Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Teenagers may suprise you

Old 06-05-2009, 08:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by junk
Wow... what a horrible life view. I'm sure if you saw me, you'd probably lump me in that same group. I'm 27, have piercings, skate, snowboard, wakeboard, ride a sport bike, etc. I also happen to own a Jeep, which I guess you would consider my redeeming quality. Ignore the fact that I'm a professional systems administrator, speak 4+ programming languages, speak 2.5 human languages, work for the company that (likely) provides all of your online search results and am going to be buying a house in the next month or two. All that and I'm a Republican (Libertarion , when it's not an election cycle) in California. Who cares though, since I look like what you'd initially judge as a "waste."

I think you've officially branded yourself a bigot. Congrats. I'm gonna go "waste" some more of my life... on my boat.
Believe it or not, I did not start this thread with the intent to slam teenagers or people with long hair, piercings, dressed in black, etc...Quite the contrary. I was being self depreciating and self judgemental in the fact that I quickly jumped to a conclusion based on appearance only and was pleasantly suprised by the comment from the young teenagers. Unfortunately in my line of work I have to come to a rather quick assessment and conclusion based on past experience (14 years of it). And I rely on it to keep me alive. I have become very intuitive in my assessment of people and have been very successful as a result.

I admitted that I was wrong for being so quick to judge in this case, but that does not make me a "bigot". It's called experience. Maybe you will understand that in another 10 years. How about you not be so quick to label me a bigot based on a 5-6 sentence comment in which I was actually complimenting teenagers. By the way I have a teenager and believe or not, I actually like him and his friends. Sounds like you have a chip on your shoulder based on what I am sure are many judgements of you based on your appearance. So, Jeep on and keep rocking the boat if that is what makes you happy.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Spank
So let me get this straight. They're not a "waste" and possibly redeemed themselves as "potential juvenile delinquents" only because they commented positively on your Jeep?
Are you kidding me? People are reading way to much into this thread, and I find it hard to believe people are offended. I was trying to write a lighthearted comment about not judging people too quickly and how everyone can appreciate the Jeep. Somehow I became a bigot and so naive as to think because someone commented positively on my Jeep that they redeemed themselves. People need to get a grip. For those who saw the thread for what it was, thank you. I am officially done with this. That's all I have to say about that.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1JK's*
Are you kidding me? People are reading way to much into this thread, and I find it hard to believe people are offended. I was trying to write a lighthearted comment about not judging people too quickly and how everyone can appreciate the Jeep. Somehow I became a bigot and so naive as to think because someone commented positively on my Jeep that they redeemed themselves. People need to get a grip. For those who saw the thread for what it was, thank you. I am officially done with this. That's all I have to say about that.
I'd believe that if your thread wasn't titled "Teenagers may suprise you." You assumed that because you're among other Jeep owners, everyone would immediately jump onboard your bandwagon and rejoice in a holier-than-thou berating of teens crossing the street. Glad you're done with this absolutely useless thread.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:42 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by sniper41
Wow, such hostility! I would think even you would agree; kids are different than we were, I'm 41 anyway, and things I see today; my friends and I would never have done! Mind you, that's not all of them but still what does go on. Back in my day even the neighbors could smack you if you steped out of line. Today, some PARENTS fear their children? WTF? Oh, and I'm a Republican and a gun owner- so there!
I don't agree. I mean, sure styles and music have changed but the general concept of what it is to be a teenager is the same. Kids have the same problems and deal with the same BS. Perhaps the world has changed and made the perceptions of what kids are doing seem that much worse. How old were you when you first shot a pistol? How old were you when you got your first gun? Would you neighbors have called out SWAT if they saw you plinking cans with a BB gun?

Being a Republican is easy. Try being open about it, around a bunch of left coast psycho liberals. That's a real bitch.

Everyone should be a gun owner, regardless of politics. An armed society is a polite society.

Originally Posted by sniper41
i like how you dis yourself and cry that somebody judged a teenager when your username is "Junk"... ohhhhh the irony.

-snip-

i'm a teenager and i'll say one thing, some teenagers need to be judged by what they look like.
It also happens to be the username portion of my business email address. It's a smart business choice, in my type of work, to have an odd "handle" that's well known in interesting circles. The old adage, "Judge not, lest ye be judged" springs to mind. You shouldn't judge people the way you judge fruit. You can't tell if a person's rotten by taking a quick glance or poking them with your thumb. But hey, why limit yourself to teenagers? Lets judge everyone based on appearance. Now we can all feel better for thinking anyone middle eastern looking is a terrorist and black people are scary! Yay!

Unfortunately in my line of work I have to come to a rather quick assessment and conclusion based on past experience (14 years of it). And I rely on it to keep me alive. I have become very intuitive in my assessment of people and have been very successful as a result.
So you're what? A bad cop? One of the members of the DHS who helped compile a report insinuating that ex military types are likely candidates for domestic terrorist groups? I'd love to hear how a visual assessment of a person, who wasn't obviously brandishing a weapon, has saved your life.

I admitted that I was wrong for being so quick to judge in this case, but that does not make me a "bigot". It's called experience. Maybe you will understand that in another 10 years.
Even your defense is bad. You were wrong "in this case." And the reason you were wrong? Because someone said you had a nice Jeep. i posit that you are wrong in every case, where you make a baseless, snap, judgment about people. I hope to hell that, in 10 years, I haven't become so blind as to assume that my "experience" would justify this kind of thinking. Up 'til now, my experiences have all proven to me that people are generally good, regardless of appearance, and that a few rotten apples really don't spoil the bunch.
Old 06-06-2009, 05:01 AM
JK Freak

Gotta say I was in my teens back in the sixties and have found this thread somewhat intriguing. Amazing how little generational attitudes and differences have changed.As for myself, looking back there's a certain amount of Luck involved for one to get the Teen year's without going to Prison.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow. 1JK's* look like you struck a nerve with a few of these guys. Guess I'm a bigot too. I guess it is wrong to have some initial reaction based on appearance. Considering that some of these styles are based on being some form of protest to the establishment or the status quo. How dare you make an assumption based on their display of protest and how they present themselves to the rest of the world.

And for you holier than thou types that never commit the sin of judging a book by it's cover... It goes both ways. Have you ever seen a man in a nice suit and tie and thought to yourself, he must be educated and successful? Is this type of initial assumption wrong too?

Now before this fires some of you guys up (because I know it will), I too am being light hearted about this. Oh well, let 'er rip Junk.

Quick Reply: Teenagers may suprise you