Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Terrible Jeep dealership experience: Sales manager said he’s refunding my deposit an

Old 02-10-2010, 05:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Terrible Jeep dealership experience: Sales manager said he’s refunding my deposit an

I’m extremely disappointed in my experience with a large Jeep dealership near Scranton, PA. About two weeks ago, I ordered a new Jeep Rubicon Unlimited. Today, the sales manager called me to tell me he is refunding my $500 deposit and hung up on me. I was left speechless and stunned. Not that it should matter, but I’m a 34 year old polite, courteous, and professional individual. Where to begin…

Since the introduction of the Rubicon 4 door Unlimited, I’ve wanted one. About a year ago, I picked up my new company car (2009 Jeep Liberty 4wd Sport) from the same Jeep dealer in question. The transaction went smoothly and I like the Liberty a lot more than I thought I would. This experience combined with a sizable employee discount I receive with the purchase of any Chrysler purchase prompted me to start shopping around for a new Rubicon Unlimited. Due to my employee discount, the actual price of the new Jeep is the same at any Jeep dealer in the country. The only point of negotiation is the trade value of my 2005 Nissan Titan (low mileage, showroom condition, tons of high end newer parts, never wrecked, ect…). Based on the fact that I live in a very rural area and I want a Rubicon with specific options/color and a 6 speed manual, it became clear I was going to have to order this Jeep.

The first dealer (small, closest to my rural home) appraised my trade at $15,000. They were very professional and said they honor the trade appraisal for the 6-8 weeks it would take for the ordered Rubicon to arrive. They gave me this deal in writing and seemed to genuinely want to earn my business. I decided to check out one larger dealer about 1.5 hours away. The salesman I dealt with initially had me sit down directly with the manager of the dealership. The manager asked me what it would take for me to order and buy a Jeep from him. I told him if they give me $16,000 for my Titan I’ll leave a $500 deposit immediately. He agreed to give me all of the figures in writing, shock my hand, looked me in the eye and said, “Congratulations on your new Jeep”. He ordered the Jeep right in front of me and gave me a bunch of paperwork. He then said we’ll call you in 6-8 weeks when your Jeep arrives. At that time, I was to drop my Titan off and pick up the new Jeep. While the discounted Jeep Rubicon price was listed on the paperwork he gave me, I realized later that night that he didn’t give me the trade appraisal in writing. I went back to the dealership to get the trade appraisal in writing, but they were already closed (it was Saturday night). That’s when my problems began.

On Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday I left voicemails and sent emails to the salesman and sales manager. Neither returned my calls/emails. Finally, on Friday, I got a hold of the salesman who said he was out sick earlier in the week. I explained that they forgot to give me the trade appraisal of $16k in writing. He sounded dumbfounded with my request for a written trade appraisal request. He said only the manager has authority to do that, although he did concede they both offered me $16k for the trade toward the ordered Jeep Rubicon. I made several more attempts to reach the sales manager over the next week. He finally called me back nearly a week and a half later. The manager said his word is his bond and I don’t need the trade amount they offered in writing. I responded by saying he agreed to give it to me in writing and I’m very apprehensive about this whole deal now. I said I’m worried that in 6 weeks that he may say, “well Matt, market conditions have changed and now we can only give you $13,000 for your Titan”. He insisted that wouldn’t happen, and when the new Rubicon arrives, he will give me $16k for my truck (provided I return it in the same condition as appraised. In the meantime, I agreed to park it in my garage and not drive it much). However, I insisted he give me the trade appraisal in writing or he give me back my deposit. I was polite and professional throughout this and every conversation.

Now for the best part, this morning he called me back and said he cannot honor the trade agreement. He said in 6-8 weeks, market conditions will change and my truck won’t be worth as much. He tried to use the “it’s just business, you know how that goes” line on me. I was really pissed off and had to try hard not to lose my cool. I asked him if he actually took the “market conditions change” line that I used during our previous conversation. I told him I want to speak with the dealership owner (his name is in huge letters on the side of the dealership). The manager said this call isn’t going any further than him and refused to put me in touch with the owner. He told me he’s going to refund my credit card deposit and then he hung up on me.

