my jeep.
I'd be careful if I were you. I had an '04 F250 I traded on the Jeep. It had a leaking head gasket, was blowing oil back through the turbo and the transmission worked when it felt like it. It was the 6.0 L. Those engines were a total failure and word is, the new ones are not any better. If I had it to do over, I would get the Dodge. The Cummins engines in those is the same design (although downsized) that Cummins has used for almost 75 years. I bought the Ford at the time because Dodge at that time had very little back seat room. Now they have a lot. I think you'll regret the Ford right now. That is, unless you can find a low mileage used 7.3......and good luck with all that.

Quick Reply: thinking bout trading in my unlimited for a 250