Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Things to check when picking up Jeep from dealership

Old 04-02-2012, 05:05 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Things to check when picking up Jeep from dealership

Hey guys, clearly I am a long time lurker, first time poster. I have wanted a Wrangler since I was a kid and I should be picking up my first Jeep, a 2012 Sport, from Dallas Dodge sometime this week. This forum has helped me figure out a lot without even having to post, but I couldn't find any threads covering this subject.

Anyway, my question is: what should I be looking for at the dealership to make sure that everything is there and properly attached?

If it matters, here is what I got:
2-Door 2012 Sport (B Package)
Metallic Silver
Automatic
A/C
3.73 Gears (Thanks to JK Forum)
Soft Top
Sirius Radio
Old 04-02-2012, 05:23 AM
JK Newbie

Check the body and interior for any damage. Once you leave they will say you did it. One time they backed the Intrepid in so I couldn't see the damage they did to the back. Another time there was a foot sized dent in the rear right door of the Jeep we bought. It was parked close to the wall in the service area. When I pulled away so my wife could get in she saw the damage. Voices in a big quiet building really travel. We heard the salesman tell the manager that "we saw the dent they put in the jeep." Both were new vehicles.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:19 PM
JK Newbie

Anyone else have any guidance when picking up their new Jeep from the dealership?
Old 04-03-2012, 02:43 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default take it for a good test drive not just 2 min.

make sure it shifts properly if standard or even auto . also check your soft top windows for any flaws such as buckles mine had a buckle in the rear window i didnt look it over due to rain. but i got them to replace it from another 12 on the lot mine was a orderd one . for most part you should be good to go but better to be safe ! youl find anoying little things as time goes on maybe but then you can have them fix it if need be . soft tops generely have water issues on lotsof them when you open doors in the rain it will flow right inside check for leaks around rear bow or anywhere during rain a storm . you can also treat the seams with mopar convertable top treatment wich can help ! spray bottle, inside and outside that will help too . you may be lucky enough like me this time to get a good one . check motor oil level at the dealer
mine was almost a quart short from factory ( 12 rubicon 7 miles on it )
so dont just asume levels are proper ! others have posted same issue .
look for any scratches, and be certain the underbody will rust fast
your going to need to rustproof it or bedline it . rustolium makes a decent undercoat in can. drive it home variable speeds , dont just get on highway and travel home you need to break in all speeds under 55 i think it is for at least first 500 miles but i sugest 1000
Old 04-03-2012, 03:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Off the top of my head in addition to the above:

-no cracks or chips in any of the glass
-the T-case shifts to all positions
-look for leaks, loose caps (oil, rad, power steering)
-did you get the right t-case (ya there was a thread here that noted a guy picked up his rubi with a 2:73 ratio not the 4:10
-fluild levels, oil, coolent, auto trans...

I would try everything down to the wipers, make sure everthing looks, feels, and operates they way it should.

I look for body panles that don't line up under the hood, around the doors. Do the doors close with a hard slam (for a JK)

Take your time, it's your hard earned money and your new baby.

Enjoy and don't forget to wave!!
Old 04-03-2012, 03:46 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jeepmojo
make sure it shifts properly if standard or even auto . also check your soft top windows for any flaws such as buckles mine had a buckle in the rear window i didnt look it over due to rain. but i got them to replace it from another 12 on the lot mine was a orderd one . for most part you should be good to go but better to be safe ! youl find anoying little things as time goes on maybe but then you can have them fix it if need be . soft tops generely have water issues on lotsof them when you open doors in the rain it will flow right inside check for leaks around rear bow or anywhere during rain a storm . you can also treat the seams with mopar convertable top treatment wich can help ! spray bottle, inside and outside that will help too . you may be lucky enough like me this time to get a good one . check motor oil level at the dealer
mine was almost a quart short from factory ( 12 rubicon 7 miles on it )
so dont just asume levels are proper ! others have posted same issue .
look for any scratches, and be certain the underbody will rust fast
your going to need to rustproof it or bedline it . rustolium makes a decent undercoat in can. drive it home variable speeds , dont just get on highway and travel home you need to break in all speeds under 55 i think it is for at least first 500 miles but i sugest 1000
It's funny you mention "break in period" When I purchased mine I asked a salesperson at the stealership about that. He did not think there was....asked another and they said no break in period so I said I can drive it like I stole It? She said yeah. I did not though. Anyway, I found a package in glove box that says read before driving. What do you know there is a break in period to not go over 55 for around 500 miles.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Make sure everything is there. Mine was missing one of the tie down hooks in the back and the straps for the softtop. If you are getting a softtop "DO NOT " let them tape the temporary tag into the rear window, mine left marks that are still there.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Don't forget to check the zippers. My rear window zipper was not zipped correctly, I noticed it after I got home the next day. I did get it undone and all was ok.

I would have the salesman show you how to lower and raise the top before you leave.

Oh yeah. Congratulations on joining the club.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:41 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also, register online to get full build sheet and not the one on the window. This is more indepth with all options. In past posts I've read some members we charged for skid plates and did not get them on vehicle.
Old 04-08-2012, 04:44 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default one more word of advise!

call the jeep 1 800 # and order your free copy of owners manual
the number is at the back of the cheap user manual they give you
but the big 500 page one is free to you but you have to request it
it will tell you everything youl need to know ! it takes time to figure it all out. things like disableing your hill side assistance wich i found was the most important to get rid of ! best of luck with the new jeep .
oh and do your first oil change at 1500 miles then every 3000 or as desired id say

Quick Reply: Things to check when picking up Jeep from dealership