I’m so disheartened by this whole experience. My last three vehicles were Honda, Acura, and Nissan. All of those dealerships treated me great. With service like this, I am amazed this dealership is still in business. My question to you all: what would you do if you were in my shoes?
Old 02-10-2010, 05:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Take a deep breath, realize that all sales managers and dealerships aren't the same. It seems all you have to do is go back to the first dealership and ask for $16K or $15,500 for your Titan... Ask them/Tell them "You won't let $500 or the $1k stop you from selling a brand new Rubicon will you"? I bet they won't. You are halfway there with a price you are OKAY with on the Rubi stay calm and make your deal. Assure them that they will make up the $1k or $500 on all the servicing you will be doing with them since they are your LOCAL dealership.

Then drive it to the Dealership who jerked you around and let them know you love it and they won't see a dime of your Service $$$$ where the dealer actually makes money.

Good luck, keep your chin up... DON'T let one Ass stop you from getting the Rig you really want.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:31 PM
JK Newbie

Didn't you post awhile ago that you ordered a green one?

They had a green 6 speed in St. Mary's.

Originally Posted by matt33
I’m extremely disappointed in my experience with a large Jeep dealership near Scranton, PA. About two weeks ago, I ordered a new Jeep Rubicon Unlimited. Today, the sales manager called me to tell me he is refunding my $500 deposit and hung up on me. I was left speechless and stunned. Not that it should matter, but I’m a 34 year old polite, courteous, and professional individual. Where to begin…

Since the introduction of the Rubicon 4 door Unlimited, I’ve wanted one. About a year ago, I picked up my new company car (2009 Jeep Liberty 4wd Sport) from the same Jeep dealer in question. The transaction went smoothly and I like the Liberty a lot more than I thought I would. This experience combined with a sizable employee discount I receive with the purchase of any Chrysler purchase prompted me to start shopping around for a new Rubicon Unlimited. Due to my employee discount, the actual price of the new Jeep is the same at any Jeep dealer in the country. The only point of negotiation is the trade value of my 2005 Nissan Titan (low mileage, showroom condition, tons of high end newer parts, never wrecked, ect…). Based on the fact that I live in a very rural area and I want a Rubicon with specific options/color and a 6 speed manual, it became clear I was going to have to order this Jeep.

The first dealer (small, closest to my rural home) appraised my trade at $15,000. They were very professional and said they honor the trade appraisal for the 6-8 weeks it would take for the ordered Rubicon to arrive. They gave me this deal in writing and seemed to genuinely want to earn my business. I decided to check out one larger dealer about 1.5 hours away. The salesman I dealt with initially had me sit down directly with the manager of the dealership. The manager asked me what it would take for me to order and buy a Jeep from him. I told him if they give me $16,000 for my Titan I’ll leave a $500 deposit immediately. He agreed to give me all of the figures in writing, shock my hand, looked me in the eye and said, “Congratulations on your new Jeep”. He ordered the Jeep right in front of me and gave me a bunch of paperwork. He then said we’ll call you in 6-8 weeks when your Jeep arrives. At that time, I was to drop my Titan off and pick up the new Jeep. While the discounted Jeep Rubicon price was listed on the paperwork he gave me, I realized later that night that he didn’t give me the trade appraisal in writing. I went back to the dealership to get the trade appraisal in writing, but they were already closed (it was Saturday night). That’s when my problems began.

On Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday I left voicemails and sent emails to the salesman and sales manager. Neither returned my calls/emails. Finally, on Friday, I got a hold of the salesman who said he was out sick earlier in the week. I explained that they forgot to give me the trade appraisal of $16k in writing. He sounded dumbfounded with my request for a written trade appraisal request. He said only the manager has authority to do that, although he did concede they both offered me $16k for the trade toward the ordered Jeep Rubicon. I made several more attempts to reach the sales manager over the next week. He finally called me back nearly a week and a half later. The manager said his word is his bond and I don’t need the trade amount they offered in writing. I responded by saying he agreed to give it to me in writing and I’m very apprehensive about this whole deal now. I said I’m worried that in 6 weeks that he may say, “well Matt, market conditions have changed and now we can only give you $13,000 for your Titan”. He insisted that wouldn’t happen, and when the new Rubicon arrives, he will give me $16k for my truck (provided I return it in the same condition as appraised. In the meantime, I agreed to park it in my garage and not drive it much). However, I insisted he give me the trade appraisal in writing or he give me back my deposit. I was polite and professional throughout this and every conversation.

Now for the best part, this morning he called me back and said he cannot honor the trade agreement. He said in 6-8 weeks, market conditions will change and my truck won’t be worth as much. He tried to use the “it’s just business, you know how that goes” line on me. I was really pissed off and had to try hard not to lose my cool. I asked him if he actually took the “market conditions change” line that I used during our previous conversation. I told him I want to speak with the dealership owner (his name is in huge letters on the side of the dealership). The manager said this call isn’t going any further than him and refused to put me in touch with the owner. He told me he’s going to refund my credit card deposit and then he hung up on me.

I’m so disheartened by this whole experience. My last three vehicles were Honda, Acura, and Nissan. All of those dealerships treated me great. With service like this, I am amazed this dealership is still in business. My question to you all: what would you do if you were in my shoes?
Old 02-10-2010, 05:38 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't take it personal, you are just number in the system.

It's just part of the sales game, which is epitomized by the used auto saleman. With margins decreasing, an economic slump and disastrous financial conditions in the industry it has to be a cut throat business.

They literally live by their line "What is going to take for you to buy the vehicle today."

Just go out and find another dealer. If you have 6-8 weeks you have plenty of time to try to sell your current vehicle on your own.

You can almost always negotiate a better deal when you don't have a trade in and you buy from inventory.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:58 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by <*)))><(

Yes, I ordered a green one from this POS dealer. He said I can still buy it when it comes in, but obviously I'm not going to do business with someone who is so blatantly dishonest. It sounds like this might be par for the course when dealing with some Chrysler dealers.

St. Marys, PA is 4 hourrs 15 minutes away from me. If I knew they would give me the right deal, I may consider driving there.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:07 PM
JK Newbie

Yes, I ordered a green one from this POS dealer. He said I can still buy it when it comes in, but obviously I'm not going to do business with someone who is so blatantly dishonest. It sounds like this might be par for the course when dealing with some Chrysler dealers.

St. Marys, PA is 4 hourrs 15 minutes away from me. If I knew they would give me the right deal, I may consider driving there.
There are not a ton of unlimited rubicon's to be had, so 4 hours is nothing. sometimes it's easier to buy one that is sitting there. If it is still there, then it's been there for awhile. I'm sure they'd be willing to deal.

Well good luck to you!
Old 02-10-2010, 06:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default I would..

go back to the first dealership, tell them the deal you want, and let them know the vehicle you ordered should be coming in to the other dealer. They may be able to work dealer trade on the same exact vehicle you ordered. Dont put up with the dealer trade costing money to go get. The guys that go do the dealer swaps make $8/hour and are retired guys usually. $8 x 8 hours =64 bucks. I purchased my Jeep this way, but for a differant reason. I went to purchase my Jeep 1 day and the dealership was locked up, closed for ever. I went to the next closest dealer and gave them the VIN, said I want this vehicle at this price. They said ok, no hassle, they had no money into the vehicle, so they moved 1 vehicle with little work.

Good luck.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:25 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by <*)))><(

Originally Posted by alt_phil
Hah, if you think that's a hassle, wait until you try to get some warranty work done!

