Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Terrible Service

Old 08-12-2008, 04:09 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bigback
Alright guys, here's what happened.

I show up today without a service appointment and I talk to the manager. I tell him about all of the little things wrong with the Jeep and how it's unacceptable and he was just telling me how everything was simple and an easy fix and I should make an appointment to bring it in. I also showed him the dent that was made from the workers while putting the new seal on the driver's side door and he said that the mirror didn't make the dent. I showed him how that when the workers were working on it they undid the harness that kept the door from slamming forward was unhatched how the mirror lined up exactly. He said why would they undo the harness? I told him that obviously they detached it to put the sealant on the door and how it lined up perfectly. He stopped arguing and said that I needed to speak to a service project manager and that he was not in today. I showed him the other concerns that I had with a lot of rust being on the underside from when I picked up the car new and he said that they no longer undercoat cars and that rust just occurs. I believe it but why would it rust like that? Seems like a poor design. Is this on all wranglers? It was like this brand new.

So, in all, I have the dent caused by the workers, a loose plug on the back tire cover, part of the hardtop when I take off the front that melts in the sun (we're talking New York sun), the rusting underneath, and a squeak that I had fixed last time, but it still squeaks while I'm on heavy gravel. Please someone tell me if I'm being ridiculous or anal. I'm sorry this is my first Jeep and I love it but some things just don't seem right. If anyone has any tips working with the service department at dealerships that would be great. I'm new to working with dealerships. I have attached a bunch of pictures that I took. I would appreciate it if you let me know if everything looks about right. Thanks!

Here are pictures: http://unfamed.net/jeep/
Im curious to know what dealer this is, as I live in Westchester as well. If you like you can PM me if you would rather not say on here.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by N2rock
the rust is normal (except that rust on your ebrake handle). The other rust (like the driveshaft and the knuckles) is normal. I read on another forum that it is called "sacrificial rust"- it's designed to do that as once there is a fine coat of outer rust, it will not rust any deeper.

Don't know if that is true... but reality is that those parts (even with rust) will outlast the life of your JK. Unless you break them wheeling, in which case you'll replace them with better parts anyway. But the dealer is not going to do anything about those parts, as every JK is like that.

THe dent is unacceptable!
I've seen guard rails and structual steel with the same kind of rust coating. Your rust is normal and actualy a good thing.

The dent is neither.

I'm beginning to think that they should have put the rubber bumpers on the hood for the windshield on each sides at those spots. More people take off their doors than will ever take down their windshield.

Hey! How is that for a mod? Side nipples along with hood nipples.

First dent the other side with its mirror. Use the dents to center a drill. Drill the same size hole the hood has for it's nipples. Use a little touch up paint to cover the bare metal and install new windhield bumpers on each side.

Would that look bad? Is this a stupid idea?

Any comments?

Last edited by berg; 08-12-2008 at 05:39 PM.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:35 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As a 35 year dealership employee let me tell you that a ''walk around inspection'' is not your responsibility. The dealership is responsible for that. If they don't note prior damage on the repair order then THEY are accountable for it. What the hell is a ''service project manager''? I've never heard of that one..... The best thing to do is raise hell in the customer waiting area making sure all their customers hear the whole story. The guy just blew you off with this project manager crap. Don't give up, worry the crap out of this guy till you get results. If he's the service manager he has complete authority to OK repairs to your Jeep. Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Terrible Service