Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Thieves Suck! (key and fob stolen)

Old 03-29-2009, 10:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thieves Suck! (key and fob stolen)

I had someone break into my wifes car last night, take her drivers license and house keys and the spare set of keys to my JK.

They then came to the house used the house key to get in and stole a bunch of stuff from my office while my son and I were sleeping and left.

I've changed the deadbolt on my house but I'm worried about the JK. Some tool out there has a fob and key to my jeep. I have insurance and gap insurance but I'd still like to not have to rely on that. I don't want to wake up every morning and wonder if my jeep is going to be there.

How practical is it to change all the locks? Is this something insurance would cover?

The only bright side in all of this is the idiot tried to take my web cam that is on top of my 30" dell monitor on my desk.. When he grabbed it, he pushed the button on the side to take a picture.. It's low res but you can see his face and my s**t in his arms. I burned copies of it for the police when they were here about 4:30 am. They said they have an idea who's been doing these roberies and this may help.. (hopefully he wasn't just saying that)

Anyway, back on topic, any suggestions or advice on how I can protect my jeep? Or do I just assume since they didn't take it last night that they won't steal it and were just looking for crap they can carry?
Old 03-29-2009, 10:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Never assume. I'd reccomend checking with your insurance companies, even the one for the house. Until then there are a couple options. Park it in a locked garage with a fresh lock. Get another alarm system unrelated to your key or FOB, so that it will go off if they try and joyride or use it for a robbery. Park it in a storage area and rent another Jeep for the short haul.

I'm sure others will have more idea's.

Sorry about your loss. Be sure to notify the credit card companies and your bank TODAY if you haven't already.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:28 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to the dealer and spend the 200 bones to have the dealer cut and program two new keys for you (have to be done in pairs). Once they do that your old keys will be useless, your insurance might even cover it. The JK keys are smart keys, so even if another one is cut properly if it is not programed it wont work.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:16 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have to re key the jeep and buy a gun dude!!!! maybe some motion sensors with lights as well. I would be on the hunt and up late at night looking for these perps. I will feel safe in my home!!!

Red

Good luck keep us informed, post that pick he took of himself lol i would like to see that s##t that is funny. I hope he gets caught!!
Old 03-29-2009, 12:47 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JAVO
I had someone break into my wifes car last night, take her drivers license and house keys and the spare set of keys to my JK.

They then came to the house used the house key to get in and stole a bunch of stuff from my office while my son and I were sleeping and left.

I've changed the deadbolt on my house but I'm worried about the JK. Some tool out there has a fob and key to my jeep. I have insurance and gap insurance but I'd still like to not have to rely on that. I don't want to wake up every morning and wonder if my jeep is going to be there.

How practical is it to change all the locks? Is this something insurance would cover?

The only bright side in all of this is the idiot tried to take my web cam that is on top of my 30" dell monitor on my desk.. When he grabbed it, he pushed the button on the side to take a picture.. It's low res but you can see his face and my s**t in his arms. I burned copies of it for the police when they were here about 4:30 am. They said they have an idea who's been doing these roberies and this may help.. (hopefully he wasn't just saying that)

Anyway, back on topic, any suggestions or advice on how I can protect my jeep? Or do I just assume since they didn't take it last night that they won't steal it and were just looking for crap they can carry?

If they think they know who it is use the JK as bait and shoot the SOB.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:10 PM
JK Super Freak

if you dont feel like rekeying the jeep you can still buy a lock that goes on the clutch or brake pedal which prevents the pedals from being pushed down.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Deere_Jeep
If they think they know who it is use the JK as bait and shoot the SOB.
oh god i wish it was that easy. i would leave keys in the jeep and have the cops wait all night. make it a sniper game.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:57 PM
JK Freak

get new keys cut and programmed like mentioned above. The old one will be useless for starting the jeep. they will still open the doors though. I sold over $11k in keys last year and never had one person say the old ones worked again! because they wont lol.
Old 03-29-2009, 04:24 PM
JK Newbie

Find the wire that runs to your fuel pump. Cut it and rewire it to a specific place in the cab of the Jeep. Hook a switch up to it and voila you have a fuel cutoff switch.

Just turn it off everytime you get out of the Jeep and flip it back on when you get in. The farthest you or a crook can get with the Jeep is a coupl hundred yards and then the motor will cut out. Not too many thugs will hang around a stolen vehicle that won't run.

I plan on doing this to my JK sometime down the line. Heck flipping the switch isn't bad and it makes me feel like I'm preflighting a plane.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:25 PM
JK Super Freak

I would post that pic ALL OVER TOWN. Start by posting here... I'd like to see what an a$$hole looks like.

Quick Reply: Thieves Suck! (key and fob stolen)