But seriously, blow that dealership off and do no more business with them. I hate dealerships and just spent an hour and a half yesterday fighting with mine over warranty parts.

Customer service is a thing of the past. But if you're really lucky, you might find a small dealership willing to give you what you want.
Poor CS seems to be a common theme among Jeep dealers. It's starting to worry me a little. My Titan has needed some warranty work and I must say, my Nissan dealer has been beyond awesome. I needed one axle seal, they replaced both under warranty. I needed one manifold, they also replaced both under warranty. They installed an aftermarket exhaust system which I ordered from a third party and they did it for less than $80. When I owned an RSX, the Acura dealer let me pick any model Acura to drive as a loner while they replaced a power door lock switch that was damaged when I left the window open during a thunderstorm (and they did it under warranty).

Don't get me worng, I'm still set on getting a JK Rubicon, but I think I should lower my expecations regarding CS. I does piss me off though. I go the extra mile everyday for my customers.

Last edited by matt33; 02-10-2010 at 06:27 PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:33 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JungleJeep
go back to the first dealership, tell them the deal you want, and let them know the vehicle you ordered should be coming in to the other dealer. They may be able to work dealer trade on the same exact vehicle you ordered. Dont put up with the dealer trade costing money to go get. The guys that go do the dealer swaps make $8/hour and are retired guys usually. $8 x 8 hours =64 bucks. I purchased my Jeep this way, but for a differant reason. I went to purchase my Jeep 1 day and the dealership was locked up, closed for ever. I went to the next closest dealer and gave them the VIN, said I want this vehicle at this price. They said ok, no hassle, they had no money into the vehicle, so they moved 1 vehicle with little work.

Good luck.
I'm going to buy through the first dealer, but I don't see any real advantage to having them try to aquire the Jeep that was already ordered by the problem dealer. It was only two weeks ago and at this point I want nothing to do with them. I spoke with the original local dealer late today and they were more than happy to order a new one themselves and work out a deal with me.

This may work out great because I was actually was second guessing the natural green color I picked. I never saw it in real life until the other day and it was much darker than I expected. I'm thinking silver or white may hide dirt and scratches better.

Last edited by matt33; 02-10-2010 at 06:40 PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Poor CS seems to be a common theme among Jeep dealers. It's starting to worry me a little. My Titan has needed some warranty work and I must say, my Nissan dealer has been beyond awesome. I needed one axle seal, they replaced both under warranty. I needed one manifold, they also replaced both under warranty. They installed an aftermarket exhaust system which I ordered from a third party and they did it for less than $80. When I owned an RSX, the Acura dealer let me pick any model Acura to drive as a loner while they replaced a power door lock switch that was damaged when I left the window open during a thunderstorm (and they did it under warranty).

Don't get me worng, I'm still set on getting a JK Rubicon, but I think I should lower my expecations regarding CS. I does piss me off though. I go the extra mile everyday for my customers.
Okay, some folks here have given you good solid advice... Like one bad dealer not a company make and just go back to your local dealer and try to work the deal you were okay with when you ordered your Rubicon. Search the forum... some good customer service. Some bad. Same in all business. Good plumbers, bad ones... Good Dr's, bad Dr's etc., hopefully you get the point.

If anything your good luck with your Nissan dealer and Acura dealer should remind you that things can go well at a dealer. Go to a Nissan forum and you will find people that have had bad experiences at Nissan dealerships, the same at an Acura dealer. Just to start lowering your expectations and sounding like some victim isn't going to get you the deal you want on your Jeep. Why you wouldn't just call that first dealer who is your local dealer and try to do the deal I don't understand.

I personally have had nothing but a great experience from purchase through service with my Jeep dealer.

Last edited by Dylanjam77; 02-10-2010 at 06:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Terrible Jeep dealership experience: Sales manager said he’s refunding my deposit an