Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Talk me out of a Rubicon

Old 07-10-2011, 09:02 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Remember either way .....Lifts, bigger tires 35", new rims, bumpers, regearing with bigger tires..... ALL going to cost you EVEN with a Rubi. I bought an X and built it up... Good luck
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3872153416.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	180334  
Old 07-10-2011, 05:38 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For me the Rubi made the most sense. I found the stock 4.10 gears to be just fine with 35's, and with the low range of the Rub transfer case the crawl ratio in 1st is about perfect for my off-road use, so there's no need to regear. The D44 front will hold up with 35's on the rocks much better especially when gusseted and sleeved. The e-lockers are much better than limited slips on the trail and much better than conventional lockers on the street. Those two things erased the price difference.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:07 PM
DJV
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JohnnyQuik
A loaded Rubicon has the nicest interior offered on any Wrangler... everything your Sahara has plus a few buttons it doesn't... Axle Lock and Sway Bar.
Your missing the point. He wants to buy an X to save money or a Rubicon and wait to do things to it. So you're assuming he's going to get the fanciest interior possible on the Rubi too. The Sahara gives him a jump start to only worry about off road capabilities rather than comfort in an X too.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:00 PM
JK Newbie

i often regret not getting the rubi, but i've really enjoyed building mine. disconnects are easy. lockers and gears are expensive. forget the bigger axles until i break mine.

dont get what you cant affordd
Old 07-19-2011, 07:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I chose the Rubicon, but, it does cost more up front. There isn't anything on the Rubicon that you can't add later.

If I had started with and X, I would probably have ended up with a Rubicon Clone by the time I finished.

Quick Reply: Talk me out of a Rubicon