Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

These things are tough..

Old 12-19-2008, 09:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default These things are tough..

My JK got hit in the rear yesterday by a BMW while I was sitting still at a red light. It sure did put the hurts on the BMW, major hood damage and was leaking anti-freeze. She had to be toed. It seems my 35" MTZ spare took the blunt of the impact. Basically my rear bumper cover got a cut and some skin marks, the gate seems to have came out untouched. The body shop said they will pull off the spare and the tire carrier and give the gate a good look over. I was shocked that there was very minor damage done. It pushed me about 7 feet, it was quite a wallop.... Well, I just wanted to say how surprised I was to see such little damage for the size of the impact. A BMW is no match for a JK....
Old 12-19-2008, 09:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

I was tagged from behind by a BMW this fall while sitting at a red light. Her surprised face! She actually look so stunned that it happened and still had her cell phone close to her ear. It didnt push me 7 feet but it lifted my rear end up a little. I know this because my hitch receiver left a nice square on top of her hood in addition to her front end being a mess. Everyone was ok except for her car. I didnt even have a scratch on my bumper and everything was checked out to with zero damage.

Side steps to avoid door dings- CHECK
Trailer hitch to avoid mild rear ends- CHECK
People not talking and driving with cell phone-
Old 12-19-2008, 11:04 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wish my '99 silverado would fared as well. An old honda accord coupe hit me at highway speeds and bent the whole frame . What a mess that was...

Then the red 2 door JK came into my life
Old 12-19-2008, 11:08 AM
JK Newbie

I got hit in the rear last July by a F150, like yours my spare took most of the damage. My gate had to be replaced. The front of the f150 was smashed. Not to mention all of his lights he had mounted all over the front. Like many others, he was on a cell phone and didnt see me sitting to make a left.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

two thumbs up something big and fat...tires that is.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:12 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by wayland1985
I wish my '99 silverado would fared as well. An old honda accord coupe hit me at highway speeds and bent the whole frame . What a mess that was...

Then the red 2 door JK came into my life
Just another reason to buy Ford trucks. My Dad got hit by a Grand Prix doing 45 while he was stopped. The plastic trim on the bumper had a few scratches on it while the Grand Prix was totalled. All told that truck got hit 5 times over the 15 years my dad had it and the only real damage it got was when another Ford rear ended him with a snow plow attachment, the gate did not survive that one, but otherwise it was ok. Still can't figure how so many people missed a bright red '89 F350 Crew Cab
Old 12-19-2008, 06:23 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

These blow-moulded bumpers have had some serious criticism, but they act as a huge shock absorber. They are a 1/4'' of extremely tough plastic filled full of air. Hyundai and a couple of other builders are using this same setup under their bumper skins....
Old 12-19-2008, 11:13 PM
JK Newbie

Boy do I have a story to add to this one!!!

So one night me and my girl were driving home from a friends at 11pm at night 2 Days after i got my new Jeep. As we were sitting at a stop light 1/4 mile away from my house i saw a girl coming up and slamming on her brakes through the review mirror. Well she rear ended me i got out steaming pissed walked up to her window and asked her for her liscense and insurance. (im going to school to be a police officer) she tries to give me her license and voter ID card i again ask her for her insurance. after I get it all i realize shes totally drunk. I tell my girl to call the police. I then start writting down all her info and after my girl gets off the phone with dispatch she starts reading me the plate number. well the girl starts backing up and takes off almost hitting me!! I STILL HAVE HER LICENSE AND INSURANCE CARD IN MY HAND We call the police back tell them she has fled and then a cop goes speeding by around the corner.

He finally comes and meets us at the corner store and takes a report. the next day i call the insurance company and file a report with them. Now keep in mind the name on the License and the name on her insurance card are different and the insurence and car are registered to someone in NH. Well a few days later the insurance company calls me and tells me they dont have a name of anyone that was on the license and the policy number was expired a long time ago. I try calling the PD back with no response. The insurance company then tells me they sent a letter to the address on the license and the father of that girl said they were all in Flagstaff and it could not have been her. Well with no help from the PD i get in touch with the girl on the license (thank you myspace) and tell her there is a warrent out for her arrest since she is on the report. She told me that a co- worker stole her ID and gave it to her little sister. Who is the girl on the insurance. So she gave me the other girls info.

Long story short...well kinda long I got in touch with the girl who hit me and got my money for the bumper (trust me there is not much damage she it my tow hook) and I plan on buying a new Bulldog bumper soon!!

I love this story!!
Old 12-20-2008, 02:19 AM
JK Jedi

Default These things are tough...

They seem to be, having seen a number of impacts now they seem to do well. The important thing, they seem to protect occupants well in more serious impacts as well.
Old 12-20-2008, 02:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by smosh2002
Boy do I have a story to add to this one!!!

So one night me and my girl were driving home from a friends at 11pm at night 2 Days after i got my new Jeep. As we were sitting at a stop light 1/4 mile away from my house i saw a girl coming up and slamming on her brakes through the review mirror. Well she rear ended me i got out steaming pissed walked up to her window and asked her for her liscense and insurance. (im going to school to be a police officer) she tries to give me her license and voter ID card i again ask her for her insurance. after I get it all i realize shes totally drunk. I tell my girl to call the police. I then start writting down all her info and after my girl gets off the phone with dispatch she starts reading me the plate number. well the girl starts backing up and takes off almost hitting me!! I STILL HAVE HER LICENSE AND INSURANCE CARD IN MY HAND We call the police back tell them she has fled and then a cop goes speeding by around the corner.

He finally comes and meets us at the corner store and takes a report. the next day i call the insurance company and file a report with them. Now keep in mind the name on the License and the name on her insurance card are different and the insurence and car are registered to someone in NH. Well a few days later the insurance company calls me and tells me they dont have a name of anyone that was on the license and the policy number was expired a long time ago. I try calling the PD back with no response. The insurance company then tells me they sent a letter to the address on the license and the father of that girl said they were all in Flagstaff and it could not have been her. Well with no help from the PD i get in touch with the girl on the license (thank you myspace) and tell her there is a warrent out for her arrest since she is on the report. She told me that a co- worker stole her ID and gave it to her little sister. Who is the girl on the insurance. So she gave me the other girls info.

Long story short...well kinda long I got in touch with the girl who hit me and got my money for the bumper (trust me there is not much damage she it my tow hook) and I plan on buying a new Bulldog bumper soon!!

I love this story!!
Damn man. I don't think I have the gall to go that vigilante on someone like that. Shouldn't this have been dealt with when the police pulled her over and arrested her? Wouldn't the police report prove all doubt to your insurance company that you were not at fault and your insurance company takes care of it or takes care of it with her insurer? I just don't want to be left in a vulnerable position.

Quick Reply: These things are tough..