Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Talk me out of selling my JK

Old 09-24-2009, 08:52 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kahntakt
Alright, here's the deal. I'm over here in the desert for another 4 months, and I am trading in my X when I get home. I have the '07 X 2 door, and love it, but I've seen its limitations, not to mention I have a 1-year old boy now and hate putting him in the back of the X. Ergo, I want the Rubicon Unlimited for the axles, lockers, swaybars, gears, doors etc.

My problem is that a Rubi costs as much as a full-size pickup, which would be much more useful in an upcoming move. My jeep is currently my DD and would continue to be if I bought the Rubi. And being a jeeper I'm good with impracticality to a point. However, I'll have $5K or 6K set aside in the jeep fund when I get back, and was thinking that could buy a pretty solid YJ to keep strictly as a toy if I bought the truck.

So bottom line; why do I trade the X in for a another JK instead of a full size truck + an old jeep?

*of course when I win that sweet lift kit from David at Northridge, It'll make the decision much easier*
That's really kinda funny cause I sold my YJ and Dodge Ram to get my JK. The YJ was my first Jeep and damn I bit the bug hard. That thing was a mountain goat and I wouldn't ta minded much if I had rolled it. But I had a third girl and family trips were out. Anyway, the wife suggested the 4 door and I was at first against it but gradualy came around. Sold both and I did get some "oh no . . . I got no truck" anxiety pangs a couple of times but dang if the 4 dr JK isn't a duel purpose vehicle. We all go 4 wheelin and the family loves it! and its a great daily driver. I do miss the truck from time to time but I wouldn't trade back to the truck YJ setup for nothin.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

OMG don't do it...your family may look like ours and really enjoy themselves in a four door Jeep.

Look at my kids trying to struggle in keeping a smile knowing they have to ride in a Jeep with no doors or top.

lol...I say go for the purchase of an Unlimited . As with everyone, if you have budget issues go for a used unlimited (there's probably a few out there with low miles) and truck rentals are available . Find one that suits your family needs tho . Just cant say anything bad about a four door...been thru quite a few off-road parks in the past summer with the kids and has been great so far .
Old 09-25-2009, 04:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

All right! You guys are pretty good at this. Loving it so far.

Is it really doable to make an X better than a Rubi for $5K? Seems like getting the gears and axels are going to run about that much, not even getting into bumpers, lift, tires, etc. I guess used stuff would work, but it still looks lke $3K plus just for used D44s off the forum.

Another question. Why can't I take the family out in the truck? I love the topless part, and I definitely get the fun factor. But as far as utility goes, I don't want to put them at risk on any seroius trails, so there aren't many places I can take them in the jeep that I can't take them in a pickup?

I'm pretty much sold, but don't stop. Truck or X or Rubi? I'm over here for another 4 months (61,379 minutes, give or take a day) without much else to think about while I'm not working.
Old 09-25-2009, 04:59 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

... Why can't I take the family out in the truck? I love the topless part, and I definitely get the fun factor. ...
I think you've answered your own question. Jeeps are fun. Fun will encourage the entire family to go. Pick-ups? They're great--when you need to move your neighbor's new washing machine. I like to be helpful with my neighbors, but that's not high up on the fun list.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Your son is one correct? ill bet he would love to ride in the jk with the top down and doors off. My son is 3 and he loves it. My dad is 52 and he wanted to buy a nissan 350z last month so we all wenting looking. When we were at the dealership we starting looking at one and then my son saw a used jk on the lot and grab my dads hand and pulled him over to the jeep and said pop pop get this one. so needless to saw my dad ended up buying a jk not that one but a jk. Kids are smart he made a good choice.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:30 AM
JK Freak

I have the '07 X 2 door, and love it, but I've seen its limitations, not to mention I have a 1-year old boy now and hate putting him in the back of the X.
First of all, I assume you are in the service, so with gratitude, I thank you. Second, congrats on your baby boy. With that said, In my albums you will see an awesome "YJ" , "TJ", and "CJ-8", all of which were sold & traded for the exact same reason you stated above. I also felt uncomfortable with my new family in those "Jeeps"(especially the fiberglass Scrambler), However the "JK Unlimited", with the full roll cage & four doors would have been, for me, a strong argument to maintain the lifestyle with open air fun. Now that my children are older, the "JK" has become a thread within our family fabric. Finally, in this forum, someone posted a crash test for the "JK Unlimited", which to me, provided evidence that this newer design has by far exceeded past models, in that it should give you a true sense of security when traveling with your family. Good luck with your decision.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:50 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
I think you've answered your own question. Jeeps are fun. Fun will encourage the entire family to go. Pick-ups? They're great--when you need to move your neighbor's new washing machine. I like to be helpful with my neighbors, but that's not high up on the fun list.
You hit the nail on the head.

...Is it really doable to make an X better than a Rubi for $5K? Seems like getting the gears and axels are going to run about that much, not even getting into bumpers, lift, tires, etc. I guess used stuff would work, but it still looks lke $3K plus just for used D44s off the forum.

Another question. Why can't I take the family out in the truck? I love the topless part, and I definitely get the fun factor. But as far as utility goes, I don't want to put them at risk on any seroius trails, so there aren't many places I can take them in the jeep that I can't take them in a pickup?

I'm pretty much sold, but don't stop. Truck or X or Rubi? I'm over here for another 4 months (61,379 minutes, give or take a day) without much else to think about while I'm not working.
The argument is not so much on whether or not you can do the things you do in the JK, with a truck - sure you can. I've owned a truck before, but I'd never seen my kids as excited to go anywhere with the truck, as they were with the JK. And when you take the doors and top off, believe me, they don't let me ask the question twice. Your son is one now - someday, he'll be 2.. 3...4... 5.... if you could ask your future 3, 4, 5-year old if he'd rather ride in the JK or in a truck, I'm sure you'd get your answer

Bottom line is, it's not so much of how much justification WE can give to keeping the JK vs. getting a truck as it is how badly YOU want to keep the JK or get a truck. Personally, I'd love to see you get the JK that works for you - but it's your vehicle, your money, your call. That said, you gotta do what works best for you, your family and your personal needs
Old 09-25-2009, 08:33 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just save your money and get a truck and keep the Jeep - that's what I did. Now I have a truck for a DD/work vehicle/toy hauler and a JK that sits in the garage for fun days.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

2 different issues here:

Not happy with current Jeep: You need an unlimited and you'll be super happy for the family, for a long time, so have a plan to get a JK Unlimited Rubi, but sell yours out right, no trading. Find one someone has done the things you would do, and save some big bucks.

The Move: Picture yourself there after the move. Want a Jeep or a truck? You can rent trucks and trailers to move, and it will cost you a lot less than buying a new truck and selling it 12 months later for a huge loss.

Everybody's different. You have to do what's right for you and your family right now.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:34 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ou sold your JK you would loose all of us!
we all know that you'd miss us

Quick Reply: Talk me out of selling my JK